2023 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Stevens. Positives: pure footballer, high footy IQ, elite ball winner with excellent skills. Negatives: overall athletic ability.

Ashton Moir. Positives: skill set and decision making. Negatives: work rate, physicality and competitiveness.
I'm not sure where Stevens plays at AFL level. Charlie Constable vibes. Bulldogs were keen but if you're a mid who can't get separation you need to be outstanding in other parts of your game.

Moir is arguably the most skilled player in the draft pool. I 100% don't want the Bulldogs to even consider him. I'd rather a flawed player who fights hard than someone who is a gun but won't fight when the game is on the line. I suspect a team takes a chance on Moir as a finisher

First of the draft camp articles is out.

13 x Allies vs 16 x Vic Metro players received invites. Surprising given how the Allied team dominated the championships. I guess Metro & Country have been the biggest recruiting areas for sometime, but surely there will be a few bargains to be had from the Allied team. The Metro side was probably the weakest its been for years and a lot of their kids looked under developed physically compared to others.

I'm not sure where Stevens plays at AFL level. Charlie Constable vibes. Bulldogs were keen but if you're a mid who can't get separation you need to be outstanding in other parts of your game.

Moir is arguably the most skilled player in the draft pool. I 100% don't want the Bulldogs to even consider him. I'd rather a flawed player who fights hard than someone who is a gun but won't fight when the game is on the line. I suspect a team takes a chance on Moir as a finisher
I've heard Moir getting the most interest from pies.
Stevens has interest from Bombers.
I'd be more then happy to let someone else Draft both.

No mention of Big Meek from hawks. He is likely to remain behind Reeves in ruck spot. Not sure if he is happy to just play 80% VFL next yr.

Surely is a better option than few of Western Bulldogs’ Jordon Sweet, Power trio Scott Lycett, Brynn Teakle and Sam Hayes, and Giants duo Matt Flynn and Braydon Preuss.

He is OOC in 2024.

Remember a year ago when this draft was hyped up as a super draft?
It usually goes for the top end when discussing super drafts, the top 10 for this year is very very good but yeah the depth is very poor, I expect next years draft to be deeper but remains to be seen if the top end will be as good as this year.

Fair enough but also: they say that every other year. They're always shallow, and every second year the following year will be a super draft.

What is actually more of a factor in the length of the national draft is the introduction of SSP, which skims the best undrafted players out of the pool in March, before the U18s even starts, so you have less decent overage players running around.

Then the MSD takes what is left of the decent 19 year olds who have better exposed form in the first couple of months of the year.

You get to the end of the season and then there's a free agency period where you can sign all of the previously delisted players, many of whom were originally drafted high in the national draft and then delisted due to injuries, so when they finally get fit again they're still a half-decent player but don't need to be drafted.

By the time you get to the national draft most of the remaining players are 18 year olds, and of course some portion of those are father/son, NGA or northern academy players with ties to the clubs, but it's not because the overall available pool for clubs to pick from is smaller, rather it's because they've already selected some of the ones that were available via other pathways.

As a result, lots of clubs are only taking the CBA minimum of 3 in the national draft over the last few years (including rookie upgrades), rather than using national draft picks on your Mitch Browns, Michael Hartleys, Tim Kellys, Shaun McKernans, in the national or pre-season drafts.

Having 10-12 of the better mature players drafted in the middle of the year means there's less depth to the national draft as well.

Brady Rawlings all but confirmed today with Cal North's top 4 is finalised and in order for the year on their board

By elimination in the interview it contains (in no order) Reid, McKercher, Watson and Curtin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brady Rawlings all but confirmed today with Cal North's top 4 is finalised and in order for the year on their board

By elimination in the interview it contains (in no order) Reid, McKercher, Watson and Curtin.
Curtin would be vg for North, possibly even Reid of the Archer variety but do they have time for a KPD to mature?

Because you’re club decided to retire/delist all your older players and leaders in 2015/16.

You’re current predicament is of your own making.

You have been pillaged of all your players in their prime, or young draftees wanting to “go home”.

You might be about to lose 1 player, but he barely gets on the park because he’s always injured, and you’re all rubbing your hands together at the possible compensation, rather than lamenting losing a player, who plays in a position you’re extremely short on.

Oh get stuffed. What club who ever got assistance wasn't of their own making?

A fair bit of bad luck in their as well.

We lament the fact that McKay is disengaged and checked out for half his games. If we he was actually playing to his potential I'd be happy to have him.

Of course we're keen to be compensated - wtf comment is that

I reckon Curtin's debut in the WAFL seniors will give the Eagles recruitment something to think about if only momentarily. 14 possessions 4 marks in a half but just looks influential against a Peel Thunder which includes Freo players.

I reckon Curtin's debut in the WAFL seniors will give the Eagles recruitment something to think about if only momentarily. 14 possessions 4 marks in a half but just looks influential against a Peel Thunder which includes Freo players.
Playing as a defender or midfielder?

Didn't he play seniors last week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back