Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

ad7ce86a3e10f8b0e45cb72daeb92dbd.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just a head clash in a marking contest with Dekoning. Spilled a bit of claret but he’s all good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Walsh also hurt his calf from a contest about 15 mins before this also with cripps. So he will be sore and he was limping back when he got to the rooms but I assume its just a sore calf from the kick as why the limp...

Webb moving well, thinking it will happen.

Lang super sharp in drills today. HHF?

Kennedy matched on Weiters and Jones in forward drills. Competed well, but physically monstered. Bit ginger on that troublesome knee. Did continue though.
I agree now about Webb, he was up and about and looked smooth today.. I kinda love Tom Dekoning and how he looks in general play, his leap etc is very nice. No idea about the ruck option yet, but I can see him playing roles in the forward line this year, he just looks like a guy who will get games to me...
Polson seems to be tried as a backman only this week, doing ok from what i saw.
Kennedy as a fulltime forward this week also..
Is it just me or is Levi frustrated and kinda missing the mark with follow up play etc.. He just seems like hes going through the motions a little to me.

Quick brunch, then 3 hours back to Bundy, before offering much more. Have a few photos, unfortunately battery died in camera before better stuff today. Will see what I have later.

Tried some videos of drills on phone, so we will see how they are too.

Interestingly, a couple of the better performers from Monday were scrappy today. Left foot snap goalkicking exercise, LOB couldn't hit side of barn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quick brunch, then 3 hours back to Bundy, before offering much more. Have a few photos, unfortunately battery died in camera before better stuff today. Will see what I have later.

Tried some videos of drills on phone, so we will see how they are too.

Interestingly, a couple of the better performers from Monday were scrappy today. Left foot snap goalkicking exercise, LOB couldn't hit side of barn.
Thanks Coona. Seems there are few consistent training stars. Granted, the extra heat and conditions would (deliberately) test the boys a little more.

:tearsofjoy: SO the options are he plays on the HBF like a 70's footballer or we push him into the midfield to play as a 7th defender?:tearsofjoy:
He didn't play like a 70's footballer when he made the AA team in 2017 so why do you think anyone is advocating that now? Seems like you are simply building a strawman again.
No, but he did jump forward of HBF for a few midfield rotations. He averaged 0.5 centre clearances and a couple of inside 50s per game in 2017 so he was definitely getting into the middle at times. Not a major player by any means but part of the rotations. I know named teams aren't worth much but he was named in the pocket 8 times, on the flank 8 times, on the wing 5 times and on ball once. Still think his home base will be hbf/deep sweeper, but he'll surely move up the ground a little too.

One last thing i would add...
Im a little underwhelmed with our kicking this week. Far to many missing the body passes, especially going into 50. At times in Maroochydore the wind is tricky though so Im hoping that was the main reason but for a fl professional team id hoped for better.
Weitering is either upsetting everyone or hes asked for more physicality as I noticed alot of banging into others as or off ball.
Jones is a freak, just uncanny to get back or spoil etc.
Honey is a goer. Good pressure up forward when he was there.
Phillips extremely raw, as expected. No where near in body or play but that is expected.
Gibbons was always around it and was involved most days i saw.
Lang bobbed up a fair bit in the right spot at the right time on that hff also.
Simpson looks 26 not 35 or 36 or whatever..
Betts will be such a good addition for us this year. Always found crumbs off big guys.

Some of MY observations from this mornings session. I'm hardly a training guru, so these are just a few things that caught my eye.

Wet and windy so just happy to be there.

Marchy, Plow, SPS, Fish, Kruz, McKay & Cunners on light duties. No Dow (although he did come out at the end) or Macreadie (overheard someone say that he was ill). Fish involved in some early drills and looked very good – didn't let anything past him – ball or man. McKay had some set shots which were all on target – kicking action looks solid.

