Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 150 36.6%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.2%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.4%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

So something like:

Hawks:
Out: 4, 49, F1
In: Pick 1, North F3

West Coast:
Out: 1, F2, F3
In: 2, 8, 18, 49

North:
Out: 2, 15, 17, 18, F3
In: 4, Hawks F1, Eagles F2, Cats F3

Geelong:
Out: 8, F3
In: 15, 17, WC F3

Everyone loves a bit of posturing.

This is good for all but needs Cats to come to the party, not sure they will be happy 15 & 17.

2+8 for 1 is plenty by itself, not sure if 18 or 49 needs to be added in. So cancel out Eagles F2 and the 18. I think North want to keep a teens pick this yr, so they have 2,4,18, 57 for this draft.

After a trade for pick 1, I am more interested to see if we will try and snaffle a pick in 20's or 30's.
If we gain North or WC F3 in above trade, gives us options to swap F3's with another club.

For ex: if we hold pick 1, we can force a trade with Suns with promise to not bid on Walter. In return for one of their pick 27, we give our pick 44 and swap F3's( they hold Dons F3).

Based on McCabe bid we can then on trade pick 27 for another club's F2 + junk picks in this draft.

Say a club like Freo will take pick 27 for their F2+64 and then after McCabe bid trade their pick 34 for the Pies F2 we hold.

PS : Suns hold 24, 26, 27, 32, 36, 38, 66, 71 atm

Last edited:
Surely its going to be either Curtin or Watson?

If WC trade 1 then we get Watson, If they don't i can certainly see us drafting Curtin given his more needs basis

Curtin could be a poor mans Pavlich. You dont give that up for a small forward

Personally I do prefer Watson just for the entertainment value but you dont pick kids just for the "entertainment"

Surely its going to be either Curtin or Watson?

If WC trade 1 then we get Watson, If they don't i can certainly see us drafting Curtin given his more needs basis

Curtin could be a poor mans Pavlich. You dont give that up for a small forward

Personally I do prefer Watson just for the entertainment value but you dont pick kids just for the "entertainment"
If West Coast trade pick 1 there is a path to Duursma being there at 5

This is good for all but needs Cats to come to the party, not sure they will be happy 15 & 17.
Yeah I did say it was a bit light on for the Cats. Hence why I put the F3 upgrade in there. Though after watching them at the trade table with Port, they'll likely want two picks in the 60's as well.
2+8 for 1 is plenty by itself, not sure if 18 or 49 needs to be added in. So cancel out Eagles F2 and the 18. I think North want to keep a teens pick this yr, so they have 2,4,18, 57 for this draft.
Under normal circumstances, 2 and 8 would be enough. But it's not normal with Reid. They want a high price for pick 1. I don't think 2 and 8 alone will do it.
After a trade for pick 1, I am more interested to see if we will try and snaffle a pick in 20's or 30's.
If we gain North or WC F3 in above trade, gives us options to swap F3's with another club.
I would really love for us to get back in the draft at the tail end of the 1st round and grab tall forward Archer Reid. He was touted as a top 5 pick end of last year. Had some injuries and took a while to get his form back. But started showing his potential again at the end of the season. Would be a great get to have developing at BH I think. Others to look out for after that would be Ashton Moir and Will Lorenz. Would be happy to sneak either of them.

I didn't know you could do that, I thought Stephens was already contracted. Chad makes more sense as it's a new deal
They both have contracts for next year. Both will be honored, just on the rookie list instead of the seniors.
That's assuming North don't pick Duursma with pick 3?

They will go Read 1 and Duursma at 3
I can't see North taking Reid and Duursma with both playing similar positions. Albeit Reid being better and more versatile. I would think it would be better for them to take Reid then someone different like McKercher or Watson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks to trade out Pick 4 to Giants for Pick 7 & Giants F1st

Hawks Pick up O'Sullivan, McCabe & Dear and really stock up on KPPs

Re-rookie Stephens & Wingard

Getting another Pick next year would only give us another asset to trade with in next year's draft to help get an A grade player next year.

Thoughts?
Sounds too good to be true. There will be a few quality players available around that pick: Caddy, Watson, O'Sullivan. I suspect GWS would more likely want to trade 7 & 16 for our pick 4. If they gave us giants first for next year will be dream.

There are still good players around picks 15-18. I wonder what Nth melb want to do with picks 15,17&18. There are KPP players around those marks too, Ollie Murphy (KPP), there are also promising fwds in collard, tholstrup as fwd/mid.

Morning.

As we traded for Ginnivan, and I accept that it was an opportunistic move on our part - then as much as Watson is admired as a prospect, surely Ginnivan covers the small forward role, at least until Breust retires - and that could be another 2 years away.

We have addressed the forward issue, with Chol, Gunston and Ginnivan - those 3 with Lewis, Moore and Bruest (+ Chad / Butler / a.n.other) would seem to give us an improvement on last seasons attacking options.

