Opinion 2023 AFL Draft Prospects

Who do you want for our first pick at the AFL Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah they do, it'd be interesting to see those stats. Take off speed is definitely an advantage but I put more weight in repeat sprints, as that is closer to in game conditions.
Faster 20m sprints after 3 is far less impressive than faster 20m sprints after 30.

Croft has endurance and is quick off the mark. That should mean he'll lose little speed throughout a game..... hopefully.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm saying we can trade Gold Coast's future second so long as what we get back also has a future second. For example if a team like Collingwood or Brisbane wanted to trade up their future seconds and give away a pick this year to do it.
That’d work.

Best line in there "Sanders is deceptively quick"
I think he suffers from being in the same Tassie midfield as McKercher and Rogers who are both elite for speed.
Compared to those two he can look slow on the outside.
Those two also get the benefit of McKercher releasing them out the front of stoppages with his contested work and handballing so they get to show their breakaway speed.

He's very sharp around the packs, he runs around with fast short steps, a bit like Libba does, which allows him to change direction quickly when he's tracking the ball, stay strong over the ball and get disposals off quickly.

The other fallacy is that he's a bad kick. I think that comes about because he handballs a lot more than he kicks and he's kicking out of congestion a lot.
I actually think he's a very effective kick when he's got space. Both in vision and placement.

He also easily roosts goals from 50. In the footage available I reckon he misses half a dozen tough shots by less than a metre. He'd have a much sexier highlights package if they'd gone through.

Suns should have the picks for Walters Read & Rogers if smart enough and neither Rogers or Read goes earlier than planned. Graham will be traded for and there's a few suitors for suns to trade with. Freo & Hawks will have their points for theirs. GWS has 2 academy kids they have yet to nominate but expected late or rookies.

Actually I believe Suns will trade when it comes to Rogers even if they have the points. As I said in the trade thread they'll likely split 24 so they can use 4 picks on Walters to help have their next lot picks be lower for Read. Likely use another 4 picks on read then trade picks around for Rogers and Graham.

Just some dude having a crack at a full phantom draft from his kitchen, but his result of Watson, Croft, Lual and O'Leary would be pretty nice.

Checked out who he recommended for our 4th pick if indeed we take one: Tarkyn O'Leary. It's all a bit pie in the sky with later picks but this guy is just about the fastest player I've seen in a long time. Perfect winger. You never know!

I think he suffers from being in the same Tassie midfield as McKercher and Rogers who are both elite for speed.
Compared to those two he can look slow on the outside.
Those two also get the benefit of McKercher releasing them out the front of stoppages with his contested work and handballing so they get to show their breakaway speed.

He's very sharp around the packs, he runs around with fast short steps, a bit like Libba does, which allows him to change direction quickly when he's tracking the ball, stay strong over the ball and get disposals off quickly.

The other fallacy is that he's a bad kick. I think that comes about because he handballs a lot more than he kicks and he's kicking out of congestion a lot.
I actually think he's a very effective kick when he's got space. Both in vision and placement.

He also easily roosts goals from 50. In the footage available I reckon he misses half a dozen tough shots by less than a metre. He'd have a much sexier highlights package if they'd gone through.
Really love the look of Sanders. People knock his pace and kicking skills, from what I've seen he just looks a natural player with contested ball instincts you cant coach. The impression he gives me is a cross between Horne-Francis and Darrren Jarman. Nuff said... get him in.

Really love the look of Sanders. People knock his pace and kicking skills, from what I've seen he just looks a natural player with contested ball instincts you cant coach. The impression he gives me is a cross between Horne-Francis and Darrren Jarman. Nuff said... get him in.
I’m surprised by how many people are suggesting he gets criticism over his kicking skills. Can’t say I’ve noticed it, the only criticism of his kicking that I’d have is that he is too quick to handball instead of composing himself and looking for a target by foot. If he sorted that out, he’s a pretty close Libba replacement and I’d be more than happy to have him

I’m surprised by how many people are suggesting he gets criticism over his kicking skills. Can’t say I’ve noticed it, the only criticism of his kicking that I’d have is that he is too quick to handball instead of composing himself and looking for a target by foot. If he sorted that out, he’s a pretty close Libba replacement and I’d be more than happy to have him
He just moves like a natural player. And that really cant be taught. He obviously knows how to rack up the stats to, so he also has a tank, and the fact he loves the contest is just super compelling. Love to him in the RWB.

I'd be rapt if we got him too. Interesting player comparisons, I thought he was a bit of JHF mixed with Clayton Oliver.

Any decent ruck prospects we can realistically look at either late in the draft or in the rookie draft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vigo Visentini, he's already pretty big, very physical, Sweet type.
Interesting write up on a kid called Taylor Goad on the AFL site today. Mobile ruckman who can impact around the ground/on ground level. We don't need another barely gets 10 possessions at AFL level ruckman. So I hope anyone we may look at, is physical, mean, solid at hitouts and can actually be useful outside the tap.

Two pretty big wraps on Dan Curtin

Granted…both have reason to be a bot biased. Interesting that his manager named big interest from Hawks. I wonder who they would choose out of Curtin or Watson?

Edit: Seems like Clarkson has had a close look two. Interesting comments from Talent Manager of WA regarding north picking Curtin at pick 2 “I would be my house on it” link below

Last edited:
Interesting.

So if Curtin is indeed picked up before us, then we will have a choice between Watson or Sanders which will be fantastic.

I will be fascinated to see what the dogs do in that situation.
Both glaring needs, can’t really go wrong.

My gut feel is that we might pick Sanders on the account of our no dickhead policy. Watson seems that confident type who doesn’t mind the limelight/attention where as Sanders seems the more coachable type who is already a professional before walking in the doors on day 1.

I’m happy with either but have Watson just ahead as he helps us push for flag in short term. I know thats not why you draft someone but flags are hard to come by. Probably more confident in Sanders being Elite than Watson though. Happy either way

Sanders vision from last year when he was less bulked up, seemed to play with more burst and seemed to have overall very good speed. Reminded me of Bailey Smith with the long blonde flowing hair.

Definitely think he has the capability to play a good inside / outside mix. In that Clayton Oliver / JHF style.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fair enough. My point was these are pretty slow times and all these guys might struggle on forwards with good take off speed like the Kings, Naughton, Jamarra etc.

Murphy's testing really is no good. He's no where near his current playing weight, so thats a huge concern. He has performed well against some the better players though and stll might develop into an Alex Pearce type.
We put too much emphasis on combine results

Sam Collins would test terribly.
Kreuzer is slow. Bont was in the bottom 10% for acceleration.

No testing will work out how competitive and motivated a player is, two far more important attributes. I'd take Ollie Murphy in a heartbeat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2023 AFL Draft Prospects

Back