2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is just so much negative rubbish on our thread, its actually really sh*t to be around. Some of you are acting like you should have won silverware by now and that you could have done a better job. Well if that’s the case, go a do it, sign up and take their jobs, stop your plumbing, or sales rep positions and sign up at the club. Melbourne has taken 57 years for gods sakes! Please for the life of me, can you stop the negativity. This is one of the greatest times to be on the thread and some of you are spoiling it for everyone. As your Mother’s should have taught you, if you haven’t anything positive to say about your club, don’t say it at all. Rant over…

Silverware, no. Not a laughing stock and some level of institutional competency, yes.

100% agree. The hardest part of this gig is supposed to be dealing with opposition trolls but I spend 90% of my time reading the same old recycled negative crap. Honestly makes me want to ignore the board for days at a time.

There a difference between healthy debate and constant negativity - If you you're bringing to the table then surely you have better things to be doing with your time.

It's therapeutic to not bottle it up inside. This thread has probably saved relationships.

Again, all you are doing is explaining the mismanagement. If you believe your club is a revolving door & to solve that problem you over pay unproven kids & trade pick 2 for blokes like Lachie Weller - which then leads to you having to give up pick 19 and a decent player just to salary dump - then you are poorly managed. You shouldn't accept it - clubs that are held accountable for their failures become better clubs. There is no good reason for the Suns to be doing this - you barely have an Elite player in your team. Last year you guys had to move off Wright for peanuts due to his large contract. Its an awful strategy. What you are doing this year is very similar to what the Pies had to do last year. That was clearly "mismanagement" & it was reported as such. The Suns however are getting hit with a total feather duster over the move - and to give the Pies some credit, they at least made a GF along the way. If this was a Victorian club, that list manager & GM wouldn't be able to walk down the street.
When you look at our 2019 list

https://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/39865/2019-guernsey-numbers

You wonder how we meet the salary floor

No. If a turd is being polished than I will say so. It’s a forum. Therefore it’s a place of differing opinions.

How fascinating that the people who liked this comment are the biggest negativity campaigners on the clubs thread. Bagging at the clubs every move without knowing anything about why they made the choices they did.

I’m not mad, just upset that we can’t be happy for Christ’s sake.

I know the Melbourne crew don’t know the facts, but you all do! We don’t just pay wages to players, we are growing and paying for that growth in the largest state of Australia single handedly out of our cap space.
We don’t have the businessmen yet prepared to cover the brown paper bags to assist players like 200 year old clubs do. We are young and we ****ed up the start and we are now trying to mend the old drama of the past. We are all in this together, I for one have been a member since the start and have wasted year after year my lounge passes, to the point I literally can’t even give them away in the back end of the season. In fact, I couldn’t even give them away on here one round!
Just think we should have some positive ideas instead of shit talking all the time, find the silver lining in discussions. Work out who would suit our team in what position and throw up ideas how to get them here and hopefully the teams sees our ideas and if we must have a shit talking column, let’s make it and throw all our grievances in there! 😂 love ya lads and want this to be a fun space, not a place for calling beyond blue after we read it.

Again, all you are doing is explaining the mismanagement. If you believe your club is a revolving door & to solve that problem you over pay unproven kids & trade pick 2 for blokes like Lachie Weller - which then leads to you having to give up pick 19 and a decent player just to salary dump - then you are poorly managed. You shouldn't accept it - clubs that are held accountable for their failures become better clubs. There is no good reason for the Suns to be doing this - you barely have an Elite player in your team. Last year you guys had to move off Wright for peanuts due to his large contract. Its an awful strategy. What you are doing this year is very similar to what the Pies had to do last year. That was clearly "mismanagement" & it was reported as such. The Suns however are getting hit with a total feather duster over the move - and to give the Pies some credit, they at least made a GF along the way. If this was a Victorian club, that list manager & GM wouldn't be able to walk down the street.

I don’t disagree that what we had to do is an awful strategy but look at the Tigers then look at the Suns. Lynch and Prestia elite players with the Suns left for less money to play with the Tigers. Mismanagement yes from previous administrations largely a one Scott Clayton but we also don’t have the luxuries that Victorian clubs have as well being an AFL state.

This problem was never going to be resolved overnight. If the Suns don’t play finals in the next 2 years then yes gross mismanagement.

If King, Lukosius and Rankine resign then it’s a master stroke. But yes we are whipping boys for the media and other supporters. We don’t consistently need to be reminded as well as we have lived an breathed it for the past 10 years.

If this was a Victorian club, that list manager & GM wouldn't be able to walk down the street.
Of course they wouldn't, and deservedly so, but you seem to be missing how much harder it is to establish the foundation of a good team in a northern market.

Take Carlton for example. They've been terrible for the better part of 15 years, and yet every year they have quality, desirable free agents and young players request trades home to Victoria and choose Carlton. When they draft players they are expected by all in the media to stay at Carlton, and this is realistically only because they are in Victoria.

No established players have ever really requested a free agency move to gold coast, nor do we get an influx of quality young players requesting a trade up here. we get the opposite. The media actively encourages our young guns to move away from the Suns if we aren't winning games and we have to fight tooth and nail just to get players to resign after their initial 2 year contract. We even have to change our drafting strategy around who we think will stay, not who is the best. No Victorian team has to do that.

