2nds 2022 Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

Although a Souths supporter in the WAFL I am also very interested in how Peel are going too.

Yesterday was a great opportunity to see both sides playing an a perfect day for football. My expectation was for Peel to have the better of it with the talent they had available but they were behind all day and hardly fired a shot, very disappointed in their game.

Crowden and Tucker stayed in the game all day, Sturt was effective off limited disposals but after that it was hard to find any positives for Peel.

Hamish Free easily had the better of Lloyd Meek and that was disappointing. Not sure if Liam Henry is injured but he was a long, long way off the pace in this game.

Overall a very underwhelming game from a Peel side who in my opinion should have been right in it to win this game. Cam McCarthy played for Souths and showed why he was cut by Freo.
Hamish Free is a very big unit and a very good player, held back a bit by Souths reluctance to have both he and Brock Higgins in the same side.
202cm and 103kgs, i'll be surprised if he's not on an AFL list by the end of the season.

I haven’t got to watch the 2nd half but I thought Henry was good in the 1st half, might have dropped off after though.

I feel like the whole point of Sturt is being missed. The guy kicks goals, something we don’t have a lot of. He’s not a KPF, he’s not defensively minded, he kicks and creates goals from limited opportunities and everything I’ve seen from him screams that his output is similar regardless of the level he plays at. He’d get burned by terrible kicks 4 or 5 times a WAFL game I reckon.

The only question for mine is that is the defensive loss of playing Sturt out-weighed by the offensive gain. It’s a no brainer for me, but apparently the match committee don’t agree

The five mins I watched he took a mark in the forward 50 and nearly got snapped in half. I can’t imagine what would have happened if it were darcy Moore rather than a south freo part time plumber running into him.

I read someone comment that the players that don’t grow up playing footy as kids aren’t as used to taking hits, absorbing tackles etc and are more likely to get hurt from these kind of impacts.

Since joining the club Sturt hasn’t strung together more than 3 months uninjured. Maybe they figure this is the chance to get a large block of games into him harden him up, see how he recovers, if he gets through this then chuck him in post bye and sink or swim.

If it works he’s only young and will have another 9 years of footy in him. If he gets hurt immediately again unfortunately it’s the last year of his contract and he is a sunk cost like Pitt, Simpson, Morabito.

Sturt 188cm 80kgs - First 4 games - 5 goals 1 behind - subbed off in the first quarter of game two. 20 years old at the time.
Fritsch 188cm 84kgs - First 4 games - 4 goals 3 behinds from 4 full games. 21 years old at the time. First season 23 games for 17 goals. 14 times goalless in that year including his last 6 games (2 of which were finals).

Fritsch is 25, Sturt is 22.

Moral of the story - give him some f***ing time. He's exactly what we need and when the time is right he'll replace Banfield.

Sturt is the same type of player as Fritch so get the comparison, I suspect some on here are after instant gratification.

They need to chill and enjoy the ride, it’s a roller coaster after all being a Freo supporter.

Hamish Free is a very big unit and a very good player, held back a bit by Souths reluctance to have both he and Brock Higgins in the same side.
202cm and 103kgs, i'll be surprised if he's not on an AFL list by the end of the season.
Look if someone offered say a second round for Meek and we could pick up Free I’d do that in a flash

almost become a cliche on here that Sturt is our version of Bailey Fritsch.
That’s pretty insulting to Fritsch in my opinion.
Fritsch is one of the best forwards in the AFL and Sturt has barely played a game.
Sturt still has the build of a Kenyan marathon runner after 4 years in the system in the gym etc. it’s quite worrying when you think about his long term AFL prospects. Let’s say for example we played him against Melbourne next week and Steven May crashes into Sturt in a marking contest in the first minute? Or Max Gawn wraps him up in one of those ferocious tackles of his?
Id fear for his safety in those scenarios if I’m honest.
Maybe his body just isn’t up to the rigours of the game.
Fritsch is a pretty strongly build guy and very durable as well as being classy around goal. Not really comparable at all.

Fritsch is one of the best forwards in the AFL and Sturt has barely played a game.
Sturt still has the build of a Kenyan marathon runner after 4 years in the system in the gym etc. it’s quite worrying when you think about his long term AFL prospects. Let’s say for example we played him against Melbourne next week and Steven May crashes into Sturt in a marking contest in the first minute? Or Max Gawn wraps him up in one of those ferocious tackles of his?
Fritsch is a pretty strongly build guy and very durable as well as being classy around goal. Not really comparable at all.
Hes not that skinny lol. Capture.PNG

Everyone I watch peel play this year and I see Sturt near the ball I’m wondering is that one of peels 18 yo kids or sam Sturt.
He’s about the same height as Christian Petracca but about 20 kg lighter I’d say
Hes not that skinny lol.

