2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have no beef with Burgess going. At 28, he might be looking to take the list spot with most job security, wherever that may be.

So if the club is happy to extend him cheaply because he wants to stay in the GC and be our VFL forward for a few more years to mentor the kids and be a good role model, I’m fine with that too.

But at least two VFL talls will be going this year, you would think.

Get ready for Day's extension.

Gold Coast deliver first bit of silverware as forward confirmed to stay on​

“But a fantastic day for the club on Sunday, for the players, the club and the supporters as well.

“My family have ridden the highs and plenty of lows with me, so to have them there supporting me was pretty special.

“It isn’t something I can really put into words, actually get quite emotional but just super pumped to win it for them.

“The way the club handled the stuff after the game, getting everyone together, the families together was amazing, just really good for all those involved.

“It was a fantastic evening and will have a few more like that this week.”
The 31-year-old’s future was up in the air after the grand final win.

“I can say it now that I have had a healthy year and not going into an off season with an injury,” Day said.

“I still have plenty more to give, I absolutely love it.”

I'm not hot on keeping Day, but I suppose what other options do you have as a depth key forward in the 2's.

You can't keep Burgess when he wants first team opportunities, and Chol is wasting a decent amount of salary cap in the 2's and will want first team chances he isn't going to get under Dimma.

This is never going to be a perfect situation.

I'm not hot on keeping Day, but I suppose what other options do you have as a depth key forward in the 2's.

You can't keep Burgess when he wants first team opportunities, and Chol is wasting a decent amount of salary cap in the 2's and will want first team chances he isn't going to get under Dimma.

This is never going to be a perfect situation.
I don't know why Day would even need to be taking up a list spot. Can play as a VFL top up player. What other club is taking him.

Ideally you keep chol but he's obviously keen to be best 22 and holding him to his contract to be back up only isn't going to help his motivation especially when he already is criticised for being lazy. Day on minimum wage, maybe skipper of the reserves to help the likes af walter and Read develop and still be there as back up for injuries seems ok. Chol also has some value at the trade table and his and burgess salary off the books probably is close to 800k next year.

Ideally you keep chol but he's obviously keen to be best 22 and holding him to his contract to be back up only isn't going to help his motivation especially when he already is criticised for being lazy. Day on minimum wage, maybe skipper of the reserves to help the likes af walter and Read develop and still be there as back up for injuries seems ok. Chol also has some value at the trade table and his and burgess salary off the books probably is close to 800k next year.
800k? Chol is around 400, maybe 500. If Burgess is 300-400k, then that is gross club mismanagement.

No VFL level players player should be on more than 100-200 (Burgess, Tsitas, Constable, Stein etc).

Your Sexton, Chol, Fiorini, Hollands etc. may be, as they are expected to be in the best 30 and play a half a dozen AFL games a year, more if injury hits.

But the last 15 players should be on 100-200k. We obviously play our bottom end talent too much otherwise.

800k? Chol is around 400, maybe 500. If Burgess is 300-400k, then that is gross club mismanagement.

No VFL level players player should be on more than 100-200 (Burgess, Tsitas, Constable, Stein etc).

Your Sexton, Chol, Fiorini, Hollands etc. may be, as they are expected to be in the best 30 and play a half a dozen AFL games a year, more if injury hits.

But the last 15 players should be on 100-200k. We obviously play our bottom end talent too much otherwise.
We're talking about the suns here nothing surprises anymore.

After last trade period Mark Evans said …and I quote. “I know the Bowes and pick 7 doesn’t look good, but judge us after the 2023 trade and FA period.” He acknowledged they were somewhat freeing cap for a reason… I’m yet to hear us linked to anyone of note.

This has lived rent free in my head all year

What is the minimum for an AFL player? $120k? Doubt Burgess is on much more than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After last trade period Mark Evans said …and I quote. “I know the Bowes and pick 7 doesn’t look good, but judge us after the 2023 trade and FA period.” He acknowledged they were somewhat freeing cap for a reason… I’m yet to hear us linked to anyone of note.

He needs to be held accountable.

Didn’t we have it confirmed it was Dusty… but then Flanders found his groove and we unexpectedly re-signed him… which has thrown a spanner in the works?

Didn’t we have it confirmed it was Dusty… but then Flanders found his groove and we unexpectedly re-signed him… which has thrown a spanner in the works?
The story some of us were fed was some extremely big fish…. But right now I can’t even see the small fish

The story some of us were fed was some extremely big fish…. But right now I can’t even see the small fish
Yeah, I feel like if anyone thought that those interviews were anything more than Cameron and Evans trying to save their jobs after an absolute clusterf*ck of a trade period by trying to kick the can down the road and hoping everyone would forget in 12 months time, then that’s on them.

Was quite clearly just empty words to stop fans/media absolutely tearing into them by the kings of spin.

Nothing Cameron has ever done suggests he has any idea how to build a successful list, let alone be able to identify and bring in a semi-quality player that any other club has an interest in. He’s happy to just keep bringing in future picks and hope this influx of academy talent (which he so brilliantly secured the picks for to ensure they can come here) will take us to success.

Evans needs to go. He has done almost nothing constructive or positive in his post here.
Harsh criticism, the Dew hire was good for us to stop the max exodus of our players. Dew was able to re-sign our young guns and get buy in from the group, the culture has significantly improved. The Dimma hire is also a great coup for Evans. I know for a fact 17 other clubs wanted Dimma and Evans and Bob East won him over. The Dimma hire will bear fruit. The playing group are excited and ready to challenge for a flag now. That’s what happens when you hire a proven winner. Evans played a key role in making this happen.

Last edited:
I could see the club extending Day and letting Chol and Burgess leave. Very on brand.

Day is probably the worst key forward we have had in the history of the club, but the man will outlast them all on our list. It’s impressive, really.

Unbelievable if this eventuates.

If we lose Chol and Burgess, we are hoping a 33 year old, and his below par 31 year old back up, make it through the season….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back