Unless we are giving frosty another go, then the pressing need has to be KPD.

Blanck can't do it on his own. Sicily is elite as the 3rd man / interceptor so it's madness to limit his influence on the back six by putting him on a monster forward.

We are very small down back (and I know you guys all know that!) - but with the mooted addition on Amon down back (as per track watchers), I'm just not seeing how our back 6 shapes up unless either:
Frost returns
Phillips is seen as a viable option
We are drafting one.

Blanck, Sicily, Amon and Hardwick are locks.

That leaves two from: Scrimmers, Impey, Mitchell, Weddle, CJ and Frost.

If the training guys are right, then CJ and Weddle are potentially being moved up the field (apologies if I have misread the reports) - so, jeez:

Mitchell Blanck Hardwick
Amon Sicily Impey / Scrimshaw

That's a blooming short defensive 6.

Scrimshaw Frost Hardwick
Amon Blanck Sicily

That looks better on paper, but well, it's Frosty again, and we lose wee baby Seamus's drive from the backline.

Are we going to take Phillips or do you think we will draft Curtain?

Scrimshaw Phillips / Curtain Hardwick
Amon Blanck Sicily

That looks better, but then throws all sorts of questions about the roles of Mitchell, Scrimshaw, Impey, Weddle and CJ next season.

I'll admit - the move of Amon down back - and he will be excellent there no doubt, has thrown up a heap of questions I have no answer for.

What do you guys think - do we draft Phillips and Curtain?
I don’t get the Ginnivan recruitment influencing our draft hand. You need 3 quality small fwds to contend. It’s no reason to not draft Watson.

I don’t get the Ginnivan recruitment influencing our draft hand. You need 3 quality small fwds to contend. It’s no reason to not draft Watson.

I suppose not drafting him (provided Duursma and McKercher are both gone) would be an indication that the club rates Butler, JOS and Bennetts enough to believe that at least one will become a good AFL player.

If McCabe goes late first round our first 2 40s picks will get it done. Would leave us with 49,62,63 which come into about 46,56,57 on my calculations so we would be able to get Jiath if he slid or someone else of interest and Dear now we have the list spots.
Wonder if we would trade our F2 plus 49 if a player is available that we like. Assuming we’ve already matched McCabe and have enough points for dear. Understand we would need a F3 back.

Wonder if we would trade our F2 plus 49 if a player is available that we like. Assuming we’ve already matched McCabe and have enough points for dear. Understand we would need a F3 back.
We definitely could - clubs who have bids to match next year could be interested in the f2’albeit pies f2. Seems to be a good draft to take a speculative tall pick in the 30+ range.
It’s not true we need an f3 back you can trade out all your later than first round picks, but if you want to trade your f1 you need to either get one back or at minimum hold an f2/3.

With the extra picks I suspect we're planning a deal with the Suns.. they'll be in desperate need of extra points to match their 4 academy bids.. Could this open the door to getting pick 27 off them and bundling it up with Pick 4 & F1 for Pick 1 off the Eagles?

Trade 1 - 44,47,63 for 27
Trade 2 - 4,27,F1 for 1,58,F3

With the extra picks I suspect we're planning a deal with the Suns.. they'll be in desperate need of extra points to match their 4 academy bids.. Could this open the door to getting pick 27 off them and bundling it up with Pick 4 & F1 for Pick 1 off the Eagles?

Trade 1 - 44,47,63 for 27
Trade 2 - 4,27,F1 for 1,58,F3
Would be lovely to find a way to get Harley just not sure even that’s enough. It’s all very complicated due to the compromised nature of the first round. By my calcs and assuming Croft and McCabe bids are after pick 13
Suns match Walter at 2 use 24,26,27 get back 56.
Suns match read at 7 use 32,36,38 (which become 30,34,36) get 45 back.
Suns match rogers around 14 based on RMC rankings then they have 45, 55(56), 64(66),69(71) so are about a mid 50s pick short.
So they will definitely live trade on the night to increase points as they also need points for Will Graham. I doubt it will be with us though Essendon, Lions and Freo seem well placed to give them later picks for their earlier ones.

Would be lovely to find a way to get Harley just not sure even that’s enough. It’s all very complicated due to the compromised nature of the first round. By my calcs and assuming Croft and McCabe bids are after pick 13
Suns match Walter at 2 use 24,26,27 get back 56.
Suns match read at 7 use 32,36,38 (which become 30,34,36) get 45 back.
Suns match rogers around 14 based on RMC rankings then they have 45, 55(56), 64(66),69(71) so are about a mid 50s pick short.
So they will definitely live trade on the night to increase points as they also need points for Will Graham. I doubt it will be with us though Essendon, Lions and Freo seem well placed to give them later picks for their earlier ones.
Do the suns have that many senior list spots?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back