King and Walsh were taken in the same draft and Victorian clubs are actively coming out and saying 'yeah we think he's gettable when his contract is up, gold coast aren't winning' etc. Haven't heard a single word from anyone in the media or other clubs about how Walsh should be on the move because Carlton can't win games

It puts us in a really difficult 3 to 4 year cycle where unless we can start establishing wins, players are encouraged to leave and we have to start our build again, but we cant win because we spent those 4 years trying to develop kids we'd taken in the draft and then lose them as soon as they're ready to contribute, which then forces us to overpay for players because the AFL mandates that you have to use 95% of your salary cap and we're left with players that probably wouldn't be getting games at other clubs.

In the space of 4 years we lost Ablett, Prestia, O'Meara, Lynch, May, Saad, Martin, and Dixon plus a bunch of other, less crucial players.

imagine where Richmond would have been if in 2010 - 2014 when you weren't winning you lost Cotchin, Riewoldt, Martin, Edwards, Rance, and Houli and were forced to rebuild each time.

Can't imagine you'd have won any premierships. I imagine you would also be stuck on the bottom of the ladder with overpaid contracts complaining about an inept football department.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what to say anymore.

we can’t trade anyone in because we ain’t a destination club and we don’t win.

all we had was drafting players to lift us up off the bottom to win..

We have gone from
One of the strongest draft hands in 2021 to the opposite end?

For what?
for money and having average players signed up long term.
🤷‍♂️

2022 looks tough.. I sure hope Steven king has a golden book from
His time at doggies with cheat codes to win a premiership

What I want to know is who was buying that 4milly home in Burleigh.

Our midfield is set and coming along nicely. Our ruck stocks are okay. Our small forwards are fine. Wings are fine. I can only see defence stocks and forward stocks an issue.
Forwards generally command more than defenders..
To be shopping around with 4 mil on the home that’s gotta be the likes of Buddy Franklin or similar..
Any other ideas?

Our midfield is set and coming along nicely. Our ruck stocks are okay. Our small forwards are fine. Wings are fine. I can only see defence stocks and forward stocks an issue.
To be shopping around with 4 mil on the home that’s gotta be the likes of Buddy Franklin or similar..
Any other ideas?
Noone was, no one of note ever comes to us

How fascinating that the people who liked this comment are the biggest negativity campaigners on the clubs thread. Bagging at the clubs every move without knowing anything about why they made the choices they did.

I’m not mad, just upset that we can’t be happy for Christ’s sake.

I know the Melbourne crew don’t know the facts, but you all do! We don’t just pay wages to players, we are growing and paying for that growth in the largest state of Australia single handedly out of our cap space.
We don’t have the businessmen yet prepared to cover the brown paper bags to assist players like 200 year old clubs do. We are young and we f’ed up the start and we are now trying to mend the old drama of the past. We are all in this together, I for one have been a member since the start and have wasted year after year my lounge passes, to the point I literally can’t even give them away in the back end of the season. In fact, I couldn’t even give them away on here one round!
Just think we should have some positive ideas instead of sh*t talking all the time, find the silver lining in discussions. Work out who would suit our team in what position and throw up ideas how to get them here and hopefully the teams sees our ideas and if we must have a sh*t talking column, let’s make it and throw all our grievances in there! 😂 love ya lads and want this to be a fun space, not a place for calling beyond blue after we read it.

I think a lot of us that have been here from the start have seen enough to rightfully be aggrieved at the club and it’s woeful performance, we have seen 11 years of bungles, much of which is self inflicted, the fact that we contribute every day shows our love and passion for the club.

Not everyone sees things as you do but I respect your contribution and insight, if you can’t value mine that’s cool that’s why there is an ignore button

Any other ideas?
In early December 2020, Buddy and Jesinta Franklin sold their $4 million Rose Bay home and bought a $5 million apartment nearby. Three weeks later they bought a $790,000 "luxury beach pad" in North Kirra. You'd have to think the Kirra property is purely an investment and that they are more inclined to live in a property around $4-5 million range. Therefore, a $4 million Burleigh property really isn't a stretch at all for the Franklins.

As we all know, Jesinta is a born and raised Gold Coaster who claims to have asked Buddy to play for the Suns several times throughout their relationship. She hasn't really made a secret of the fact that she wants to move back here one day and her parents still live here. There's definitely incentive to be around the grandparents when you have two young ones under the age of two as they do. Also, Jesinta has shown where her true allegiance lies in the past...

l5kq9I9.jpg

Any other ideas?
Clarko could afford it......

I think a lot of us that have been here from the start have seen enough to rightfully be aggrieved at the club and it’s woeful performance, we have seen 11 years of bungles, much of which is self inflicted, the fact that we contribute every day shows our love and passion for the club.

Not everyone sees things as you do but I respect your contribution and insight, if you can’t value mine that’s cool that’s why there is an ignore button
The thing is I have also. Changed my name a few times, that’s why you don’t recognise me. But you don’t see me harping on for the sake of it. Look, we can make excuses for our pessimism or we can change it. It says more about the individual I guess than the club so time we stopped talking about it. I’m not blocking anyone as it defeats the idea of a public forum and perspectives.
Would be just nice if we could use the actual trade forum as trade ideas, picks and selections than club bashing, doom and gloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back