2023 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of the draft camp articles is out.

Saw Ashton Moir on the weekend , looks a million dollars but only got 4 possies including a goal that was a bit of a cheapie but his team thrashed the opposition so he wasn't really required , what's happened to Will Patton didn't play at any level for past few weeks

Saw Ashton Moir on the weekend , looks a million dollars but only got 4 possies including a goal that was a bit of a cheapie but his team thrashed the opposition so he wasn't really required , what's happened to Will Patton didn't play at any level for past few weeks
Is in a sling, assume he's had surgery on a shoulder or something similar.

Does anyone know what happened to Will Lorenz? Was looking back at the '10 Prospects to Watch in 2023' article from last year and he's gone from appearing there to missing nearly every Phantom Ranking I've seen lately.

Does anyone know what happened to Will Lorenz? Was looking back at the '10 Prospects to Watch in 2023' article from last year and he's gone from appearing there to missing nearly every Phantom Ranking I've seen lately.
Good. I'd really like him to somehow fall through the cracks just so Hawthorn can pick him up. But in all seriousness, I would be picking him in the 30-40 range. His performance on Grand Final day last year was stellar. Coming into the year, I thought he was a top-10 prospect that could rival for the top 5, but it seems he was strangely put on the back burner down at Oakleigh and didn't have much clarity on his role. He was playing defense and such and didn't really have a clear role. That said, it seems he played quite well at the school level. I hope he can have a successful finals campaign with Oakleigh. From what I've seen of him, he is clearly a talented player that I don't think has been given a great opportunity to thrive. He could very well be the bargain of this draft and one of the bargains of the current era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At Oakleigh he has been forced out of the midfield by the 2024 mids (Finn O'Sullivan, Jagga Smith, Tom Gross) and also at VM, so has played as a half forw flanker for most of the year with stints at half back and wing, still a good player, but the drop in poss and impact has lowered his value come draft time.

At Oakleigh he has been forced out of the midfield by the 2024 mids (Finn O'Sullivan, Jagga Smith, Tom Gross) and also at VM, so has played as a half forw flanker for most of the year with stints at half back and wing, still a good player, but the drop in poss and impact has lowered his value come draft time.
He’s been Munkara’d! Funnily enough I read on a bombers board he may be cut this year already…

Last edited:
What a farce this competition has become in the last couple of years, one of those kids was dropped as he couldn't cope with playing against men yet we have a 19 year old playing in a bottom side finishing top 10 in the Magarey and not getting a mention. The system is fully broken when you hear other stories of agents pulling their kids out of competition so they don't affect their draft chances

Drawing a bit of a long bow here, but after listening to Twomey today.

North receive pick 3 as McKay compo.

GWS trade 6 & 12 to North for pick 3.

North trade 2 & 6 to WC for pick 1.

1 North. Harley Reid.
2 West Coast. Colby McKercher.
3 GWS. Zane Duursma.
4 WB. Nick Watson.
5 Melbourne. Nate Caddy.
6 West Coast. Daniel Curtin.
7 Geelong. Connor O’Sullivan.
8 Essendon.
9 Adelaide.
10. ??? Who ever trades for it.

1 North. Harley Reid.
3 GWS. Zane Duursma.
4 WB. Nick Watson.
5 Melbourne. Nate Caddy.
8 Essendon.
9 Adelaide.
What happened to hawks pick?

1 North. Harley Reid.
3 GWS. Zane Duursma.
4 WB. Nick Watson.
5 Melbourne. Nate Caddy.
8 Essendon.
9 Adelaide.
Hawks pick is ghost like.

1 North. Harley Reid.
3 GWS. Zane Duursma.
4 WB. Nick Watson.
5 Melbourne. Nate Caddy.
8 Essendon.
9 Adelaide.
North would be miles better off keeping 6 and 12 imo. 6 is in the sweet spot for them and 12 will be around the mark of some good talls. I do get why GWS would need to trade up with potentially Duursma being the only great fit (considering go home factor plus types of players available) so it would probably require pick 2 for 6 and 12 if it happened.
They could take Caddy at 3 then still get one of Curtin, McKercher, Watson or O’Sullivan. It’s makes little difference for them having 2 and 3 or 3 and 6 imo.

But I do rate O’Sullivan higher then maybe I should

1 North. Harley Reid.
3 GWS. Zane Duursma.
4 WB. Nick Watson.
5 Melbourne. Nate Caddy.
8 Essendon.
9 Adelaide.
How did the WB get pick4?

1 North. Harley Reid.
3 GWS. Zane Duursma.
4 WB. Nick Watson.
5 Melbourne. Nate Caddy.
8 Essendon.
9 Adelaide.
Eagles are into Curtain apparently. No way he lasts until pick 6. Eagles will only trade pick 1, if they are assured of getting Curtain and a haul of picks. Hawks need talls and their list manager has indicated they intend to target some. Curtain will go within the top 3, whether it is Eagles or North.

Last edited:

1 North. Harley Reid.
3 GWS. Zane Duursma.
4 WB. Nick Watson.
5 Melbourne. Nate Caddy.
8 Essendon.
9 Adelaide.
If North get pick 3 for McKay then Giants first pick is 7 and second pick would be 14 at the earliest even before allowing for Suns academy picks.
I also think any team would be crazy to trade 2 and 6/7 for 1. That is like saying getting Reid is better than getting both Curtin and Caddy or McKercher and O'Sullivan

Eagles badly want Curtain. No way he lasts until pick 6. Eagles will only trade pick 1, if they are assured of getting Curtain and a haul of picks. Hawks need talls and their list manager has indicated they intend to target some. Curtain will go within the top 3, whether it is Eagles or North.
How do we know the eagles want curtin badly? Because the vic media doesnt want reid heading west?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back