List Mgmt. 2021 draft pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez some of the highlights packages aren’t great this year. Obviously it’s due to less footy being played but some of the “highlights” are a bit nothingy. A player standing unmarked 35m out and converting the goal doesn’t tell me much except the defence was atrocious. Would love some more footage of their defensive acts and running. Guess you have to go to the games for that.

part of me wants the recruiters to trade our high picks out for next year when they can get a proper look. There will be massive bargains this year.
Highlight packages are deceptive anyway, even on normal years.

Even the worst player in the U18's would look great with the highlight package. The kid may be an atrocious kick, but even then the highlights package will show the few times he actually pulls it off making him look like a very acuate kick.

I have issues with 195cm KPF struggling to kick 45mtrs
Plus all his goals are colts games and am yet to see him really tested at a higher level

Not saying he is no good but just something about him that makes me want to avoid unless its our 2nd pick
Agree. His lack of contested game gives me massive Schache vibes

Last edited:
Do you think WC will take Amiss if Freo don't?
I'm not sure what others are doing, and a month out it's anyones guess really.
Not sure about Amiss, doesn't seem all that athletic from the highlights. But those highlights don't show much except a straight kick.
Would like to know others opinions because he looks to me like he could slip. But our recruiting staff will be all over this stuff.

Just hoping for athletic types as they have more upside and tall not particularly athletic forwards like Schache and others look good in juniors but struggle in the big time.

Starting to warm to the idea of going for Gibcus to be honest.

I've been harping on about the midfield being a big need, but drafting Gibcus would mean our tall defenders are set for a decade. We can still get some very good midfield kids at 15 26 27 28, but the best defender also being a local VIC boy will have us set for KPD. We could then go mids at 15 and two of the picks in the 20s, and grab a key forward in there as well.

I dunno though, we really do need quality mids...

Not sure about Amiss, doesn't seem all that athletic from the highlights. But those highlights don't show much except a straight kick.
Would like to know others opinions because he looks to me like he could slip. But our recruiting staff will be all over this stuff.

Just hoping for athletic types as they have more upside and tall not particularly athletic forwards like Schache and others look good in juniors but struggle in the big time.

I lot seem to be focusing on a group of four players or so a little different to the phantom drafts so I would be surprised if the same order is keep.

There is a bit of ducks and drakes going on at the moment but its funny, similar names keep popping up even among the amateurs.

I assume this means some will rise and others fall. At least we have pick 7

Callaghan seems to be a standout which we knew anyway, even from our recruiting team where a top 4 was identified, and Andrews a target for GWS but then things are a little less predictable

Getting pick11 or 9, which has been mentioned before, might not be a bad idea, if many are thinking similar thoughts.

At least people are aware some players have polarised opinions meaning some could slide to depending on who we are happy with at certain ratings

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been harping on about the midfield being a big need, but drafting Gibcus would mean our tall defenders are set for a decade. We can still get some very good midfield kids at 15 26 27 28, but the best defender also being a local VIC boy will have us set for KPD. We could then go mids at 15 and two of the picks in the 20s, and grab a key forward in there as well.

I’m big on Hobbs, but a haul of Gibcus and then say Sonsie/Johnson (wishing) at 15 would be huge

I lot seem to be focusing on a group of four players or so a little different to the phantom drafts so I would be surprised if the same order is keep.

There is a bit of ducks and drakes going on at the moment but its funny, similar names keep popping up even among the amateurs.

I assume this means some will rise and others fall. At least we have pick 7

Callaghan seems to be a standout which we knew anyway, even from our recruiting team where a top 4 was identified, and Andrews a target for GWS but then things are a little less predictable
Agree, the top few seem a given but after that it always comes down to the recruiting teams. I have some faith in ours as they don't tend to play it safe and follow the 'recruiting experts'. Half our side weren't even drafted the traditional way, and those at the top end were often drafted higher than expected. So potential seems a big factor at Richmond.

