Game Day 2023 AFL Draft - The Late Male Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Our lack of F/S success is at least partly self inflicted in that from the first 6 years of our existence (let alone foundation players) only 9 of the players signed reached 100 for the club. Apply that same criteria to Port its 23. Only 3 of our players to have played 100 games are over 50 as of right now. Including them only 7 are over 45. 37 of the 49 players we have on 100+ are under 43 and 29 are under 40.

Here is an interesting question. Let's say the original rule for us of players who played 150 games for East Fremantle, South Fremantle, Perth or Swan Districts prior to 1995 was amended to something fairer like 100 games for these teams prior to 1995 and / or Fremantle combined (and remove the sunset of 2015. That was such bullsh*t). How many more players would we actually have gotten as exclusives:

Dillion O'Reilly (joy)
Ed Allen
Clem Michael
?

I believe we had a period of time during the Lyon success era where most of the players who had qualified for father son were either still playing or had left football only a handful of years prior.

We are literally a generation behind. This is the argument we should be making for NGA access at any pick.

Our lack of F/S success is at least partly self inflicted in that from the first 6 years of our existence (let alone foundation players) only 9 of the players signed reached 100 for the club. Apply that same criteria to Port its 23. Only 3 of our players to have played 100 games are over 50 as of right now. Including them only 7 are over 45. 37 of the 49 players we have on 100+ are under 43 and 29 are under 40.

Here is an interesting question. Let's say the original rule for us of players who played 150 games for East Fremantle, South Fremantle, Perth or Swan Districts prior to 1995 was amended to something fairer like 100 games for these teams prior to 1995 and / or Fremantle combined (and remove the sunset of 2015. That was such bullsh*t). How many more players would we actually have gotten as exclusives:

Dillion O'Reilly (joy)
Ed Allen
Clem Michael
?
Is Perth in our F/S zone? If so why did Cousins go to the Weags?

Anyhoo, I'm gonna work on that question and get some names back to you...

The quickest and easiest way for new clubs would be to have foundation players, who play 1 game, eligible.
100% this. Then increase the games eligibility slightly year on year until the club is old enough.

I'd like for us, Port and Adelaide to join West Coast, Geelong and Collingwood in questioning the NGA and Northern Academy formats as they currently stand. Essendon and Hawthorn should also be questioning it as the also lost NGA players.

Does anyone have a reaction video of Collard getting drafted 😂
Jack Dawson GIF by Titanic

Paracleet this will be my rolling list. Will update when I find more.

Brandon Matera & Bailey Matera (Wally played 142 games for SF)

Cousins had three choices Geelong, Eagles and Dockers.Chose Eagles.
How was he linked to WC as F/S if players from Perth FC were tied to Freo? Also lol at being eligible for Geelong when Bryan played 67 games there (the Jonathan Brown rule).

Jeremy Sharp could be used as a loophole to effectively trial three players for one list spot.

We could commit to Sharp unofficially now but not officially sign him until we make the decision on the final list spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was he linked to WC as F/S if players from Perth FC were tied to Freo? Also lol at being eligible for Geelong when Bryan played 67 games there (the Jonathan Brown rule).
From what I remember it was because his father had played so many for Perth. All I know is that he had three choices.

While Cousins was still at school, three AFL teams competed to draft him under the father–son rule: the Geelong Football Club, the West Coast Eagles, and the newly formed Fremantle Football Club. Cousins' father Bryan played 238 games for Perth in the WAFL and 67 games for Geelong in the VFL during the 1970s and 1980s. Geelong's recruiting manager, Stephen Wells, said, "Ben barracked for Geelong and we tried everything to get him here."[7] However, Cousins preferred to remain based in Western Australia and chose West Coast in October 1995.

Dillion O'Reilly (joy)
Ed Allen
Clem Michael
?
Edit: My list is wrong.

Ed would not have been eligible because Ben was Claremont. A timely moment to remind everyone that even though our foundation zone clubs were East Fremantle, South Fremantle, Swan Districts and Claremont, for F/S Claremont got replaced by Perth. (presumably because West Coast wanted Claremont).

From what I remember it was because his father had played so many for Perth. All I know is that he had three choices.

While Cousins was still at school, three AFL teams competed to draft him under the father–son rule: the Geelong Football Club, the West Coast Eagles, and the newly formed Fremantle Football Club. Cousins' father Bryan played 238 games for Perth in the WAFL and 67 games for Geelong in the VFL during the 1970s and 1980s. Geelong's recruiting manager, Stephen Wells, said, "Ben barracked for Geelong and we tried everything to get him here."[7] However, Cousins preferred to remain based in Western Australia and chose West Coast in October 1995.
I mean that's shithousery of the highest order that Ben gets to the Weags then, and they didn't have to give up a pick for him. Our club is cursed.

Edit: My list is wrong.

Ed would not have been eligible because Ben was Claremont. A timely moment to remind everyone that even though our foundation zone clubs were East Fremantle, South Fremantle, Swan Districts and Claremont, for F/S Claremont got replaced by Perth. (presumably because West Coast wanted Claremont).
Yet they still got Cousins.

I think it's because the rule we are all thinking of didn't actually exist in 1995. It was only codified later (I have an idea much later, in the 2000's)

Stuff having a quarantine over round 1 or 2 or whatever. Just make it the first 18 picks. There’s some clarity at least. Still a shit arbitrary line though.

Paracleet this will be my rolling list. Will update when I find more.

Brandon Matera & Bailey Matera (Wally played 142 games for SF)
I gave up as it's all too depressing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2023 AFL Draft - The Late Male Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back