Game Day 2022 AFL Draft thread.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We usually do a GD Draft thread to keep the stuff out if the Drafting and trading thread.

WE will close that one for now and reopen after the draft.

Ive copied the last 25 posts over to keep the chat going.

All Draft talk in here now please.

GO Catters

Last edited:
I'm also pretty confident that O.Henry and Bruhn will be better than the players taken around the picks we traded to get them.

Yep..with all due respect to sydneys weird drafting the way clubs started taking spec picks in the 2nd round (and therefore didnt rate this draft for depth) makes me feel much better about all those late picks we traded for henry (via brisbane). And pick 21 for bruhn looks good too.

Yep. I thought he spoke calmly, and quite deliberately.
He mentioned a few times that he's a smaller mid, and that he found that he could match it with the bigger ones because of his willingness to work in the contest. It tells me alot about him. He appears to be someone who doesn't talk himself up, but just goes about it through action. He's very matter-of-fact.

He mentioned a few times that he's a smaller mid, and that he found that he could match it with the bigger ones because of his willingness to work in the contest. It tells me alot about him. He appears to be someone who doesn't talk himself up, but just goes about it through action. He's very matter-of-fact.

Thought so too.

He seemed quite pragmatic, and carries an honest assessment of his ability and where he's at.

I like that, and from what I've seen - albeit a small sample - his attack on the ball is Selwood like. Love that.

Yep..with all due respect to sydneys weird drafting the way clubs started taking spec picks in the 2nd round (and therefore didnt rate this draft for depth) makes me feel much better about all those late picks we traded for henry (via brisbane). And pick 21 for bruhn looks good too.

Yeah it was pretty obvious that even the Pick 38 (Pick 43) I considered as half decent, was actually trash in the end. Keeler, Dowling and Richards were still there and were the only ones I would have taken, but everyone else was very speculative. The only picks we really gave up then was Pick 18 (21) and our Future 2nd (32-36) - as picks of worth for Jhye, Bowes, Bruhn and Ollie.

Everything else was close to worthless, given we didn't even use Pick 64 (Pick 57) in the end. - and the open draft ended at Pick 51 (excluding NGA's and F/S - Ashcroft, Fletcher, Rowston, Michallaney, Vickery, Jayden and Alwyn Jnr and Harvey).

No wonder so many tried to get out of this draft, and we were very happy to burn all our picks...knowing we could only take 2 live options, and that our last pick would be very speculative, regardless.

Even happier with our haul (if that was possible), having vindication that Wells and Mack were spot on with their assessment/decisions throughout trade and draft period. Ted, Osca and Oisin for free doesn't hurt either, haha.

Last edited:
Yeah it was pretty obvious that even the Pick 38 (Pick 43) I considered as half decent, was actually trash in the end. Keeler, Dowling and Richards were still there and were the only ones I would have taken, but everyone else was very speculative. The only picks we really gave up then was Pick 18 (21) and our Future 2nd (32-36) - as picks of worth for Jhye, Bowes, Bruhn and Ollie.

Everything else was close to worthless, given we didn't even use Pick 64 (Pick 57) in the end. - and the open draft ended at Pick 51 (excluding NGA's and F/S - Ashcroft, Fletcher, Rowston, Michallaney, Vickery, Jayden and Alwyn Jnr and Harvey).

No wonder so many tried to get out of this draft, and we were very happy to burn all our picks...knowing we could only take 2 live options, and that our last pick would very speculative, regardless.
I’ll ask you because you are one of the best around. Thoughts on our 2nd draftee

I’ll ask you because you are one of the best around. Thoughts on our 2nd draftee
He was the one that both me and Boris picked because of all the noise surrounding him, and he looks like he has some real talent.

The best ruck in this draft pool in Barnett went down, and Foster took his starting place and did it to aplomb. Kicked 25 goals in 13 games and marks the ball at its highest point. Also considered SA's second hybrid best ruck prospect behind Barnett given what he showed during that period, so looks to have some serious upside.

Knightmare (Chris Doerre) the resident talent scout on here and and the wider net, has him as a pick with a lot of development left to come, but some clear signs that he could actually be a steal. Said we might even start him off in defence - given some of his attributes might suit that judging flight of the ball in the air, in an intercept defender role.

All in all very happy with the pick, and think he's a lot more chance of making it than a lot of the other speculative kids at that range of the draft.

:)

Does anybody know what the order is for the rookie draft?
I presume not all of the clubs will have picks?
We've got pick 18. It's based on ladder position at the end of the season.

He was the one that both me and Boris picked because of all the noise surrounding him, and he looks like he has some real talent.

The best ruck in this draft pool in Barnett went down, and Foster took his starting place and did it to aplomb. Kicked 25 goals in 13 games and marks the ball at its highest point. Also considered SA's second hybrid best ruck prospect behind Barnett given what he showed during that period, so looks to have some serious upside.

Knightmare (Chris Doerre) the resident talent scout on here and and the wider net, has him as a pick with a lot of development left to come, but some clear signs that he could actually be a steal. Said we might even start him off in defence - given some of his attributes might suit that judging flight of the ball in the air, in an intercept defender role.

All in all very happy with the pick, and think he's a lot more chance of making it than a lot of the other speculative kids at that range of the draft.

My Norwood supporting mate who loves them more than his Crows really rates the kid but couldn’t put it into words like you can. He’s also on holiday overseas atm so I didn’t wanna bug him either. He’s thrilled that his club got Michalanney too.

No wonder so many tried to get out of this draft, and we were very happy to burn all our picks...knowing we could only take 2 live options, and that our last pick would be very speculative, regardless.

Even happier with our haul (if that was possible), having vindication that Wells and Mack were spot on with their assessment/decisions throughout trade and draft period. Ted, Osca and Oisin for free doesn't hurt either, haha.
The garbage we packaged up for Henry was absolutely worth it. Said it at the time but the absolute only pick of any value in that deal was next years F2 but hopefully that again will be 40 plus.

Clubs (like us) didn’t even get to use picks in the late 50s.

I know we had to chuck in Stephens to get it done but in reality getting Henry for Stephens + a pick around 40 next year is terrific. It would have been nice to grab a F3 back on that Stephens deal just for optics but again if there are only 60 players taken like the last few years then in reality we can take as many picks there as we have list spots.

Last edited:
Boris, I like the sound of Lovelock; mention of "brilliant hands" reminds me immediately of Brad Close.

Clean hands are so important; i can still remember someone - could have been Brereton in a Scum article - pointing out that kane Tenace wouldn't make it because he fumbled too much. Close when he was drafted was described as low-possession small forward who was great defensively. he's gone well beyond that now, but the thing that struck nearly all of us from the very start was his hands - he never fumbled and so his touches amounted to something.

The Western Australian saying they believe only 12 live or proper selections in the rookie draft. All others will be heaps of re-rookies or passes due to list spots.

That's very interesting...I still think there's a fair chance we pick up two rooks, given all the sliders left - as we don't have those issues and essentially have two free spots

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's very interesting...I still think there's a fair chance we pick up two rooks, given all the sliders left - as we don't have those issues and essentially have two free spots
If you like them then invite them to train. Try before you buy and make the call in January. There’s no absolutely urgency to pick them tonight as realistically nobody will be live picking after us in the second round.

To be frank given we pick last in each round we could leave both spots open. I think it’s going to happen more and more. Players in the last chance salon will go where the lists spots are.

Swapping him to defence makes sense, his ball use for a tall is rather good, and none of his kicks seem to float they are all of a good trajectory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back