Everyone I watch peel play this year and I see Sturt near the ball I’m wondering is that one of peels 18 yo kids or sam Sturt.
He’s about the same height as Christian Petracca but about 20 kg lighter I’d say
I say let him decide his own fate and play him. I understand he doesn't pressue enough but we have one of the highest inside 50 tackle counts. Our forwardline is more than capable of sorting itself out. Play him against Melbourne.

Fritsch is pretty damn skinny dude. He just uses his body cleverly in a marking contest.

Sturt is pretty much the same build and height. Unfortunately, at this stage, that’s where the comparison starts and ends.

Petracca is also heavier than Aaron Naughton and Josh Bruce. He is a heavy mofo.

If we don’t play Sturt soon then I assume we’re looking to trade him.

If lucky we’ll get a second round pick.... That seems like such a lost opportunity and waste to me.

Play the kid FFS!

Are you sure he was always at Souths. Only really been on the radar there from 2021 to 2022. From Mandurah originally…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sturt to me is a mark and goal player who with his accuracy makes the most of his chances... from what I've watched of Peel this year the entries into the fwd 50 are rarely to the advantage of the forwards so you'd expect/ hope for better delivery once he makes the seniors

If we don’t play Sturt soon then I assume we’re looking to trade him.

If lucky we’ll get a second round pick.... That seems like such a lost opportunity and waste to me.

Play the kid FFS!
Second round pick? Absolutely no chance!
We’d be lucky to get a future 4th unfortunately.
If he can’t get a game ahead of Banfield nobody’s is going to pay anything meaningful for him.
4 games in 4 years, won’t be anywhere near a top 50 pick IMO.

Edit: which is why I think we should not trade him.

Last edited:
Second round pick? Absolutely no chance!
We’d be lucky to get a future 4th unfortunately.
If he can’t get a game ahead of Banfield nobody’s is going to pay anything meaningful for him.
4 games in 4 years, won’t be anywhere near a top 50 pick IMO.

Edit: which is why I think we should not trade him.

Not sure we’ll have many list spots available.

We’ve lost Valente. I reckon Blakely, Crowden and Wilson need a miracle from here.

I know we only need to use three picks at the National Draft but we usually use more and usually use a live rookie pick or two. They’ll be more cut than the above, even if players like Lobb, Meek etc request trades.

With Sturt he’s borderline keeping his spot on the list at present. Everyone else is either must keep (more so), contracted or needs more time imo. If Lobb leaves I can’t see us replacing him through the National Draft - it’d be via trade so wouldn’t free up a list spot.

I agree Sturt isn’t worth much. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s one of those that looks pretty unlucky to be delisted.

Sturt to me is a mark and goal player who with his accuracy makes the most of his chances... from what I've watched of Peel this year the entries into the fwd 50 are rarely to the advantage of the forwards so you'd expect/ hope for better delivery once he makes the seniors

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

I used to think that too.
Then I looked in more detail at the structure of the list and most of the freo listed peel players are children compared to the seasoned bodies in the WAFL.

Exactly. A teenager isn't on an AFL list because he's a better player than a seasoned 28yo WAFL player, he's on the list because they think he's going to be better than that player once he's developed.

An alignment team like Peel also lacks the synergy of the WAFL teams who train and play together every week, and often the boost of individual talent coming back isn't enough to compensate for that.

I’ve got to be honest, every time I watch Henry play he seems to be getting further and further away from being an AFL standard player 😥
I've heard he's carrying a knee injury at the moment and struggling to train properly.

Exactly. A teenager isn't on an AFL list because he's a better player than a seasoned 28yo WAFL player, he's on the list because they think he's going to be better than that player once he's developed.

An alignment team like Peel also lacks the synergy of the WAFL teams who train and play together every week, and often the boost of individual talent coming back isn't enough to compensate for that.

Some of the Peel WAFL players are also seriously average.

I liked the glimpses I saw from Anderson but he’s raw and probably should be playing reserves.

Of the Peel WAFL guys that played yesterday would anyone other than Bell and T.Bennell actually be getting a game at Souths?

