2022 preseason training

Remove this Banner Ad

No argument and we see that from defenders all the time

Problem for Ratugolea is that all too often he just "blindly" jumps into contests without a good read on the ball, a good read on the play and from a position where he isn't impacting the contest - sometimes the better option is to stay out of the contest as you can have more impact by not being the 4th or 5th player in there and not unnecessarily dragging your opponent to it either

And we see that from guys like Hawkins & Cameron who read the play & know when it's not the right time to go and they stay out of the contest - some may call it a "joe the goose" goal out the back, but it's from reading the play & knowing the right move to make. All too often Ratugolea gets sucked to the contest like it's AusKick game & it's to no ones benefit
This is why I'm not a massive fan of Cameron. He's happy to be the one on the end of a scoring opportunity, but when it comes to the contest he generally stays out of it.

This is why I'm not a massive fan of Cameron. He's happy to be the one on the end of a scoring opportunity, but when it comes to the contest he generally stays out of it.
I disagree. If you are going to have Esava cannon into every contest, you want Cameron at ground level. How often was he fed the ball out of a contest last year, and swings around on the left for a goal?
A: often.

I disagree. If you are going to have Esava cannon into every contest, you want Cameron at ground level. How often was he fed the ball out of a contest last year, and swings around on the left for a goal?
A: often.
Fair call. He's a good crumber and an excellent finisher on his left side. Can still learn a lot imo from someone like Hawkins in terms of influencing contests and bringing teammates into the game. Tom is streets ahead in that department in my view.

No argument and we see that from defenders all the time

Problem for Ratugolea is that all too often he just "blindly" jumps into contests without a good read on the ball, a good read on the play and from a position where he isn't impacting the contest - sometimes the better option is to stay out of the contest as you can have more impact by not being the 4th or 5th player in there and not unnecessarily dragging your opponent to it either

And we see that from guys like Hawkins & Cameron who read the play & know when it's not the right time to go and they stay out of the contest - some may call it a "joe the goose" goal out the back, but it's from reading the play & knowing the right move to make. All too often Ratugolea gets sucked to the contest like it's AusKick game & it's to no ones benefit

This is a hard one; you argue your point well but I'm not sure I completely agree - I think Ratugolea is still exploring his ceiling so to speak; he's already plucked more than a few marks that I wouldn't have thought your average tall AFL player could pluck - he is capable of pulling off the unorthodox, when seemingly out of position - or at least not in a recognisably good position.

I agree that he has screwed it up to date. Impeded team mates, made a mess of things. Plenty of times.
But if/when he starts getting it right with anything approaching consistency then he could be a real headache and a handful. Will he ever repay the investment in his talent? Are we investing enough in his talent? It's a hard balance to strike; we could easily have got it wrong with Tom Hawkins.

I've cooled on him considerably in many ways, but I'd love for him to find that key to consistency because when he's on - which is rare, for sure - he is extremely entertaining and very difficult to curtail.

I thought last year he improved his set shot kicking. Yes he got it wrong from time to time, sometimes badly - but my read was that he was generally more consistent in his ball-drop. That kind of improvement in his craft might be reason to be optimistic that he can improve other facets of his game.

Big year for Sav, no doubt.

Last edited:

To me he's Buddy Franklin-like in that he is a crafty forward flanker in a KF's body.

Both can be marking targets, but both are probably at their best being utterly opportunistic.

I won't say that ''I'm not a massive fan of Cameron'' - I liked him a lot while he was at the Giants, and I was extremely impressed with his pure skill last year. But like Franklin, he isn't the kind of forward you can structure your forward line around.

I look back only a couple of years to the coup Richmond pulled off in luring a prime-years Tom Lynch to their club for the 2019 season; to me he (Lynch) is more of a player I would be offering the big bucks/long contract to than Cameron. You could keep pumping F50 entries at Lynch and he would split the contest over and again, for years to come. Averages 2.0 contested marks per game over his career compared to Cameron's 1.0 - it doesn't sound a lot but that is the difference in the type of player you can build your forward line around with the type of player who will explode for the multiple goals every few games.

Can't say Cameron is dull to watch at any rate; razor sharp goal sense, haven't really seen it since Menzel, Johnson, Chappy ... left-footed too of course

I think he can be good given the space, but he's competing with too many talls and a flooded backline. He just doesn't work with Hawkins in the side imho.
He is never the target forward. I can remember only a few instances where he has been one out close to goal. He always has to find the ball in a crowd.
One time I do remember he destroyed Barass.
He is Hawkins replacement not his sidekick. Cameron was recruited for that purpose.

