Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

I suspect if the club interview Curtin again, one of the most important things they will want to know is how happy he would be playing key back instead of in the midfield like he wants.

They have probably already asked but might want further clarification from him.

Just trade curtin for reid amd we get our man in the long run. 😉

A player leaving is a problem when you dont get value for them, like hill, but not if we get a deal done that worls for us. Can even work in our favour. Pick the best player and convince them they are at the right club should always be plan A unless there is a clear issue with the Player being away from home.
I've seen this mentioned a fair bit as a reason to draft Curtin but there's a couple of flaws to it. 1) it would rely on both becoming guns which is no guarantee and even then if one was considerably better then the other (ie Reid > Curtin) then we'd likely also have to add something more to get him. 2) What's to say that Reid would want to come to us due to the go home factor.

If we draft Curtin it will be because we believe he'll be a one club player for the HFC.

I've seen this mentioned a fair bit as a reason to draft Curtin but there's a couple of flaws to it. 1) it would rely on both becoming guns which is no guarantee and even then if one was considerably better then the other (ie Reid > Curtin) then we'd likely also have to add something more to get him. 2) What's to say that Reid would want to come to us due to the go home factor.

If we draft Curtin it will be because we believe he'll be a one club player for the HFC.
Yeah man, the wink part wasnt my serious syggestion but i guess it is a possible outcome, just not probable. Just pick the best player and live with that. We arent north. Players want to play at hawthorn.

The Rocket Hello GIF by Matchroom

Even if west coast don’t get a deal for pick 1 I still don’t see them passing on Curtin
If West Coast take Curtin at 1, then Paul Hasleby is right, they should close the place down.

Clubs are falling over themselves to get pick 1 from them with the intention of drafting Reid.

They would easily be able to get Curtin at any pick between 2-6 if they traded down, and receive plenty of additional draft capital too.

There’s zero chance they’ll be taking Curtin at pick 1.

If West Coast take Curtin at 1, then Paul Hasleby is right, they should close the place down.

Clubs are falling over themselves to get pick 1 from them with the intention of drafting Reid.

They would easily be able to get Curtin at any pick between 2-6 if they traded down, and receive plenty of additional draft capital too.

There’s zero chance they’ll be taking Curtin at pick 1.
Just because clubs are desperate to try, unless they can offer curtin it’s pointless. A modern day Pavlich vs a future gun midfielder (the difference is one is from w.an and the other isn’t) pick of the two who will end up with the better career.

I don’t see us passing on curtin either, so that means if they take Reid either north or us could take him. North would just to trade for Reid next year…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just because clubs are desperate to try, unless they can offer curtin it’s pointless. A modern day Pavlich vs a future gun midfielder (the difference is one is from w.an and the other isn’t) pick of the two who will end up with the better career.

I don’t see us passing on curtin either, so that means if they take Reid either north or us could take him. North would just to trade for Reid next year…
Eagles have seen the pre draft deals including 2,15,18 for 1,23 from north and rightly rejected it. If they wanted Curtin they could simply take that deal and take Curtin, add an extra pick 15 and upgrade 23 to 18. To suggest they would or should take Curtin at 1 is lunacy beyond comprehension. They know North are desperate for Reid and will cave on the night or in the unlikely event that they don’t they end up with Harley Reid. I have believed all along that the 2,15,18 offer is close but needs one pick upgraded to top 10 and 23 becomes 37 coming back and it will get done live trade on the night. Fascinated to see how close this is.

Eagles have seen the pre draft deals including 2,15,18 for 1,23 from north and rightly rejected it. If they wanted Curtin they could simply take that deal and take Curtin, add an extra pick 15 and upgrade 23 to 18. To suggest they would or should take Curtin at 1 is lunacy beyond comprehension. They know North are desperate for Reid and will cave on the night or in the unlikely event that they don’t they end up with Harley Reid. I have believed all along that the 2,15,18 offer is close but needs one pick upgraded to top 10 and 23 becomes 37 coming back and it will get done live trade on the night. Fascinated to see how close this is.
I thought north only offered 3? If they offered 2 and the 15/18 that’s a fair trade.