The thing that worries me about Josh Carr saying Sam has things he knows he needs to work and he's working on them are its exactly what Longmuir was saying about Hogan for the second half of 2020 and what he always says about Blakely.

It doesn't necessarily follow but its possible they've decided he doesn't fit for whatever reason. I much prefer the takes I've heard that he's highly regarded and is just getting fitness and form up before being selected for the seniors.

I have no knowledge either way, I just continue to find his non-selection puzzling and particularly when we lost Walters and Sturt didn't get a run in his place (a perfect like for like I would have thought).

As for Sturt being too skinny, his build is lean but he's wiry and hard enough. I was next to Bob Murphy on the terrace yesterday and Bob would have to run around in the shower to get wet. Bob certainly didn't have any trouble playing a few hundred games and he played when the game was tough.
The incident which was reference above where he was collected by a defender after taking a mark would have rattled anyone, it was late contact and high and should have been 50. I was right next to it. Sturt held the mark, collected himself and went back and kicked the goal from about 35M on a 45 degree angle. Straight over the umpires hat.

I watched the whole game live yesterday and moved around the ground a bit. Its pretty hard to see stuff happening on the far side in WAFL games so I decided just to concentrate on things that happened where I could see clearly. Its all mostly been said but the things that stick clearly in my mind.

How badly the ball was kicked in to the forward line. Sturt could have had 6 if anyone could put it where he could take it on the lead. When this happened in the last, (probably by accident by Blakely) from a low fast kick from a a centre break he stuck it out in front in one grab and went back and kicked it. The other times he made good leads it was kicked over his head or to his opponents advantage.

Sturt was involved in a fascinating passage in the last quarter, he was down in the back half and had the ball kicked to him. His opponent got there in time to spoil and the ball spilled. Sturt turned around and knocked the ball on and other players became involved, the ball continued toward the Peel forward line without anyone taking decisive possession just knock ons and fumbles and tackles. Sturt stayed involved and finally when the ball bounced clear he one touch grabbed it and fired out a great handball to a Peel player who kicked it to a leading forward. There was nothing particularly amazing about it, the persistence, ability to track the ball when its cannoning around, one touch possession and vision is a good sign.

yes I'm keen on him, no I have no idea if he'll make it but he seems to have genuine x-factor talent. He's the anti-Banfield (thats a joke).

I would be most reassured if he was to sign a contract extension. I believe he can make it at the level.

Other moments.

Treacy took a mark on the lead that was super impressive. He was running towards the kicker and full pace, the ball was kicked very hard and low and he burst through a couple of players and just stuck it with the hands out in front of him. Like a Pav mark of old. The crowd was pretty lacklustre in atmosphere yesterday but it drew real applause. You could hear it thunk into his hands from the stands and he took it clean as a whistle. Unfortunately he duffed the kick, he's had the yips a bit lately but he kicks the ball as well as anyone since Pav too. He looks much bigger in person than his measured height and weight, he's a lump of a lad and he has some attributes. He's very young and I hope be develops. I still don't know if he'll be anything or nothing. At minimum he'll be a Ryan Murphy, kick a few hundred goals, 10 year WAFL player.

Ethan Hughes was very good. His ability to read the ball in flight and intercept is really exceptional and he cut off a lot of attacks. He's a good solid defender and great to have as depth.

Hamling could barely walk on his ankle at times and had no power in it. I don't understand why he's playing.

Wilson is messy. He does great things at times but sprays the ball and is loose checking. I think he's well behind Chapman and Young and even Walker now.

Tucker looks amazing at times at that level, dances through packs seems to think quicker than others, has great hands. He's a bit of a poor man's Dom Sheed (I know some will hate that comparison). If he could get it more often at the top level he'd be a great accumulator and distributor.

Blakely plays like a man possessed but is messy. We all know this.

Crowden is neat with the ball and accumulates but I think his card is marked.

Henry was good in patches in the first half, really lively and laid some solid tackles and made some nice plays. Early days but he's not setting the world on fire.

Amiss is clever and crafty, has good skills and can take a mark. Very bullish on him long term.

Not really a report just a ramble of random but thats all I've got.

EDIT - Oh I remembered one more thing. Johnson in the last quarter was running onto a ball bouncing awkwardly and he did a sort of basketball dribble, just patted it and it bounced back to him and he gave off a nice handball. It was super classy, the sort of ball handling that the really good players are capable of. His initial-alike (Michael Johnson) was the master of it.

