2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I don't mind players like Archie Perkins or Bailey Smith saying they want to stay in Vic, as a buyer, I 100% would rather know what I'm getting myself into.
Fair enough but they shouldn't be allowed in the NATIONAL draft, go play VFL and work your way into a side. There's more than 1 avenue to the AFL.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair enough but they shouldn't be allowed in the NATIONAL draft, go play VFL and work your way into a side. There's more than 1 avenue to the AFL.

Then they'll do the sneaky and say I'll go anywhere, I'm not fussed where I end up, then do the minimum 2 years and request a trade back home and the club is left standing with their pee pee in their hands. I'd rather all parties were encouraged to be honest with each other, and if the club thinks they can change the players mind, then it's their informed decision to take that risk.

Then they'll do the sneaky and say I'll go anywhere, I'm not fussed where I end up, then do the minimum 2 years and request a trade back home and the club is left standing with their pee pee in their hands. I'd rather all parties were encouraged to be honest with each other, and if the club thinks they can change the players mind, then it's their informed decision to take that risk.
I hate the idea of these guys being completely closed to the opportunities and idea of living away from home without even trying it.

But if that's their position, then I'd rather they identify it with the recruiting staff.

Ah the old scrimshaw technique.

briztoon you can't possibly still be upset, I apologised and said I'd tone it down. Was just winding you up. Can't just let it go?

Everyone knows that your apologies are about as reliable as a Josh Caddy verbal commitment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You disgust me
Ha ha, Yes I am evil but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity for my kids to have their own local side to follow. Many of the Suns regulars think I’m bitter and twisted so that must come from my North days. 😉

So this is the kind of dollars other clubs are putting in front of best 22 players.

26 year old who averaged 21 possessions and 5 marks playing on the wing for Freo this year.

You can tell trade period is close. All players linked to Carlton,Geelong, Hawks and sweet f all to us. I love this time of year.:poo:
It’s very interesting isn’t it, players and their mangers would be aware of our improvement and the quality of the list yet there is still crickets, so I see 3 potential reasons

1. Players in the major football markets can make a lot of cash in endorsements, signed merch, corporate speaking gigs etc. a huge incentive in a short career.
2. They are waiting until we actually play finals
3. We are still seen as a pretender, a football backwater that exists to make up the numbers in the TV rights. A poor results history and idiocy at the trades table would be feeding this narrative

We can do something about points 2 and 3 by actually winning, however if it is as I suspect point 1 then we are destined for mediocrity. History shows that the big clubs attract players easily, many members and supporters, poor and rich alike are a cow just waiting to be milked, the clubs and the player managers know this. What I’m saying is we can’t compete, this may change in the future but not in my lifetime

Anyway happy Sunday

It’s very interesting isn’t it, players and their mangers would be aware of our improvement and the quality of the list yet there is still crickets, so I see 3 potential reasons

1. Players in the major football markets can make a lot of cash in endorsements, signed merch, corporate speaking gigs etc. a huge incentive in a short career.
2. They are waiting until we actually play finals
3. We are still seen as a pretender, a football backwater that exists to make up the numbers in the TV rights. A poor results history and idiocy at the trades table would be feeding this narrative

We can do something about points 2 and 3 by actually winning, however if it is as I suspect point 1 then we are destined for mediocrity. History shows that the big clubs attract players easily, many members and supporters, poor and rich alike are a cow just waiting to be milked, the clubs and the player managers know this. What I’m saying is we can’t compete, this may change in the future but not in my lifetime

Anyway happy Sunday
It's not just that.
It's the job prospects post footy.

Can see someone like Mason Cox walking into a job despite 90 mediocre career games, and someone like Sam day with 160 mediocre career games having to make his own way post footy.

It's not just that.
It's the job prospects post footy.

Can see someone like Mason Cox walking into a job despite 90 mediocre career games, and someone like Sam day with 160 mediocre career games having to make his own way post footy.
One way to even the odds is by increasing our salary cap to help lesson the inbalance. Hang on Big Vic clubs will cry fowl like Eddie the flog. We just need a strong AFL that don't make stupid statements like we need a strong Bombers in the comp. It is now the AFL not VFL. We need all clubs to have their time in the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back