Game Day 2022 AFL Draft thread.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We usually do a GD Draft thread to keep the stuff out if the Drafting and trading thread.

WE will close that one for now and reopen after the draft.

Ive copied the last 25 posts over to keep the chat going.

All Draft talk in here now please.

GO Catters

Last edited:
I think we have a few live picks in the rookie draft

2 will be used on smalls. Maybe one on a taller player. But I think we need a first round quality KP player. De Koning shows you don’t necessarily need a first rounder to get talent but it would increase the chances.

You would assume that we will look to add more KP depth next year.

One or two more kpps tomorrow and a couple more with our picks next year for sure given our number of ageing talls.

He won't last to us.

I know he wont i said in my other post that he will be in the 1st 10 rookie picks (like dean last yr). But if he gets to us id take him.

Wait I thought we only had 1? We have two?? Oh sweet!!

Two of Ethan Phillips/Olivier Northam/Adam D'Aloia/Mitch Szybowski/Jed Hagan thanks!

Dempsey our only rookie
Osca 2nd rookie

2 more cat a rookies to come plus ted as cat b

About 8-10 years ago approx or maybe longer - when Paul Salmon was still in the media

And he was on with Sheahan during the draft - and Salmon was laughing and having a half hearted go - at Shifter - how he talks up every single one of those draftees as world beaters

Honestly draft day is a celebration for everyone. Imagine being a kid at home surrounded by friends and family and being badmouthed on live TV by a person you've never met.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dempsey our only rookie
Osca 2nd rookie

2 more cat a rookies to come plus ted as cat b

I know what I did now...I was convinced we'd rookie Simmo and we'd only have 1 pick in the rookie draft as a result...so I've been operating under that assumption even though things have changed.

Awesome surprise - love it when I'm wrong :hearteyes:

We will most likely only pick once. Keep a spot open to sign someone during the preseason or at the mid season.

Possible...though we could sign Northam as another local and then pick a slider. Doubt we'll go the MSD route again, as we were the one club not in favour of it originally- and it did not work out for us the first time around.

Apparently we were the ones who discovered Richards, but he was ineligible...and then everyone else jumped on board, so I guarantee we're pissed about that too, haha.

Reckon we might take two, but who knows really. Not too many delisted players I'd be that interested in, so wouldn't be surprised if we just go the rooks instead.

Also Ethan Phillips isn’t your typical defender. I know ppl are desperate for a tall key defender but he’s more a rangy interceptor. He just doesn’t scream AFL when you watch him in the VFL. Certainly not a lock down defender. Not sure he’s your man to play on the Lynch, Dixon, Ben Brown, King, Naughton etc.

We don’t lack for interceptors.

Honestly draft day is a celebration for everyone. Imagine being a kid at home surrounded by friends and family and being badmouthed on live TV by a person you've never met.
Agree - my opinion of the draft - it was great when it 1st came in - as you say a day of celebration

However my opinion - its becoming a Sham - it should be 4 years - not 2 years minium

You look at our draftee - Clark - gets presented with the jumper from our joint B/F winner in Cam Guthrie - it is all excitement - all smiles - and in 2 years time ( not neccessarily Clark because he is a local ) hes gonzo and in someone elses colours - that is approaching a sham in my opinion

Also Ethan Phillips isn’t your typical defender. I know ppl are desperate for a tall key defender but he’s more a rangy interceptor. He just doesn’t scream AFL when you watch him in the VFL. Certainly not a lock down defender. Not sure he’s your man to play on the Lynch, Dixon, Ben Brown, King, Naughton etc.

We don’t lack for interceptors.

That might be true but the data doesnt lie re the history of fothergill round medallists getting taken as rookies. I expect he gets taken.

Possible...though we could sign Northam as another local and then pick a slider. Doubt we'll go the MSD route again, as we were the one club not in favour of it originally- and it did not work out for us the first time around.

Apparently we were the ones who discovered Richards, but he was ineligible...and then everyone else jumped on board, so I guarantee we're pissed about that too, haha.

Reckon we might take two, but who knows really. Not too many delisted players I'd be that interested in, so wouldn't be surprised if we just go the rooks instead.

To be fair i think richards didnt nominate the year before as he had no other clubs show interest in him so that made him msd ineligible. Pity for us i think like carmichael that he will be good for collingwood

Agree - my opinion of the draft - it was great when it 1st came in - as you say a day of celebration

However my opinion - its becoming a Sham - it should be 4 years - not 2 years minium

You look at our draftee - Clark - gets presented with the jumper from our joint B/F winner in Cam Guthrie - it is all excitement - all smiles - and in 2 years time ( not neccessarily Clark because he is a local ) hes gonzo and in someone elses colours - that is approaching a sham in my opinion

And here is what John, recruiting consultant for Coles had to say about their latest acquisition Tim.

"I think Tim's a ripping young lad, a bit raw at just 16 but with heaps of flexibility, we think he'll probably start with stacking shelf but with a few years of experience we could easily be moved into a check out role or even in the bakery. Now that we've got him locked in we look forward to seeing how he develops over the next 4 years."

If we want to take a punt on a real roughie with big upside if they can get his fitness up and he is okay to adjust down in geelong, then Munkara...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back