Last edited:
The thing that worries me about Josh Carr saying Sam has things he knows he needs to work and he's working on them are its exactly what Longmuir was saying about Hogan for the second half of 2020 and what he always says about Blakely.

It doesn't necessarily follow but its possible they've decided he doesn't fit for whatever reason. I much prefer the takes I've heard that he's highly regarded and is just getting fitness and form up before being selected for the seniors.

I have no knowledge either way, I just continue to find his non-selection puzzling and particularly when we lost Walters and Sturt didn't get a run in his place (a perfect like for like I would have thought).

As for Sturt being too skinny, his build is lean but he's wiry and hard enough. I was next to Bob Murphy on the terrace yesterday and Bob would have to run around in the shower to get wet. Bob certainly didn't have any trouble playing a few hundred games and he played when the game was tough.
The incident which was reference above where he was collected by a defender after taking a mark would have rattled anyone, it was late contact and high and should have been 50. I was right next to it. Sturt held the mark, collected himself and went back and kicked the goal from about 35M on a 45 degree angle. Straight over the umpires hat.

I watched the whole game live yesterday and moved around the ground a bit. Its pretty hard to see stuff happening on the far side in WAFL games so I decided just to concentrate on things that happened where I could see clearly. Its all mostly been said but the things that stick clearly in my mind.

How badly the ball was kicked in to the forward line. Sturt could have had 6 if anyone could put it where he could take it on the lead. When this happened in the last, (probably by accident by Blakely) from a low fast kick from a a centre break he stuck it out in front in one grab and went back and kicked it. The other times he made good leads it was kicked over his head or to his opponents advantage.

Sturt was involved in a fascinating passage in the last quarter, he was down in the back half and had the ball kicked to him. His opponent got there in time to spoil and the ball spilled. Sturt turned around and knocked the ball on and other players became involved, the ball continued toward the Peel forward line without anyone taking decisive possession just knock ons and fumbles and tackles. Sturt stayed involved and finally when the ball bounced clear he one touch grabbed it and fired out a great handball to a Peel player who kicked it to a leading forward. There was nothing particularly amazing about it, the persistence, ability to track the ball when its cannoning around, one touch possession and vision is a good sign.

yes I'm keen on him, no I have no idea if he'll make it but he seems to have genuine x-factor talent. He's the anti-Banfield (thats a joke).

I would be most reassured if he was to sign a contract extension. I believe he can make it at the level.

Other moments.

Treacy took a mark on the lead that was super impressive. He was running towards the kicker and full pace, the ball was kicked very hard and low and he burst through a couple of players and just stuck it with the hands out in front of him. Like a Pav mark of old. The crowd was pretty lacklustre in atmosphere yesterday but it drew real applause. You could hear it thunk into his hands from the stands and he took it clean as a whistle. Unfortunately he duffed the kick, he's had the yips a bit lately but he kicks the ball as well as anyone since Pav too. He looks much bigger in person than his measured height and weight, he's a lump of a lad and he has some attributes. He's very young and I hope be develops. I still don't know if he'll be anything or nothing. At minimum he'll be a Ryan Murphy, kick a few hundred goals, 10 year WAFL player.

Ethan Hughes was very good. His ability to read the ball in flight and intercept is really exceptional and he cut off a lot of attacks. He's a good solid defender and great to have as depth.

Hamling could barely walk on his ankle at times and had no power in it. I don't understand why he's playing.

Wilson is messy. He does great things at times but sprays the ball and is loose checking. I think he's well behind Chapman and Young and even Walker now.

Tucker looks amazing at times at that level, dances through packs seems to think quicker than others, has great hands. He's a bit of a poor man's Dom Sheed (I know some will hate that comparison). If he could get it more often at the top level he'd be a great accumulator and distributor.

Blakely plays like a man possessed but is messy. We all know this.

Crowden is neat with the ball and accumulates but I think his card is marked.

Henry was good in patches in the first half, really lively and laid some solid tackles and made some nice plays. Early days but he's not setting the world on fire.

Amiss is clever and crafty, has good skills and can take a mark. Very bullish on him long term.

Not really a report just a ramble of random but thats all I've got.

It’s standard talk for players outside the side currently to say they know what they need to work on at WAFL level I would’ve thought. As you’ve pointed out it’s said a lot. It was said about Logue earlier this season.

JL is never going to say “yea Blakely is getting delisted at the end of the year but he’s got x amount of time on his contract” is he?

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2022 Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back