Training 2022 - 2023 Off-Season and Pre-Season training Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct, name last player to miss time with a "sprained" ACL.

Google is a powerful tool to find out what words mean.

Suckling reinjured his ACL in round 5 of 2016 against the Brisbane Lions. He played his next game in round 10 against Collingwood. It may have been his ankle as well, but the knee injury was certainly a major factor in his time on the bench.

Correct, name last player to miss time with a "sprained" ACL.
Did the club call it a 'sprain'or 'strain'?

I thought they said 'strained ACL', which was confusing to me, as ligaments are 'sprained', while muscles or tendons are 'strained'

So an ACL sprain is a perfectly normal injury...though I think more tend to just rupture than get sprained.

Wow didn’t see that coming. Gotta say, Jeka training and playing forward today has me a bit worried about Lewis tbh. Seems unlikely they’d completely change tact with Jeka if Lewis was only missing one or two games.
I would think he’s out for a while. We won’t be rushed on him.

Wow didn’t see that coming. Gotta say, Jeka training and playing forward today has me a bit worried about Lewis tbh. Seems unlikely they’d completely change tact with Jeka if Lewis was only missing one or two games.
Nothing to be gained rushing anyone this season and I would actually love to see Jeka perform up forward with his aerial ability and his goal kicking conversion should be first class.

If Kosi doesn't take the next step, we definitely need another option besides Lewis up there in years to come.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Never ever heard of a sprained or strained ACL in any sport let alone AFL. Alarm bells are ringing louder and louder as each day passes on this ..

I do recall Luke Ball spraining his knee in a game, testing it out on the sidelines, then later rupturing his ACL when he returned to the field.

I'm far from an expert on this matter but I'm guessing the club believe the injury can heal over time and will take an ultra conservative approach with such an important player.

In the meantime it gives others an opportunity, which is a good thing in my eyes.

Thank you Big Hotdog and Matey...

Since the Mitch "mishap" this week at training, the overwhelming majority of posts have been around Jeka. Apart from the fact that Mitch hasn't ruptured his ACL and is mothballs for the season, people have either forgotten or are treating Kozi like rice paper. He did kick 6 in a pre-season match a couple of years ago and looked set to be the key man for that spot. However, circumstances including Injury and form had Kozi up forward, down back and in the Ruck. As people have alluded to already, he will not be paying back and nor will he be playing in the ruck. If there is no injury, Kozi will, in my opinion, be CHF and he has the opportunity this year to lock it in. He is quick, plays up the ground has good hands and can kick a goal. That leaves the vacant FF position until Mitch returns. I believe that position is already being eyeballed by Max Lynch. He has been used up forward with success in some of the simulation exercises. With Reeves and Meek, he knows that game time will more likely be Box Hill but the injury to Mitch could throw him a lifeline to the senior side. Already last year as a ruck going forward, Max had success. He also reads the play well, is quick for his size, is a brute and can take a strong mark. I think that he is ideal for the position. Throw Green into a pocket and then the opposition begins to have match-up problems.
Go Hawks!!!
Great post, here's hoping Kosi can have a good year and Lynch finally gets a run of good health and fortune.

Moore - Koschitzke - Wingard
Breust - Lynch - Brockman/Green

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought they said 'strained ACL', which was confusing to me, as ligaments are 'sprained', while muscles or tendons are 'strained'

So an ACL sprain is a perfectly normal injury...though I think more tend to just rupture than get sprained.

From the website:
Scans have confirmed Hawthorn forward Mitch Lewis has suffered a sprain of his anterior cruciate ligament following an incident at training on Monday.

Head Doctor Liam West says early signs suggest the injury will not require surgery.

"We will monitor Mitch's progress closely over the coming weeks," West said.

"He will certainly spend some time on the sidelines though and, at this stage, we expect him to miss Round 1.

"Whilst this is the same knee he injured last season, it is an unrelated injury."

The club will provide further updates in due course

From ACL Sprain Treatment in Dallas | Dallas Physical Therapy & Orthopedics

What’s the Difference Between an ACL Sprain and an ACL Tear?​

The two main types of ACL injuries are a sprain and a tear. An ACL tear is as it sounds – a tear in the anterior cruciate ligament. These tears are generally classified as either partial or complete. A sprain simply means the ligament is stretched, not torn. There are three main grades of ACL injuries, which we list below.

• Grade 1: The ligament is preserved, and the joint is stable, but the ACL has undergone minimal stretching and may have experienced microscopic tearing. Typically, surgery is not required for ACL sprains.
  • Grade 2 (partial tear): There has been some tearing, and the ligament fibers have separated. The knees are in a state of mild instability. Depending on the person’s level of exercise and the extent of instability, this rating may or may not necessitate surgery.
  • Grade 3 (complete tear): The ligament fibers have been completely torn in ACL tears. The ligament is entirely torn, and the knee joint is unstable. Surgical intervention is frequently required for a complete tear of the ACL, as the level of knee instability is high.

Love hearing that Ward and Worpel were playing well and that Jeka was playing forward.

Conspiracy time though - is Jeka playing forward a bad sign in relation to Lewis's injury?
Yep this was my immediate reaction.

From the website:
Scans have confirmed Hawthorn forward Mitch Lewis has suffered a sprain of his anterior cruciate ligament following an incident at training on Monday.

Head Doctor Liam West says early signs suggest the injury will not require surgery.

"He will certainly spend some time on the sidelines though and, at this stage, we expect him to miss Round 1.

"Whilst this is the same knee he injured last season, it is an unrelated injury."

Pffft, what would he know? I do my own research.......

Sorry for the positivity but I think the Lewis injury could be a blessing for our team.

Before I get flamed, I'm not saying Lewis missing is a good thing, obviously he's vitally important to our side.

Lewis's absence really puts the spotlight on two areas:
  • Forward entries from our midfield
  • Forward line structures

Lewis provides a great target to kick the ball on his head and get the ball to ground at a minimum. Whilst this worked well for us, when we are being beaten in the structural contest, it made our forward entries really impotent and often saw the ball head down the other end in a flash. The midfield now is going to be forced to lower their eyes and try to hit up a leading player rather than blaze away and hope Lewis can at least half the contest. Jeka seems a decent leading player, not so much in the one on one battles. Kosi has the workrate to push back and create space. Not thinking we are going to abandon the high ball as a last resort but often last year it was all too common, even when we were on a fast break and had lead up targets that could have been used.
The forward line will need to work together to create more space and allow for lead ups to be unimpeded. This isn't anything new but I think with Lewis absent, those players who take the easy route will stand out to coaches and supporters a lot more as we will likely see more turnovers and fast rebounds.

Hearing Wardy and Worps were strong in the intra is a great sign for our new look midfield. Stephens, Long and McKenzie have all featured in parts throughout the preseason which is great, healthy competition for midfield spots will only drive them to improve.

You’re giving to much credit to our external comms/marketing team…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the website:

I'm absolutely sure they changed the wording later.

It said 'strained' first....which didn't make sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2022 - 2023 Off-Season and Pre-Season training Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back