A Blicavs/Stanley combo is pretty dire. In the finals, they have shown us time and time again they are not the answer.
It is insanity to think otherwise.
I think they got on top enough times that they were easily the best option available to us going forward amd they got the job done enough times. They got us to a grand final and were not the reason we lost it. The only clearly better options would be to go get one of the two or three actually elite rucks out there which isn't going to happen

He is never the target forward. I can remember only a few instances where he has been one out close to goal. He always has to find the ball in a crowd.
One time I do remember he destroyed Barass.
He is Hawkins replacement not his sidekick. Cameron was recruited for that purpose.
Which is why, despite me liking a lot of his his work, he absolutely has to go spend some time in the vfl this year as the number 1 target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People forget good footballers take a couple of years to get back from a broken leg, Sav is new to the game so at 23 i still think his best is infront of him and as a low cost player he is good to keep as a back up anyway

Genuine question, but what stage is Ratugolea no longer "new to the game"?

He started playing football in 2011, which is 10 years ago, was drafted in 2016 which is 5 years on the list meaning he's coming into his 6th season - surely the "new to the game" is long gone, especially when you're coming into your 6th season with a professional team

He started playing football in 2011, which is 10 years ago, was drafted in 2016 which is 5 years on the list meaning he's coming into his 6th season - surely the "new to the game" is long gone, especially when you're coming into your 6th season with a professional team
I am saying new to this game because Ruckman and Centre half forward are the hardest places to play footy, Ruckman take years to come on they could be a ruckman from u11s but don't come good until 25+..and CHF you need to learn a lot of tricks to be good and they don't grow on tree's

I am saying new to this game because Ruckman and Centre half forward are the hardest places to play footy, Ruckman take years to come on they could be a ruckman from u11s but don't come good until 25+..and CHF you need to learn a lot of tricks to be good and they don't grow on tree's

Should he then maybe be given an extended run in the VFL to work on his game and focus on developing in a role?

He's really only played the odd VFL match over recent seasons, then comes into the seniors and is playing a hybrid role that's different to what he plays in the VFL
  • if we want him long term as a key forward, should he spend time actually playing that role at VFL level, learning that role and the nuances of being a forward
  • same for ruck, though probably a bit harder now we have some genuine young rucks to develop

In the seniors he plays between the forward line & ruck, without really looking fully at home in either role - does he need time to focus his development in what's seen as his best long term position

Max Gawn was atrocious up until 2015 - so when he was about 24/25. Always takes the big boys longer. Not sure Sav will make it given his deficiencies - but I'd be giving him another couple of years to see if he will before giving up on him

Max Gawn was atrocious up until 2015 - so when he was about 25. Always takes the big boys longer. Not sure Sav will make it given his deficiencies - but I'd be giving him another couple of years to see if he will before giving up on him
Yep as i said he is a low cost footballer so keep him as a back up anyway, and as cats_09 said make him play well and learn in the VFL

Ruck has been a problem since 2012 and never fixed and we are light on for kpd post harry and hendo. Its both to me.

Rel to this thread , 2022... we lack information. How are all our talls training and looking. For 2022.. we have Dek who looks like he is ready to come in but our young rucks are still years away but we have mature options. Henry has shown our vulnerability down back, id not like to lose Blitz to injury. I think we have started the transition down back, which Im very happy about but it makes our def talls a potential weak spot. Is there a potential KPD that might be available to be added mid year.

Long term, to me we have added good likely types in both areas, perhaps more rucks types recently that KPD... but as you say its been a long time coming. KPD has not been an issue because we have topped up for so long but we probably lack an alternative to Dek if he falls short. Something that we will need to address if none of the talls we have show potential down back.

Should he then maybe be given an extended run in the VFL to work on his game and focus on developing in a role?

He's really only played the odd VFL match over recent seasons, then comes into the seniors and is playing a hybrid role that's different to what he plays in the VFL
  • if we want him long term as a key forward, should he spend time actually playing that role at VFL level, learning that role and the nuances of being a forward
  • same for ruck, though probably a bit harder now we have some genuine young rucks to develop

In the seniors he plays between the forward line & ruck, without really looking fully at home in either role - does he need time to focus his development in what's seen as his best long term position
SOP for the GFC unfortunately. Always makes me question who is in charge of development.
I agree that maybe a little time in a specific role that he would be expected to play in the ones would help him focus on what his game is supposed to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 preseason training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back