Opinion 2023 AFL Draft Prospects

Who do you want for our first pick at the AFL Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't seen any of him, or the alternatives, but is McKercher's CP:UP ratio a concern? His numbers from U18 don't look flash, and I would hazard an educated guess that the strike rate of top ten players with a CP% of 28% is not high.

BigFooty popularity for those players, though, is off the charts (hello Jimmy Toumpas and James Aish).
I think it's more to do with the role he was playing than any sort of timidness or lack of ability.
He has shown physicality at times and is definitely composed in congestion.
I wouldn't have any concerns if he made it to us

Probably more of a product of his role on a particularly strong Allies team/midfield. Still had more clearances than Sanders at the Champs.

I think it's more to do with the role he was playing than any sort of timidness or lack of ability.
Devil's advocate argument is that this is the stock standard counter that was given for the previous two I mentioned, too. Many players playing outside roles end up with numbers that are superior, and we know from history that it's a decent predictor of success at the next level.

As I say, not necessarily a criticism or a reason not to select him. I'm just always wary of players that BigFooty sees as a clear top two who 'suddenly' seem a possibility at pick 6 leading up to the draft - especially when they have low contested numbers.

Last edited:

Is Curtin any relation to ex-PM John, or his nephew and Fitzroy goalkicker Claude?
John was a native Vic (born in Creswick) who migrated to Perth.

John also asked Jack Dyer to go easy on his nephew when their clubs met - Dyer made a point of going out and belting Claude next game they played!

Claude was unlucky - Roys' leasing goalkicker several times during WW2, but missed most of 1944 (and Fitzroy's last flag) as he was away on military service. (John Barker ex-Hawk is one of Claude's grandsons.)

Think I read Daniel has lived in a few states, but the earlier Curtins were also football or political nomads.

I know it's an unfair comparison, but there is something of the Toumpas about McKercher. He looked great in the juniors, but it didn't translate at AFL level. It's always comforting when they've played a few games against men and acquitted themselves well.

Devil's advocate argument is that this is the stock standard counter that was given for the previous two I mentioned, too. Many players playing outside roles end up with numbers that are superior, and we know from history that it's a decent predictor of success at the next level.

As I say, not necessarily a criticism or a reason not to select him. I'm just always wary of players that BigFooty sees as a clear top two who 'suddenly' seem a possibility at pick 6 leading up to the draft - especially when they have low contested numbers.

CD’s Mendoza line for CPs is 30%, but I suspect McKercher was above that in the CTL. He was top 10-15 in CPs (also top 10 in clearances). Toumpas was at 22% his draft year. From memory, McKercher has shown a more aptitude as both a clearance and outside player than Toumpas or Aish had.

Mekercher way quicker than both Toumpas and Aish. Real burst speed from stoppage. What I love most is he kicks goals on the run under pressure. Would be a second possession player, with someone dishing it to him for him to take off with it. Im guessing the reason his contested numbers are so low is because Sanders was dishing it off to him most of the time rather than him being scared of the contest or unable to win his own ball. Its not his one wood but I don’t think teams would want it to be with wheels like his

Cant see him making it to pick 6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twomey gets fed info so would think it's probably not too far from the mark.
The mock draft was just him and Kevin Sheehan going pick for pick. No inside info but he did say that if he was us, choosing between Watson and Sanders he thinks Sanders would be his choice.

Worth watching Gettable for their mock draft?

I like hearing them both discuss players, they know the pool pretty well. Too early for real intel

I don't have his stats for the full season, but past the midway point in the Coates League, his contested possession rate was around 35% with an average of 6 clearances.

It's probably considered a minor concern by clubs, I don't think it's a major concern. A few other minor concerns I have is his inconsistency by foot, defensive game and overhead ability. The one major concern I have is that he's very one sided and he's going to get caught out at AFL level with some of the blind turns he does.

for our later picks (assuming we take Watson) I’m liking the sound/look of:

Kade De La Rude - High Half forward/Mid with polish, my mate whos involved at vic country says he is very coachable and has good composure/skill

Clay Hall - tough tall (189) inside mid with good tank.

Vigo Visentini - bit of a project ruckmen but heard the Sandy coach say he has never done a pre season due to injury so some untapped potential

Joel Freijah - 190cm proper wingman, sub 3 second 20m sprint and 6:13 2km makes him ideal winger at next level

Nathan Philactides - pacy small defender who could take Duryea’s gig

Would obviously love Lual but Carlton apparently like him and have two picks before 40. Fingers crossed

Last edited:
I know it's an unfair comparison, but there is something of the Toumpas about McKercher. He looked great in the juniors, but it didn't translate at AFL level. It's always comforting when they've played a few games against men and acquitted themselves well.
Toumpas was ruined by injury though. His hips killed him early in his career

Anybody else who would be disappointed if we ended up with Watson? He looks quite weak and his disposal/goal accuracy is below average.

Sanders looks leagues better and would a fill a huge need for us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Watson's field kicking is underrated
In one of his champs games it was windy as hell, most kids struggled to hit targets but Watson looked like he was playing another sport. A class above everyone else on the ground

Anybody else who would be disappointed if we ended up with Watson? He looks quite weak and his disposal/goal accuracy is below average.

Sanders looks leagues better and would a fill a huge need for us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not me, kicking is one of his strengths and his goal sense is better than anyone we currently have on our list. Add footy IQ and speed and he's a handful then throw in some arrogance/confidence and in your face attitude and we have someone who can potential turn games. I don't care if we select him or Sanders because both offer us something we need and I'm excited for either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2023 AFL Draft Prospects

Back