Just select players who do anything to win and thrive in the contest. Most draft busts happen because of a lack of fierce will to win and being timid:
Schache
Corey Ellis
Lennon
Aish
O’Brien
Tambling
Fiora
Morton
Rankine (question marks…)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree, the top few seem a given but after that it always comes down to the recruiting teams. I have some faith in ours as they don't tend to play it safe and follow the 'recruiting experts'. Half our side weren't even drafted the traditional way, and those at the top end were often drafted higher than expected. So potential seems a big factor at Richmond.

I think what I am suggesting is we should not misread the market.

Don't think other recruiters are not thinking what we are thinking. When I say we, I am talking about a few others which form a market. They are not idiots after all and must be respected.

The difference with us is we have picks to help us move up to get who we want . I guess what I am trying to say is a number of people seem to identifying similar players to cherry pick which means its hard to see them drift back while others not talked about so much may easily drift back.

It is interesting because some even identify differing views between some clubs already on certain players which a wise person would respect

and we have quite a few young mids who are just getting near AFL level who have been waiting in the wings for a while, which some posters want jettisoned for an untried kid. I'll give you Horne Francis, that kid is an absolute star in the making and will play plenty of footy next season in any side, both other than that, most of these kids will be a few years in the making. Gibcus looks very good.

Be interesting to see if we stay at pick7 really pick 9
And Hobbs, ward and Rachelle are all gone
And gibcus or Mac are still on the board
What would we do ??

I think this is unlikely, unlikely that some of those players do not last to that pick.

I say this because GWS seem ultra keen on MacAndrew to the point he may already be gone including GWS already trading for a pick for him. If GWS has not got him and he is at our pick, I am not saying we should pick him but GWS will want him and want to have our pick.

Others in that list could slide, they may not slide too far but they could easily slide.

Gibcus is an interesting one because he is KPP amongst mostly mids where teams build midfield mixs. It comes down to which clubs want a KPP versus other interests at certain pick so Gibcus could slide to but he will not slide forever either. Can't see Gibcus getting to 15, put it that way. I am not saying Gibcus is bad either but rather others could be focused on other players at certain selections which might see him slide a little. Its not like Gibcus has a body of work that commands he must be picked either at a early position, so he could slip a little, then again he may not. When one considers how far Grundy slipped Gibcus has shown less but Grundy's slippage was madness

Part of it is no one really knows for sure what Gold Coast, Adelaide and even Hawthorn will do and this affects Freo. People have a idea but its not solid

I am more confident of a top 13 than a top 7, if that makes any sense, and the top 3 is clear and most seem to know who they would like at 4 except GWS who have eyes on another player it seems

Last edited:
On reflection, I think we will take best available mids at 7 and 15 and then throw 1 or 2 key fwds in at 26,27,28. UNLESS we go early on Van Rooyen at 15.

Cant see us taking a Key back unless they can also play key forward given our lack of depth in key forwards.

On reflection, I think we will take best available mids at 7 and 15 and then throw 1 or 2 key fwds in at 26,27,28. UNLESS we go early on Van Rooyen at 15.

Cant see us taking a Key back unless they can also play key forward given our lack of depth in key forwards.
Not sure there will be TWO KPF in our picks in the 20s. Are you counting Bazzo as a forward?

I was thinking about the 'quality tall if they slip' comment you made.
There is no way Gibcus slips to 15. So then I assumed you were referring to Amiss. I couldn't think of any others 'slipping' to 15.

I would love the following haul if we could somehow pull it off,

7 Ward - not the bull that is Hobbs, but is more complete with a higher ceiling / Hobbs if Ward is gone though

15 Goater - Wouldnt be the worst pick at 7, but if there at 15 we would be laughing if not, then Mathew Johnson

20's picks -Any of Van Roo, Zac Taylor, Bhazzo and Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2021 draft pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back