Game Day 2022 AFL Draft thread.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We usually do a GD Draft thread to keep the stuff out if the Drafting and trading thread.

WE will close that one for now and reopen after the draft.

Ive copied the last 25 posts over to keep the chat going.

All Draft talk in here now please.

GO Catters

Last edited:
We may very well take Clark... but just by looking at the amount small inside mids we will have on the list in a couple of years compared to dashing linking up types + upcoming key position players we will have tells a story to me.
depends how you want to perceive our list. I generally only count best 22 players or young fringe players who have shown they are up to the grade as those to factor in for your 3-4 year predictions. no offence to players like Willis etc, but it is not smart list management to neglect taking a good early draft pick who is an inside mid because we drafted james willis with pick 40 something in last years draft who has shown nothing at AFL level... same for knevitt who has played 1 game.

in the next 3 years we will have dangerfield, duncan, smith all gone to add to selwoods retirement... that is 4 of our core midfielders from the 2022 premiership gone without obvious replacements.

I would think a quality early top 10 midfielder is an absolute priority if one we rate is available. We need quality to complement Holmes and bruhn ( still but unknown as mid) in 3-4 years time given how old our midfield is.

I think their midfield board post top 4 is:

Tsatas
Humphrey
Clark
Ginbey
MacKenzie
Allan

I'd absolutely be happy with anyone here, with Mackenzie being the most overlooked talent in our discussions thus far. My guess is they really want the power game that comes with Tsatas and Humphrey and are hoping one of them falls to p8 but then they would be very comfortable with anyone else from that group in the order I have suggested. If I could choose one I'd go with Elijah Tsatas but that's unlikely to happen as I can't see Essendon or Hawthorn passing. The highest probability is that we draft Jyhe Clark but if Wells calls Rueben Ginbey it tells us a lot about that complementary piece they are hoping for and they really want a chess piece style floating utility who can get the ball with ease. It's intriguing.

I hope we get Phillipou, although it seems unlikely. I also could trade back one spot if west coast want 7 badly enough and they don't want who we want , although I think that is unlikely.

That's why clubs are desperately trying to get hold of the bombers pick to get him before the suns
Agreed and it could definitely impact us.

Might push Tsatas through to us because GC would likely take Ginbey if Humprey goes before them.

Other clubs may want to cough up for him if he is around come our pick.

Def lots of water to go under the bridge still, not only would us doing a pick swap flip things on it's head... other clubs doing so could also impact us bigtime.

I'm over trying to predict it... the newish pick swap option and the way clubs seem to not rate this draft has it all over the place.

We literally could do anything except trade up.

I hope we get Phillipou, although it seems unlikely. I also could trade back one spot if west coast want 7 badly enough and they don't want who we want , although I think that is unlikely.
If he went back home there’s some talent on both SA lists to work with IMO.

yeah no s**t....

They will drag this ******* thing out so long...

Kills me.

GO Catters
I was more implying I have a 3am start for work.

Just reading into Wells comments, maybe we’re not taking any of the players who have been speculated ?

He mentioned we want players to complement our current group. I took that as the club doing everything it can to go back-to-back, or win another flag in the next couple of years.

What I suspect that means is we don’t want a player who’s going to take 3 years to be a regular in our side. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if we traded back to take a Hotton, Hollands or Cowan per say. Players who play outside, fringe type roles that allow them to play early and have an influence on games in their first couple of years similar to what we saw with our youngsters this year.

Just spitballing and we’ll all know in a couple of hours or so, but just something I found interesting. Our club is focused on being competitive and winning flags, that’s the goal and that’s all that matters. I’d say while we’re still in the window they’d want players who can proceed to impact immediately.

Just reading into Wells comments, maybe we’re not taking any of the players who have been speculated ?

He mentioned we want players to complement our current group. I took that as the club doing everything it can to go back-to-back, or win another flag in the next couple of years.

What I suspect that means is we don’t want a player who’s going to take 3 years to be a regular in our side. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if we traded back to take a Hotton, Hollands or Cowan per say. Players who play outside, fringe type roles that allow them to play early and have an influence on games in their first couple of years similar to what we saw with our youngsters this year.

Just spitballing and we’ll all know in a couple of hours or so, but just something I found interesting. Our club is focused on being competitive and winning flags, that’s the goal and that’s all that matters. I’d say while we’re still in the window they’d want players who can proceed to impact immediately.
Not many players who are drafted impact immediately.

I for one would like to thank Jack Bowes. The pick that came with him is a bonus. It has left us in a spot where we either pick a gun or trade away for better draft capital if another club panics. Can’t go wrong here. Ridiculous in a premiership year. Hope in starts round one in the square for the first bounce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we all have said whom we want...

Whom is the 1 player you DONT want taken with pick 7.

Only one choice.

Whom is the Kane Tenace, Jackson Thurlow or Bille Smedts that you dont want at Pick 7.

GO Catters
No key defenders at pick 7 please.

Pick 7 is way too early to pick a defender.

Not many players who are drafted impact immediately.
Spot on. Also the battle for spots is immense at the moment so whoever we pick will have to go past half a dozen proven AFL players over the preseason to get a gig.

I think we stay at 7 and grab the best mid available. I'd love to snag a couple of future firsts but can't see it happening.

Either way we have list to contend for back to back flags and hopefully we're on the right path to transition our list for the future while still being bloody great!

So we all have said whom we want...

Whom is the 1 player you DONT want taken with pick 7.

Only one choice.

Whom is the Kane Tenace, Jackson Thurlow or Bille Smedts that you dont want at Pick 7.

GO Catters
Want: Clark - Keep it nice and simple, like the story that comes with it too.

Don't want: Busslinger - I rate him just personally not a big fan of key defenders being picked early. Feels like we could find another late in the draft.

Want: Clark - Keep it nice and simple, like the story that comes with it too.

Don't want: Busslinger - I rate him just personally not a big fan of key defenders being picked early. Feels like we could find another late in the draft.

In hindsight, if I had pick #1 in the 2019 draft I’d probably take SDK.

I'm expecting to be a little dirty if/when GWS don't make Brisbane pay top dollar for a player that cleary is and should be #1.

I think they save some 400/600 points by going at #2 instead of #1.

Not even sure the Kangaroos bid at 2.

Daicos got through to 4 last year.

In hindsight, if I had pick #1 in the 2019 draft I’d probably take SDK.
As would I, but I feel SDK is the outlier rather than the norm. He's essentially a generational talent.

Guess I'm just scarred by the likes of McAsey, Grainger-Barrass etc

I wouldn’t mind trading back but not for the swans picks I think they are just out of the range of the top end.
Trading back and getting busslinger and another player would be a great result but we’d need to get in front of the eagles

I wouldn’t mind trading back but not for the swans picks I think they are just out of the range of the top end.
Trading back and getting busslinger and another player would be a great result but we’d need to get in front of the eagles

I’d assume much depends on whether Gibney is taken earlier. If he’s not taken before our pick, then I reckon WC would preference him over Busslinger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back