Draft Review 2022 - Revisit the 2022 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Weddle reminds me of the Lizard at present.

I can see how he can move into the middle in a year or two.

I can see it but Weddle will need to improve his disposal a fair bit to get to that level.

Looking great though, I thought the Hawks overpaid for him but that was shrewed trading and drafting.

Pretty pleased with Lachie Cowan. Looks the pick of the second round and I’d take him over a few blokes in the first.

Looks like a pretty weak and shallow draft as it stands but the top few are going to be elite players for a long time.

Joe Richards has far exceeded any expectation anybody could ever have had of him in his three games, given he barely looked VFL standard last year. Has good touch and the pressure of AFL doesn't appear to phase him whatsoever. More than just a deep small forward too - has been getting up afield plenty and moving the ball forward.

Joe Richards has far exceeded any expectation anybody could ever have had of him in his three games, given he barely looked VFL standard last year. Has good touch and the pressure of AFL doesn't appear to phase him whatsoever. More than just a deep small forward too - has been getting up afield plenty and moving the ball forward.
You'd have to be happy with his form

He wouldn't be in my top 5, but any club would be very happy if they drafted him.
You always watch your own players closer, so sometimes fans of a club see a hidden gem before others. Might be the case here. (Also we all sometimes rate our own players higher as well :))
You coming around to Weddle yet? 😉

I'm guessing you have Cadman in your top 5 than you have the likes of Ashcroft, Sheezel and Wardlaw. Who's your 5th?
I don't have Cadman at this stage (although hopeful he develops into top 5)
Sheezel, Ashcroft, Wardlaw, Humphrey and Michalanny would be my top5
I'd have Weddle in the next group with Ginby and Cadman.
I'm very bullish in Darcy Jones and think he could be among the best, but that could not really be justified other than my gut feel

I don't have Cadman at this stage (although hopeful he develops into top 5)
Sheezel, Ashcroft, Wardlaw, Humphrey and Michalanny would be my top5
I'd have Weddle in the next group with Ginby and Cadman.
I'm very bullish in Darcy Jones and think he could be among the best, but that could not really be justified other than my gut feel
Why do you have Humphrey and Michalanny ahead at this stage?

Why do you have Humphrey and Michalanny ahead at this stage?
I think Humphrey is a game breaker and Michalanny is a very composed defender.
I think both are excellent players who have the potential to be super.

I think Humphrey is a game breaker and Michalanny is a very composed defender.
I think both are excellent players who have the potential to be super.
Weddle has shown to be both those things.... They are good players I rate them as well, Weddle has shown to be a bit of a unicorn himself though.

Weddle has shown to be both those things.... They are good players I rate them as well, Weddle has shown to be a bit of a unicorn himself though.
From watching both, to this point Humphreys best is better than Weddle, but his floor is much lower as well.

If you're picking Humphrey over Weddle right now, you're banking on him developing to bridge the gap between his good and bad games.

Really depends on what you want this early in their careers and there isn't really a right answer yet. I think Weddle is more of a sure thing to hit 200 games but Humphrey when he's on is exceptional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From watching both, to this point Humphreys best is better than Weddle, but his floor is much lower as well.

If you're picking Humphrey over Weddle right now, you're banking on him developing to bridge the gap between his good and bad games.

Really depends on what you want this early in their careers and there isn't really a right answer yet. I think Weddle is more of a sure thing to hit 200 games but Humphrey when he's on is exceptional.
I agree with this, his best games have been pretty amazing but the frequency isn't their just yet, he is great when he can get a straight line run at the footy, players just bounce off him.

Weddle is looking like a unique Utility while Humphrey is looking like a dynamic mid who's still building his tank.

I have Weddle a touch ahead because he's 2024 has been better. I normally look at exposed form when doing these redrafts but if you consider potential it can be a bit different.

Very hard to be a consistent half forward in this league. Play Humphrey behind the ball like Weddle and watch him suddenly become consistent.

Is this looming as one of the worst drafts of this century?
It's still a very recent draft. It has stars like Wardlaw, Ashcroft and Sheezel, and great players or prospects like Cadman, Ginbey, Michalanney and Weddle. Mackenzie, Jones, Fletcher and Hollands have been decent. I like Humphrey but he's been very inconsistent. A lot of the first round is very underwhelming

It's still a very recent draft. It has stars like Wardlaw, Ashcroft and Sheezel, and great players or prospects like Cadman, Ginbey, Michalanney and Weddle. Mackenzie, Jones, Fletcher and Hollands have been decent. I like Humphrey but he's been very inconsistent. A lot of the first round is very underwhelming
It’s easy to wait 5 years and then decide.

Outside of the ones you mentioned, it looks very thin.

It’s easy to wait 5 years and then decide.

Outside of the ones you mentioned, it looks very thin.
That can change quick though .
I know at the Giants, they are very positive about all of Darcy Jones, Rowsten McMullen (who is getting a game and showing good signs and Gruzewski who is debuting today. If a couple of them go onto to be handy that adds some depth.
There would be lots of similar stories at other clubs I imagine. Players we haven't seen much of yet Turn out to be very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Review 2022 - Revisit the 2022 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back