Universal Love 2022-24 Random Chat – brought to you by Harvest Snaps

Remove this Banner Ad

I rewatched All The President’s Men just a week back. Terrific movie. I’ve been trying to work trough classic films that I have somehow never seen, but I keep sneaking in ones that I’ve seen before.
Speaking of Oliver Stone, JFK is pretty good if you completely ignore it as a historic piece and just treat it as a descent into madness.

Been on a bit of a US history binge recently. Listening to the soundtrack of Stephen Sondheim's Assassins, podcasts about the revolutionary war and so on. Recently watched All the Presidents Men with Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman. Honestly a brilliant movie that takes a story that the details of were incredibly well known by the time it was released and managed to turn it into one of the most suspenseful movies ever, masterfully combined realism with splashes of style that have become tropes of the political thriller genre to this day.

Decided to follow it up with Oliver Stone's Nixon and had a big laugh at the opening which in true Oliver Stone fashion lays the mood on thick, opening with shots of the White House on a dark and stormy night as if it's The Amityville Horror
yeah i watched ATPM for the first time about 6 months ago, i enjoyed it too. check out The Post with Tom Hanks and Merryl Streep next if you haven't already seen it. it ties in nicely with ATPM.

I rewatched All The President’s Men just a week back. Terrific movie. I’ve been trying to work trough classic films that I have somehow never seen, but I keep sneaking in ones that I’ve seen before.
Bonnie & Clyde with Faye Dunaway & Warren Beatty was surprisingly good. Been meaning to re-watch 12 Angry Men.

Bonnie & Clyde with Faye Dunaway & Warren Beatty was surprisingly good. Been meaning to re-watch 12 Angry Men.
Must be decades since I watched 12 Angry Men. I might go To Kill a Mockingbird as well because Gregory Peck is lovely. If I stretch to TV shows I might watch Edge of Darkness starring Bob Peck and Joanne Whalley. That was great. As far as I can recall, that is.

Watched 12 Angry Men a few weeks ago. Pretty much a perfect movie.

I'm in Sydney. Haven't seen any swans gear anywhere yet. Whereas even the local rub and tug near my place in the bush had a Geelong scarf at the reception desk.

I have lots of other observations if anyone is interested.

I'm slightly interested.

.... and there are zero Swans/Lions posters/scarves etc in my hood.

Last edited:
Speaking of Oliver Stone, JFK is pretty good if you completely ignore it as a historic piece and just treat it as a descent into madness.
If you're interested in some light reading on the JFK period and the lead up to his assassination read the following books:
  • Not in you lifetime (Originally named Conspiracy) Completed initially completed in 1980 but updated in1998 then again in 2013 when some new records we released then. What makes this good is he actually got to speak with some that were still alive.
  • JFK and the unspeakable. Probably the most well researched book on JFK's assassination.
  • The devils chessboard. About the rise to power and reign of Allen Dulles in his time in the CIA and being part of the Warren Commission. The fact it has about 150 pages of reference and source material tells you how detailed it is. Some of the stuff he and the CIA got up to will make your toes curl.
I didn't read them but got them for my father who has probably read more books than anyone on the planet and said that even though he has followed news and info on JFK since he was killed these books gave him a much broader and deeper level of knowledge.

I might go To Kill a Mockingbird as well because Gregory Peck is lovely.
Do it. Great movie to watch for the time we live in now. Particularly seeing it's a movie set about 30 years earlier then when it was made in the 60's.

Now I want to watch it again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Accidentally bought this stuff called "Kale" in my online woolies order, anyone know what to do with it? Tastes a bit like grass.
Help appreciated Proper Gander
No sweat.

Bin it. I do.

You can try to hide bits of it in something that tastes nice, but it’s easier not to think it through

Accidentally bought this stuff called "Kale" in my online woolies order, anyone know what to do with it? Tastes a bit like grass.
Help appreciated Proper Gander
Reckon I'd give smoking it a go ahead of eating if it's grassy.

Reckon I'd give smoking it a go ahead of eating if it's grassy.
See you have to bring this down to your grubby little level, Hamster.

This was two upstanding adults having a discussion about cuisine until you destroyed it with your filth!

LMAO I'm from a ghetto no way I'm throwing out food no matter how shit it is. I don't even like getting rid off mouldy bread.

Hiding it sounds good, maybe chuck it in a hamburger and pretend it's lettuce or something.

LMAO I'm from a ghetto no way I'm throwing out food no matter how shit it is. I don't even like getting rid off mouldy bread.

Hiding it sounds good, maybe chuck it in a hamburger and pretend it's lettuce or something.
Italians bury it in a nice minestrone I think? As long as you get the proportions right you can get rid of some of the evil tasting things.

I’m like you. I hate wasting food.

It means some nights it feels like being a student again, and concocting a random stir fry comprising any fridge ingredients likely to go bad

If you trim the leafy bits off the stalks it's not too bad just quickly cooked up in a pan with some olive oil, S&P. Nothing overly exciting but add some seasoning and its fine. Or chuck inti a sauce/stew etc to give some extra veg content.

Or chop up fine and chuck some aioli with it to make a coleslaw kinda deal.

If you trim the leafy bits off the stalks it's not too bad just quickly cooked up in a pan with some olive oil, S&P. Nothing overly exciting but add some seasoning and its fine. Or chuck inti a sauce/stew etc to give some extra veg content.

Or chop up fine and chuck some aioli with it to make a coleslaw kinda deal.
Isn't it all leafy bits?

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love 2022-24 Random Chat – brought to you by Harvest Snaps

Remove this Banner Ad

Back