2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a List, from 1945-2021, of all the Qld.-born or raised players, who have been drafted into the old VFL, or AFL.

It clearly shows the entry of GCFC in 2011 has been a major reason for the boom in Qld. born or raised players into the AFL.
GCFC is making an important contribution to the success of the AFL.

Oliver Hollands is the son of former Richmond player Ben Hollands and the brother of current Gold Coast midfielder Elijah Hollands.

“He (Elijhah) has been a really good outlet to talk to, not even about the footy stuff,” Oliver said.

“Just as a mate he has been a great resource. But then if I have any questions about what’s going on at the club and some things to look forward to in hopefully getting drafted, he’s always there to talk about that sort of stuff too. He’s definitely a great resource and I’m very lucky to have him.”

An AFL Academy member, Oliver is happy to go anywhere but been interviewed by the Suns.

“It’s a dream to be able to play footy but to be able to play with your brother would be pretty incredible,” he said.

Given we will probably have two academy talls to draft next year a mid this year makes sense. Think I read he's been training at the club (maybe in the preseason?).
A bit about him

Oliver Hollands​

Club: Murray Bushrangers/Wodonga FC/Geelong Grammar

Height: 183cm

Weight: 73kg

DOB: 16/01/04

A medium midfielder, Hollands uses his elite aerobic running ability to win the ball both on the inside and outside. He is a prolific ball winner who impressed in two games at Under 17s level for Vic Country last year. Hollands is composed with the ball in hand and makes good decisions. A boarder at Geelong Grammar, he is the brother to Gold Coast Suns’ Elijah, who was Drafted at pick 7 in 2020. Hollands is a member of the NAB AFL Academy and was prominent for Vic Country in the opening match of the national championships, having 19 disposals.

With Walters slated to come to us in 2 years and already having Casboult (1 more year), Chol (5 more years) and King (10 years) and Lukosius and Andrew having the ability to play both ends, I don't see it as a priority to get in a developing tall that most likely will not get an opportunity and leave.

Based on us most likely ending up with a 7-9 draft pick I think we are in a good spot to land a big bodied midfielder to complement the existing midfield (I only trust the big 3 plus an ageing Swallow) - Clarke, McKenzie, Hewett, Phillipou - all 186cm miss that can find the ball inside and use it on the outside.

If Bussingler was there at our pick and we don't land Liam Jones then it could be too good a fit to turn down.

A bit about him

Oliver Hollands​

Club: Murray Bushrangers/Wodonga FC/Geelong Grammar

Height: 183cm

Weight: 73kg

DOB: 16/01/04

A medium midfielder, Hollands uses his elite aerobic running ability to win the ball both on the inside and outside. He is a prolific ball winner who impressed in two games at Under 17s level for Vic Country last year. Hollands is composed with the ball in hand and makes good decisions. A boarder at Geelong Grammar, he is the brother to Gold Coast Suns’ Elijah, who was Drafted at pick 7 in 2020. Hollands is a member of the NAB AFL Academy and was prominent for Vic Country in the opening match of the national championships, having 19 disposals.

If we trade up for a late 1st or early 2nd would be handy. Like to see how his brother goes in the AFL team first.

With Walters slated to come to us in 2 years and already having Casboult (1 more year), Chol (5 more years) and King (10 years) and Lukosius and Andrew having the ability to play both ends, I don't see it as a priority to get in a developing tall that most likely will not get an opportunity and leave.

Based on us most likely ending up with a 7-9 draft pick I think we are in a good spot to land a big bodied midfielder to complement the existing midfield (I only trust the big 3 plus an ageing Swallow) - Clarke, McKenzie, Hewett, Phillipou - all 186cm miss that can find the ball inside and use it on the outside.

If Bussingler was there at our pick and we don't land Liam Jones then it could be too good a fit to turn down.
I would be confident that we'll try and draft Ethan Reid in 2023 as well - so we'll be pretty right for talls - assuming we get Walters as well. 2023 looks like some great talent emerging from the Academy. ...there's also Will Graham coming back off two knees that will push hard for a draft pick.

Clayton always said..
you need a good spine

Never enough talls.

It’s fine to have talls..
but they still need to be quality..
like Graham doesn’t cut it.

I know Mac atm is a bit of a young future unicorn in 4 years time approx

But if we had drafted Gibcus last year…
And he played against port and pies instead of Graham..
Could of maybe made the difference..

And we would be right in the thick of top 8

If we trade up for a late 1st or early 2nd would be handy. Like to see how his brother goes in the AFL team first.
From what I've seen of Elijah I don't think we'll have any problems with him becoming a very good AFL footballer, provided we can keep him fit. And from the little I've seen of Oliver, he's a different player but has some very good AFL attributes as well. Make it happen Mr. Cameron. I'd be willing to pull the trigger a bit earlier on the younger Hollands if that is what it takes to land him.

I would be confident that we'll try and draft Ethan Reid in 2023 as well - so we'll be pretty right for talls - assuming we get Walters as well. 2023 looks like some great talent emerging from the Academy. ...there's also Will Graham coming back off two knees that will push hard for a draft pick.
You might need a top 3 to 5 pick to get Reid, and you’ll need to draft him before another team bids on Walters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might need a top 3 to 5 pick to get Reid, and you’ll need to draft him before another team bids on Walters.
You think he'll go that high?

What's the current rules on drafting academy players? Be nice if the Suns can keep the concessions on academy picks, very helpful if there are going to be two first round picks next year.

I didn't see the recent championship game, but I did see he recorded 15 'fantasy' points so looked like he was VERY quiet.
Did he play the whole match?

For rankine to knock back a huge offer and re-sign with us is a massive boost for everyone involved. Credit to coaching staff, team mates and to izak himself, great show of loyalty and mateship. Its always been the suns who have had to fork out the extra cash for the young stars, finally the table is turning.

Reckon we might be talking about a different Reid. Harley Reid has been dominating as a key defender for Vic Country as a an under aged player.

Last edited:
Would prefer to trade our pick for a ready made star of course history has not been on our side for that.

Another key Lemmey/Busslinger i'll be happy with, Sheezel out of range and Elijah Hewett was impressive in last years colts gf.

...that's why the word 'try' is in there! Walters and Reid will both be targets and Will if he comes right with his knee issues has a strong chance. No-one has seen much of him this year so he's under the radar right now.

Ethan Reid and Harley Reid are not the same player. Ethan is a very tall ruck prospect and still not ready for draft until next year - 2023. Will attract a lot of interest.

Unless he is like Luke Jackson or Tim English around the ground next year a ruckman rarely involved in first round conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back