Event 2021 AFL Brownlow Medal - Jack Steele finishes equal 5th

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s sad but I remember listening to Razor Ray talk about how the umps come up with votes and it’s no where near as impartial as we’d like. He mentioned that before the game they look at stats in weeks prior and discuss makes who may get the votes. It’s no wonder guys like Bont poll when they shouldn’t
(Late to this thread, I know!)

What's the answer though?
If you look at the Coaches Votes, the top 10 is almost identical except for Laird.
I don't think the umps can do the job well when they're too busy watching to see if someone shuffles his feet on the mark or if there was a tap on the elbow in am marking contest.
I would have said the coaches votes might be the best way to decide it, but coaches know if one of their players is in the running with a few rounds to go. It would be hard to imagine them all doing the 'right thing'.
Ex players are biased (imagine Derm doing it!)
Maybe the answer is to have a panel of ex-coaches doing it. I don't think 3 votes is enough to get defenders, wingmen and flankers in - so I think it should be a top 6 or something each week, or distribute votes to up-to 6 players or something.

(Late to this thread, I know!)

What's the answer though?
If you look at the Coaches Votes, the top 10 is almost identical except for Laird.
I don't think the umps can do the job well when they're too busy watching to see if someone shuffles his feet on the mark or if there was a tap on the elbow in am marking contest.
I would have said the coaches votes might be the best way to decide it, but coaches know if one of their players is in the running with a few rounds to go. It would be hard to imagine them all doing the 'right thing'.
Ex players are biased (imagine Derm doing it!)
Maybe the answer is to have a panel of ex-coaches doing it. I don't think 3 votes is enough to get defenders, wingmen and flankers in - so I think it should be a top 6 or something each week, or distribute votes to up-to 6 players or something.

Commentator + ex-coach approach.

Commentators get the play by play and all angles view to know the whos and whats it for "I called this guys name lotses and generally he was everywhere I looked to be badarse" ex-coach guys are then the "they did these things for these reasons in the match" and in the middle you have "these 3 players were unanimous and did good things in match, give the 3 to the bloke that didn't kick 7 but did have 40 pos with 20 celarances and 15 scoe invlvements and blah blah, give the 7 goal guy 2 as benficiary of hard work". Then you know, opposition wise you might have one shining beacon that was like "in weight of shitness and evennness on other side despite 2 peoples, they were beast mode" for the 1. You know, many reasons for things instead of mid 1, mid 2 and maybe a forward.

Make it a community effort, insular community of course, but still a community.

Commentator + ex-coach approach.

Commentators get the play by play and all angles view to know the whos and whats it for "I called this guys name lotses and generally he was everywhere I looked to be badarse" ex-coach guys are then the "they did these things for these reasons in the match" and in the middle you have "these 3 players were unanimous and did good things in match, give the 3 to the bloke that didn't kick 7 but did have 40 pos with 20 celarances and 15 scoe invlvements and blah blah, give the 7 goal guy 2 as benficiary of hard work". Then you know, opposition wise you might have one shining beacon that was like "in weight of shitness and evennness on other side despite 2 peoples, they were beast mode" for the 1. You know, many reasons for things instead of mid 1, mid 2 and maybe a forward.

Make it a community effort, insular community of course, but still a community.
Yeah, I was thinking ex-coach plus commentators. Maybe plus respectable ex-players like a Gerard Healy or someone. Brownie'll just keep giving his cousin votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Event 2021 AFL Brownlow Medal - Jack Steele finishes equal 5th

Remove this Banner Ad

Back