News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ratts feeling the pressure. Whining in his presser about everyone being negative about the Saints, asking for us to be positive because we won a game. Oh dear.

I am glad at least he's acknowledged that all is not right, that's a step up from last year. It must be frustrating for him. I really hope he can evolve as a coach or delegate to someone with better matchday moves. The leadership program is the second most urgent thing to sort out.

But horray, we won. It's better than losing. We still are a chance to play finals in July. Better than not being. Could have been so much better though, hope ratts can face that and see it as the reason so many are negative about St Kilda. We rightfully expected more.

Ratts feeling the pressure. Whining in his presser about everyone being negative about the Saints, asking for us to be positive because we won a game. Oh dear.

I am glad at least he's acknowledged that all is not right, that's a step up from last year. It must be frustrating for him. I really hope he can evolve as a coach or delegate to someone with better matchday moves. The leadership program is the second most urgent thing to sort out.

But horray, we won. It's better than losing. We still are a chance to play finals in July. Better than not being. Could have been so much better though, hope ratts can face that and see it as the reason so many are negative about St Kilda. We rightfully expected more.

I think that’s a coaching technique to try to convince them that it’s them against the world. He is going to need a heap of luck from here.

Yep we went from 4th on the ladder at the bye to having the profile of a bottom four team. Essendon, Sydney and Dogs losses were horrific so I’m sure he can see where the negativity comes from. It’s funny because if you said this is where we’d be at the start of the year you’d probably take it but after the start to the year we had we didn’t expect to be missing finals.

Looks like a few decisions have been made for him by recent happenstance. Just gotta hope he's not too pig headed to change.
Either way, the 6 month payout clause really means he's on a year to year tenure and can get the arse at the bye if it falls to crap.

Wait what's the 6 month payout clause? That sounds like a good move from the club.
I think it was instigated by the AFL, that all coaches contracts can be termninated with a maximum 6 month payout, irrelevant of the length of the contract remaining.......

Yep we went from 4th on the ladder at the bye to having the profile of a bottom four team. Essendon, Sydney and Dogs losses were horrific so I’m sure he can see where the negativity comes from. It’s funny because if you said this is where we’d be at the start of the year you’d probably take it but after the start to the year we had we didn’t expect to be missing finals.

I think the bit that shits me is that so many players have improved.

Marshall- injured last year, back to his best this year. Just played his best game ever.
Sinclair- No longer elite with a snicker attached. True elite and as good as any top 10 talent in the game at the moment. Eclipses even the best of Steele with his X factor and ability to open games up with run and skill.
Crouch- a very bland nothing player in 2021, this year he's up with the best mids in the game on accumulation but has turned into a true two way hard worker.
Ross- Most would have happily seen him walk last year even without compo. This year he'd be the most high impact per possession player in our mids.
Battle- was looking like he could be on the move with no role or confidence. Now he's getting midfield numbers as a third tall back and a real weapon.
Hill- as much as we bag him he was a liability for 2 season, now he gets tagged for his drive off HBF.
Wilke -had a meh 2021 after a brilliant 2020. He's back and with some extras.
Gresham- came back from a couple of injury ruined seasons to stamp himself as a top 100 player again.
King- had an almost year, started well but petered out but still leads the comp in contested marks and is in the top rungs of the Coleman and a step up from 2021.
Snags- Great start to the year but a couple of concussions seems to have knocked some of the stuffing out of him, improved on last year.
Wood- He's a bit agricultural but he has moments of brilliance and works hard. He's been a really solid player and would be a coaches favourite.
Webster- came in after injury to Paton last year and hasn't lost his spot and probably playing his best most consistent footy now.
Membrey- still a great third tall forward when played there and picked up after a less spectacular 2021.

I think the bit that shits me is that so many players have improved.

Marshall- injured last year, back to his best this year. Just played his best game ever.
Sinclair- No longer elite with a snicker attached. True elite and as good as any top 10 talent in the game at the moment. Eclipses even the best of Steele with his X factor and ability to open games up with run and skill.
Crouch- a very bland nothing player in 2021, this year he's up with the best mids in the game on accumulation but has turned into a true two way hard worker.
Ross- Most would have happily seen him walk last year even without compo. This year he'd be the most high impact per possession player in our mids.
Battle- was looking like he could be on the move with no role or confidence. Now he's getting midfield numbers as a third tall back and a real weapon.
Hill- as much as we bag him he was a liability for 2 season, now he gets tagged for his drive off HBF.
Wilke -had a meh 2021 after a brilliant 2020. He's back and with some extras.
Gresham- came back from a couple of injury ruined seasons to stamp himself as a top 100 player again.
King- had an almost year, started well but petered out but still leads the comp in contested marks and is in the top rungs of the Coleman and a step up from 2021.
Snags- Great start to the year but a couple of concussions seems to have knocked some of the stuffing out of him, improved on last year.
Wood- He's a bit agricultural but he has moments of brilliance and works hard. He's been a really solid player and would be a coaches favourite.
Webster- came in after injury to Paton last year and hasn't lost his spot and probably playing his best most consistent footy now.
Membrey- still a great third tall forward when played there and picked up after a less spectacular 2021.
Maybe other clubs just improved more. Unfortunately every other team is trying just as hard as we are. We don’t get a ribbon just for improving. We need to beat the other teams

Maybe other clubs just improved more. Unfortunately every other team is trying just as hard as we are. We don’t get a ribbon just for improving. We need to beat the other teams

I don't think heaps have which is why it's such an open season. Carlton, Freo, Suns have all improved a lot and Geelong has changed stuff up to play a better brand. Melbourne is worse, Dogs worse and there aren't really any dominant teams like most years have. To me we shat the bed in a few games in a year that had no room for multiple errors due to the tightness of the comp.

