2023 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said before pick 10 becomes 15.
5 of first 15 off the board and Sanders could be pre-listed to NM making it 6 of first 15. This draft is as compromised as the expansion drafts.

When do we stop getting these compromised drafts? It’s utter crap for teams unless you finish bottom 4 on ladder and encourages clubs to do what NM and Hawthorn did having to trade out players to ensure they fall low enough to get talent.
Otherwise you get stuck in mid table with ordinary talent.
Time for the clubs to stand up to the AFL. It is beyond ridiculous.

The issue I have with it, is not having the academies, but the fact they’re ‘run’ under the clubs banner. The AFL provides the funding to clubs like GC yet they get to call it their own academy. It ain’t GC investing their own money.

You really think kids wouldn’t join if it was called AFL academy and not GC academy? Boys in Vic don’t not sign up to play footy bc they’re worried about moving interstate
Can Open Season 2 GIF by Friends

From now until Tassie enters the 2027 AFLM Draft, I'm happy for a modicum of compromise.

If Tassie needs until 2030 to maintain this level, so be it.

If Tassie and others are still doing this in 2032 for instance, that's when it becomes an issue.
And what’s Sydney’s excuse?
40 years in.

You think they make GF last year without Heeney and Mills who were AA and the likes of Blakey and Gulden? Wouldn’t have made finals

The issue I have with it, is not having the academies, but the fact they’re ‘run’ under the clubs banner. The AFL provides the funding to clubs like GC yet they get to call it their own academy. It ain’t GC investing their own money.

You really think kids wouldn’t join if it was called AFL academy and not GC academy? Boys in Vic don’t not sign up to play footy bc they’re worried about moving interstate
Some boys wouldn’t join, because they wouldn’t have junior scouts pulling them over to AFL from other football codes or sports.

Other boys wouldn’t be joining, because they’d be choosing rugby league.

The Vic boys just pull the mummy’s boy card, or mental health card when they don’t want to move interstate.

You want the “system” fixed. I’m all for it. But fix everything wrong about the system, the very first being that it’s a Vic centric system, not a national centric system.

There are too many teams in Victoria, half of them have to go, and the games administration moved out of Victoria.

But you probably only want things that disadvantage your team removed, while keeping the inherent advantages.

40 years in.

You think they make GF last year without Heeney and Mills who were AA and the likes of Blakey and Gulden? Wouldn’t have made finals

Did the angst surrounding these “unfair” advantages magnify when non NSW/QLD teams were no long given access to NSW players?

Some boys wouldn’t join, because they wouldn’t have junior scouts pulling them over to AFL from other football codes or sports.

The Vic boys just pull the mummy’s boy card, or mental health card when they don’t want to move interstate.

You want the “system” fixed. I’m all for it. But fix everything wrong about the system, the very first being that it’s a Vic centric system, not a national centric system.

There are too many teams in Victoria, half of them have to go, and the games administration moved out of Victoria.

But you probably only want things that disadvantage your team removed, while keeping the inherent advantages.
Not sure the mummy’s boy card is just played by the vic boys. JHF pulled it out after 1 year.

40 years in.

I 100% agree that there should be no compromised drafts. No academies. No father sons.

But I also believe we should have a full home and away season. Less Victorian clubs. And that every club should travel interstate every second week.

If you don’t understand that the extra travel non VIC clubs have to deal with each season, actually impacts the final ladder, and players longevity in the game, then you’re only interested in the good of your own team, and not the good of the game.

Heeney has said in multiple interviews that he would have kept playing rugby league, if it wasn’t for the Swans academy.

Rugby league doesn’t have a draft. They have a feeder system that feeds the most talented kids from juniors right up in to the NRL teams.

You grow up supporting one club, if you’re good enough, you will play for that club, because you’re not being “drafted” by another club to go play elsewhere.

You only move, as a junior for better opportunities elsewhere, or as a professional for a better pay day.

That’s how football works up here.

The AFL is stuck between keeping the VFL clubs alive, while also trying to keep the non VFL clubs competitive.

Remove some of the inequities, such as the Northern academies, then all four northern clubs end up like Gold Coast circa 2017-2018.

Don’t disagree. Why there are 9 teams which is half the league in Melbourne. I guess everyone did join the VFL that’s why.
North should have been made to go up to GC and another team down to Tasmania. No team should have been in GWS imo as Swans had been established for 30 years. Crowds reflect my point.

Yeah players complaining about going interstate is ridiculous however interstate clubs do the same with kids from their own state. Half the interstate teams have academies so it’s really only 4 teams you’re comparing it to v 10 in Vic. You’d see it more if northern academies didn’t exist.