Walsh is VERY intense and serious – not afraid to speak out - young Nathan Buckley. Works very hard, but from what I seen today he tried to do too much. Either got caught or burnt options trying to evade. Threw a pill into Willo’s back after getting tackled. Got a knock (from King) and went off – never came back. Before then his best work was his effort to work and find space outside or pushing forward.

Full ground drill starting from a backline (free) kick. Not a spectacle at all. Lots of kicking down the line. Only worked when they used some run and handball, otherwise it was broken up very quickly. The following drill was forward entries and this was no better. They found it very hard to find (let alone hit) a target. Perhaps this says more about the defence structure as there were no easy options.

DeKoning is a unit and has a serious leap and no fear. Looking forward to see what he can do with another year or two under his belt.

Simmo and Doc are just pros. Get to the right spot and find the right man. Eddie in this category as well.

Newnes moves very well. Polson seemed to be playing defensive.

Ramsay the pick of the newbies. Looked the most likely of any to get a game this year.

Gibbons was very relaxed, constantly laughing, joking and annoying. Good hands and gets to the right spots. I suspect that he’ll surprise anyone that thinks we’ve seen his ceiling.

Lang looked to be moving quite well, particularly in the forward drills. Noticed Stocker quite a bit as well – nothing special, just seemed to have time when he had it. Didn’t mind the body contact at all.

Kennedy was the one that I kept noticing though. Played mostly forward and worked hard to be a target against bigger bodies. Kept his feet, great balance and really good hands in slippery / windy conditions.

Midfield drills were away from my vantage point so I missed some the other household names. Cripps, Murph, Setters, etc.

Good moment at the end of the session. Newman took a ball to the boundary on the 50 and tried a check side dribbler and made an absolute mess of it. Murphy come from 20 meters away, grabbed a pill and went to the same spot. It snaked in 3 directions, but never looked out of control and bounced straight through the middle. He walked away and never said a word to Nic.

No, but he did jump forward of HBF for a few midfield rotations. He averaged 0.5 centre clearances and a couple of inside 50s per game in 2017 so he was definitely getting into the middle at times. Not a major player by any means but part of the rotations. I know named teams aren't worth much but he was named in the pocket 8 times, on the flank 8 times, on the wing 5 times and on ball once. Still think his home base will be hbf/deep sweeper, but he'll surely move up the ground a little too.
I would expect a HBF to be getting a couple of inside 50's a game and he had a centre clearance in just 5 games in 2017.

Interestingly the games he had centre clearances tended to be games in which he got the fewest possessions - 3 against port in round 5 for 21 touches, 1 against the demons in round 16 for 25 touches, 4 against the Lions in round 18 for 21 touches, 2 against the Cats in round 19 for 20 touches and 1 against the bombers for 19.

Again of note is the fact that Patrick Cripps got injured in round 16 of 2017 and didn't play again for the year, meaning only 3 of Docherty's 11 clearances came when Cripps was playing which indicates he was only "part of the rotation" out of desperation rather than strategy.

One last thing i would add...
Im a little underwhelmed with our kicking this week. Far to many missing the body passes, especially going into 50. At times in Maroochydore the wind is tricky though so Im hoping that was the main reason but for a fl professional team id hoped for better.
Weitering is either upsetting everyone or hes asked for more physicality as I noticed alot of banging into others as or off ball.
Jones is a freak, just uncanny to get back or spoil etc.
Honey is a goer. Good pressure up forward when he was there.
Phillips extremely raw, as expected. No where near in body or play but that is expected.
Gibbons was always around it and was involved most days i saw.
Lang bobbed up a fair bit in the right spot at the right time on that hff also.
Simpson looks 26 not 35 or 36 or whatever..
Betts will be such a good addition for us this year. Always found crumbs off big guys.

I noticed a lot of this against Taylor Walker last year at the G. He was putting in a lot of bodywork before the ball got to them. He thrashed Walker that day and hopefully a sign of things to come with how he plays the biggest forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back