Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Gifted the pies a goal because Andrews "put his arms out" .

Ump didn't seem to care about the collingwood player carrying on at him in the first quarter though.

And the tackle on the unpaid mark is never ever paid until now. God I hope Brisbane win this
That umpire is probably the worst going around.

Maybe it's because there are twice as many of them, or perhaps they spur each other on when playing together- but my god these Daicos boys duck, flop and play for free kicks in a pretty special way. Same as Selwood, it's disappointing as they are good enough without having to search for or manufacture free kicks. It is not a natural action to pick the ball up on the run and still not be upright within 5 strides. Did they grow up playing kick to kick in the Cu Chi tunnels?

Maybe it's because there are twice as many of them, or perhaps they spur each other on when playing together- but my god these Daicos boys duck, flop and play for free kicks in a pretty special way. Same as Selwood, it's disappointing as they are good enough without having to search for or manufacture free kicks. It is not a natural action to pick the ball up on the run and still not be upright within 5 strides. Did they grow up playing kick to kick in the Cu Chi tunnels?
They’re taught it at the elite junior level now.

One of the worst things I ever found out…

Added benefit since "stand" came in to stop plays and 6-6-6 segregation created initial space to work in, rather than create skills to engineer solutions to a perceived problem, they effectively teach to cheat the system by engineering contact instances and it's basically staged actions in certain situations.

Blight on the game. Like you, when I saw and heard that shit I got visibly angry that it was a thing.

Shame we let these spuds beat us. Would be 4-0.
One of those things where the loss might’ve been more valuable to us then the win.

Who knows what our record would be if we win against the pies. The best thing is we looked forward and won 3 straight against fair dinkum opponents. That’s what good teams do, round 1 always throws up bizarre results. And to be fair, Collingwood actually played well + had new coaching IP.

Would be far more concerned if we lost to Gold Coast this week (no disrespect to them).

Crap isn't it. Clearly coached by some teams and players at AFL level but you really can't deny that it's ingrained into the system now.

Game is flawed and umpires are exploitable. AFL doesn't seem to care.

Crap isn't it. Clearly coached by some teams and players at AFL level but you really can't deny that it's ingrained into the system now.

Game is flawed and umpires are exploitable. AFL doesn't seem to care.
All the AFL cares about is scoring, and keeping the game moving (which leads to scoring); because scores means more ads, which means more ad revenue.

And more scoring is “more exciting” for the neutrals and casuals.

Free kicks do that better than packs. And so now we have 50-60 free kick games…

"50m because you retaliated." If you know he retalliated it means you saw the first incident and chose to ignore it. Umps just so desperate to avoid overturning it and looking for any opportunity to give a 50m penalty. No integrity just self preservation from ups.

On the incident - if Ryder gets 2 weeks for an opposition player running into him while he is stationary, Gardner should get 4 for that.
No concussion, so no

All the AFL cares about is scoring, and keeping the game moving (which leads to scoring); because scores means more ads, which means more ad revenue.

And more scoring is “more exciting” for the neutrals and casuals.

Free kicks do that better than packs. And so now we have 50-60 free kick games…

I guess it becomes a part of the game unfortunately. Soccer has had it for a long time. My son was playing a good grade of soccer and as a striker the coaches were training him to go down in an authentic manner to draw penalties. He came from Aussie rules so it was hard for him to go down without feeling like a cheat.

One of those things where the loss might’ve been more valuable to us then the win.

Who knows what our record would be if we win against the pies.
Exactly. It's never so black and white like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess it becomes a part of the game unfortunately. Soccer has had it for a long time. My son was playing a good grade of soccer and as a striker the coaches were training him to go down in an authentic manner to draw penalties. He came from Aussie rules so it was hard for him to go down without feeling like a cheat.
My young lad is just starting out in soccer (28 goals in his first 10 games… no biggie 😉), and he keeps pointing out the blokes rolling around and decrying it as “cheating”.

I’m sad, because I know that sooner or later, he’ll be taught to go down on contact.

I am not totally convinced about that. Only watched a Qtr though but they look like highly skilled ball players to me. Watched them in another game and didnt look like they were playing for free kicks. I think there is a stat that records that so it would give us some direct information on how many free kicks they have received. I have not heard the commentators say anything.

The daicos's receive 1 free kick per game and are way down on the list. Funny enough we have 4 in the top twenty...frees for. These are stats that cant be disputed.

I don't know what this obsession is with having to make perfectly respectable AFL stars entertainers. Dunstall played in one dynasty and and was responsible for another as part of the Hawks admin and if memory serves me correctly, might have even helped another club win a premiership - surely that's enough. Leave the circus to the clowns , Jason!

So if the MRO are fair dinkum, how many weeks for Darcy Gardiner & Mason Cox? Both took eyes off the ball to play/hit the man from behind, could have caused major injury.

*MRO we haven’t factored in striking from behind into our penalty list yet, but will have an emergency get together before announcing a 3 week penalty for that offence to be effective immediately prior to the start of the St Kilda & Suns game.

I'd like to see the general AFL thing of referring to indigenous players as "boys" done away with
I have to admit, I'm not a fan of it either. I know it's just semantics but still...

I remember Brendon Rodgers constantly referring to Raheem Sterling as a "lad" or "boy" when they were both at Liverpool, and it seemed disrespectful. The guy was pretty young, but had already had kids by that stage and was already a lock in the first team. Seemed the wrong strategy to take as he tried to stop Sterling leaving for City.

Anyway I digress...

Did anyone see Ratts ruffling NWM's hair in that video of the post game team talk this week? Similarly awkward.

I know a lot of you are probably thinking "woke nonsense", but trust me: I ain't woke.

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of it either. I know it's just semantics but still...

I remember Brendon Rodgers constantly referring to Raheem Sterling as a "lad" or "boy" when they were both at Liverpool, and it seemed disrespectful. The guy was pretty young, but had already had kids by that stage and was already a lock in the first team. Seemed the wrong strategy to take as he tried to stop Sterling leaving for City.

Anyway I digress...

Did anyone see Ratts ruffling NWM's hair in that video of the post game team talk this week? Similarly awkward.

I know a lot of you are probably thinking "woke nonsense", but trust me: I ain't woke.

I believe it's just a "play" on the brother instances to then be "the boy" instead from an outside perspective, but it's got the feel of the seedy uncle type that obviously is just trying too hard and it just looks bad optically in most situations in a sporting sense.

Added benefit since "stand" came in to stop plays and 6-6-6 segregation created initial space to work in, rather than create skills to engineer solutions to a perceived problem, they effectively teach to cheat the system by engineering contact instances and it's basically staged actions in certain situations.

Blight on the game. Like you, when I saw and heard that shit I got visibly angry that it was a thing.
Weightman graduated top of his class?

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back