Hahah if you read my posts I bag my club which have been a disgrace for 20 years and cop crap for it in our threads don’t worry. I’m not a one eyed supporter. I’ve spoken also how Collingwood aren't 15-2 without Daicos x2, Darcy Moore. I also believe the FS rule is a load of crap.

At least he moved to start with.

It was then on your club to keep him.
Yeah North are in this hole mostly through their horrible list management. Could have had both Crows picks which were Rachele and Bailey Humphrey aswell as still keeping pick 1 this year for Sheezel.

Don’t disagree. Why there are 9 teams which is half the league in Melbourne. I guess everyone did join the VFL that’s why.
North should have been made to go up to GC and another team down to Tasmania. No team should have been in GWS imo as Swans had been established for 30 years. Crowds reflect my point.

Yeah players complaining about going interstate is ridiculous however interstate clubs do the same with kids from their own state. Half the interstate teams have academies so it’s really only 4 teams you’re comparing it to v 10 in Vic. You’d see it more if northern academies didn’t exist.

Hahah if you read my posts I bag my club which have been a disgrace for 20 years and cop crap for it in our threads don’t worry. I’m not a one eyed supporter. I’ve spoken also how Collingwood aren't 15-2 without Daicos x2, Darcy Moore. I also believe the FS rule is a load of crap.
It’s a National comp. You’re interstate.

Yeah North are in this hole mostly through their horrible list management. Could have had both Crows picks which were Rachele and Bailey Humphrey aswell as still keeping pick 1 this year for Sheezel.
I’ll just role with Sam McClure’s take from yesterday’s episode of Traders, in regards to North and JHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could have had a key forward as well, if they drafted Logan Mcdonald in 2020.

It’s a National comp. Your interstate.
Well it was the VFL which clubs joined therefore making them interstate. Unfortunately there can’t be 4 teams in every state as the population/ want isn’t enough

Don't understand the issue with Harley Reid declaring he doesn't want to leave Victoria or go to WCE. The club you support who takes him outside of Victoria will spend and use resources on a guy who will leave after two seasons. It saves you investing in him, giving him opportunities over others, you want and need this honesty.

Well it was the VFL which clubs joined therefore making them interstate. Unfortunately there can’t be 4 teams in every state as the population/ want isn’t enough
1 in Tassie (North). 1 in NT (Bombers). 2 in QLD, NSW, SA, WA. 1 in Geelong. 3 in in Melbourne.

Works for me.

Don't understand the issue with Harley Reid declaring he doesn't want to leave Victoria or go to WCE. The club you support who takes him outside of Victoria will spend and use resources on a guy who will leave after two seasons. It saves you investing in him, giving him opportunities over others, you want and need this honesty.
I agree. At the end of the day there’s nothing wrong saying it, it’s now up to WCE if the reports are true to decide whether they draft him and can show him why he should stay. Or they believe they can’t and trade for several picks. You can’t blame Harley Reid for not wanting to go to a club that has a percentage below 50 that hasn’t even started rebuilding lol.
North made the mistake of overestimating their ability to keep JHF as they’re a rabble and didn’t take the bounty of picks.

1 in Tassie (North). 1 in NT (Bombers). 2 in QLD, NSW, SA, WA. 1 in Geelong. 3 in in Melbourne.

Works for me.
Yeah but what 40% or so of AFL audience is from Victoria so that’s not reflected by your numbers is it

Yeah but what 40% or so of AFL audience is from Victoria so that’s not reflected by your numbers is it
Fairly sure that was a tongue in check comment, in all seriousness though, you could easily fold/relocate North, Saints and Dees and no one would really notice. As a freo supporter in Melbourne you notice how weak their supporter base is when you rock up to a game and there’s only 14k supporters and 3k are there for the travelling team.
When they close the broadcast side of the stadium to force everyone to sit where the cameras are facing and it still looks half empty, you have a problem.

The majority of the games revenue is generated in Victoria.

But by all means, set up league HQ in Redlands where AFL is an afterthought to the locals.

Fairly sure that was a tongue in check comment, in all seriousness though, you could easily fold/relocate North, Saints and Dees and no one would really notice. As a freo supporter in Melbourne you notice how weak their supporter base is when you rock up to a game and there’s only 14k supporters and 3k are there for the travelling team.
When they close the broadcast side of the stadium to force everyone to sit where the cameras are facing and it still looks half empty, you have a problem.
There are becoming too many teams and winning a premiership is getting harder and harder. The gap between the best and worse is getting bigger. Look how mediocre the teams 6,7,8 on the ladder are and they’re playing finals. The league says it’s good how competitive the comp is. It’s a distraction from how far everyone is away from the top teams and a genuine chance at winning the flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back