It is a great year to be in finals because a side like Sydney or Carlton could sneak a flag in a down year. I don't think Geelong are as good as last year's Dees but they are the best side at the moment.

I think it was instigated by the AFL, that all coaches contracts can be termninated with a maximum 6 month payout, irrelevant of the length of the contract remaining.......
Correct, introduced in 2020

I don't think heaps have which is why it's such an open season. Carlton, Freo, Suns have all improved a lot and Geelong has changed stuff up to play a better brand. Melbourne is worse, Dogs worse and there aren't really any dominant teams like most years have. To me we shat the bed in a few games in a year that had no room for multiple errors due to the tightness of the comp.

It is a great year to be in finals because a side like Sydney or Carlton could sneak a flag in a down year. I don't think Geelong are as good as last year's Dees but they are the best side at the moment.
Yes our rivals improved more than us and the top top teams slid a bit but only down to par with the improved teams. Say from 1 to 4.

Our rivals improved from 10-5/6

We improved but only from 9-8.

Overall teams got worse teams got better but a lot ended up still higher than us. Who cares that there’s less top top teams cause we can’t beat the medium top teams which there are now more of

Yes our rivals improved more than us and the top top teams slid a bit but only down to par with the improved teams. Say from 1 to 4.

Overall teams got worse teams got better but a lot ended up still higher than us. Who cares that there’s less top top teams cause we can’t beat the medium top teams which there are now more of
We have a weak brand and weak mentalities. There's unfortunately now a standard method to beating StKilda and everyone knows it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved the comments from Ratts regarding media negativity around the club.

As a bit of a footy nuffie I consume a lot of content over the season (TV, Radio, Podcasts etc.) and the narrative around our club for the most part has been for lack of a better word dismissive.

I heard a perfect example of this on the way to work this morning. Anthony Hudson was discussing Ratts' comments on The First Crack and claiming he was being over sensitive considering we had only just defeated the Eagles and Hawks which is fine. But then turned around and proceeded to spend the next few minutes lauding the Gold Coast Suns after falling across the line against the Eagles at home.

Sure everything hasn't been perfect this season but it hasn't been bereft of positives either.

I see it in Hardwick terms. St Kilda beat St Kilda. Our list is better than plenty above us but our psychology, consistency and systems/skills let us down.

We actually had Emma Murray shared with the Tigers, they kept her we didn't. She is credited with turning them around in 2017 and turning Dusty into a champion from a confused young man. I wish we could get her back.

Skills coaching, strategy and brand improvements and we should be pushing top 4 not struggling for a spot in the 8.

I know Clarko has been done to death but that's why it's worth more than just his wage, his aura and persona have a huge influence over the playing group.

I see it in Hardwick terms. St Kilda beat St Kilda. Our list is better than plenty above us but our psychology, consistency and systems/skills let us down.

We actually had Emma Murray shared with the Tigers, they kept her we didn't. She is credited with turning them around in 2017 and turning Dusty into a champion from a confused young man. I wish we could get her back.

Skills coaching, strategy and brand improvements and we should be pushing top 4 not struggling for a spot in the 8.

I know Clarko has been done to death but that's why it's worth more than just his wage, his aura and persona have a huge influence over the playing group.
We didn't let her go, she decided to leave as she had more pressing corporate commitments.

Our group psyche was an issue even when she was there so I don't know if it would've been that big of a difference if she stayed.

We didn't let her go, she decided to leave as she had more pressing corporate commitments.

Our group psyche was an issue even when she was there so I don't know if it would've been that big of a difference if she stayed.

We had a shit list when she was there, she can't polish a turd.

We had a s**t list when she was there, she can't polish a turd.
We had a list that should've been capable enough to not have drastic shifts in momentum from week to week or in-game. Our psych issues have been present since 2016.

Absolutely right there.

I loved the comments from Ratts regarding media negativity around the club.

As a bit of a footy nuffie I consume a lot of content over the season (TV, Radio, Podcasts etc.) and the narrative around our club for the most part has been for lack of a better word dismissive.

I heard a perfect example of this on the way to work this morning. Anthony Hudson was discussing Ratts' comments on The First Crack and claiming he was being over sensitive considering we had only just defeated the Eagles and Hawks which is fine. But then turned around and proceeded to spend the next few minutes lauding the Gold Coast Suns after falling across the line against the Eagles at home.

Sure everything hasn't been perfect this season but it hasn't been bereft of positives either.
We got plenty of plaudits when we were 8-3.
I‘m not surprised we were dismissed when we dropped off to such an extent.
Its in our hands.

Ratts’ message was more for the players’ benefit I think. He’s trying for an “us against them” mentality and who knows, it may work.

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back