The beggars are desperate for anything tho

I thought north only offered 3? If they offered 2 and the 15/18 that’s a fair trade.

The beggars are desperate for anything tho
It was reported as 2 and 2 late first round picks which I guess was 15,18. It may be fair but the eagles want more and so would I. There is no way they are giving up 23 as the first pick on night 2 that’s another asset that clubs will come for and offer more capital which is exactly what the eagles need.
This assumes a highly ranked player isn’t on the board who like Reid they simply hold the pick and take of course. Having the first pick of each night is an amazing position to maximise draft returns.

With all the Watson talk, and Ginnivan coming on board, is Butler now closer to being a bust than he is a success?

Why is Butler a bust as an individual because of other players recruited around him?

Breust and Wingard haven't got long left.

If we draft Watson, long term we'll be looking at he and Ginnivan as the immediate replacements, with one of Butler, O'Sullivan and Bennets the next in line.

But Butler is talented enough to make one of those first picked positions his own if he fulfils his ability. He has more athletic weapons than Ginnivan, so take will tell if he puts it all together.

Pick trade window closes at 5pm tomorrow. Then it's on the night.
Cannot see pick 1 being traded on the night. No way.
I could only ever see it being traded on the night unless North offered up something like 2 and 3 before this deadline.

Why is Butler a bust as an individual because of other players recruited around him?

Breust and Wingard haven't got long left.

If we draft Watson, long term we'll be looking at he and Ginnivan as the immediate replacements, with one of Butler, O'Sullivan and Bennets the next in line.

But Butler is talented enough to make one of those first picked positions his own if he fulfils his ability. He has more athletic weapons than Ginnivan, so take will tell if he puts it all together.

At Hawthorn I’m saying - not specifically as an individual.

Not to be argumentative, but would you see DGB as a success if Curtin is still recruited as a CHB/Floating defender? Recruiting for a position with current stocks in those positions would typically suggest said stocks are no longer the preferred. Especially in this case where the age of those in the conversation are so close.

Pound for pound I think Ginnivan is currently streets ahead of Butler. Athletic weapons yeah sure they’re very handy depending on the position, but smarts, creativity and precision is what they need. Ginnivan is a cents into dollars forward. Once his engine is a 3 to 4 quarter engine, and his source methods are more rounded, the standard to qualify as a hawks small forward will explode.

Moore. Chol. Gunston.
Ginnivan. Lewis. Watson.

Breust. McKenzie. Cooper Mac. Worp all rotating/relieving.

With the hawks permanent small forwards combined with the depth of mids, I get the sense that unless you’re absolutely exceptional and efficient (max return for minimal input), you’re not going to be a permanent fixture.

Watson fits so many of what and where I personally see this forward mix ending up. Mitchell has made it clear as day they’re going to be a bums on seats, movement focussed, goal manic team. I just wonder where Butler fits into all of this.

At Hawthorn I’m saying - not specifically as an individual.

Not to be argumentative, but would you see DGB as a success if Curtin is still recruited as a CHB/Floating defender? Recruiting for a position with current stocks in those positions would typically suggest said stocks are no longer the preferred. Especially in this case where the age of those in the conversation are so close.

Pound for pound I think Ginnivan is currently streets ahead of Butler. Athletic weapons yeah sure they’re very handy depending on the position, but smarts, creativity and precision is what they need. Ginnivan is a cents into dollars forward. Once his engine is a 3 to 4 quarter engine, and his source methods are more rounded, the standard to qualify as a hawks small forward will explode.

Moore. Chol. Gunston.
Ginnivan. Lewis. Watson.

Breust. McKenzie. Cooper Mac. Worp all rotating/relieving.

With the hawks permanent small forwards combined with the depth of mids, I get the sense that unless you’re absolutely exceptional and efficient (max return for minimal input), you’re not going to be a permanent fixture.

Watson fits so many of what and where I personally see this forward mix ending up. Mitchell has made it clear as day they’re going to be a bums on seats, movement focussed, goal manic team. I just wonder where Butler fits into all of this.
This isn’t the list management or player review thread.

Let’s stick to the draft.

Back