Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

All talk of locks just lock Petracca in again

4 AA's in a row.

To go with soon to be 2 BF's and a Norm Smith

Over a 4 year year period, he is the games number 1 player.

Has gotten even better and stepped up to a new level when his partner in crime the last 2 year winning AFLCA winner has been out injured.

Come at me.....

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Max 3 years wasn’t the best in 2020 but great footballer. Been saying for a while he is better than Pendles. X factor is immense.

All talk of locks just lock Petracca in again

4 AA's in a row.

To go with soon to be 2 BF's and a Norm Smith

Over a 4 year year period, he is the games number 1 player.

Has gotten even better and stepped up to a new level when his partner in crime the last 2 year winning AFLCA winner has been out injured (Oliver)

Come at me.....
I've seen more ridiculous calls on BigFooty.

He's the only player standing between Daicos and the Brownlow, though fortunately I think he only gets one vote tonight (behind Gawn and Daniher).

He's the only player standing between Daicos and the Brownlow, though fortunately I think he only gets one vote tonight (behind Gawn and Daniher).
Butters

Max 3 years wasn’t the best in 2020 but great footballer. Been saying for a while he is better than Pendles. X factor is immense.
Yeah arguably still not our best player, behind Oliver.

But tbf he rises to a new level in big games

Tbf I think Daicos is in front in the brownlow, and by a fair bit. Daicos' year has been ****ing phenomenal. Had been immense and possible Butters too. Both kids have been absolutely elite and killer this year.

But if you look over the last 4-5 years in judging the no 1 player I think it is a toss between Oliver, Bont & Trac. (I'm bias and would almost through Gawn in too, which probably shows how top heavy our team is)

But on pure big game impact, I think Ptracca is no 1, very closely followed by Bont

He's probably still in my team but Lachie Neale hasn't been imperious against the top teams this year.

Port Adelaide (away) - 20 disposals
Melbourne (home) - 27 disposals
Collingwood (home) - 22 disposals
Melbourne (away) - 19 disposals

Average = 22 disposals per game (compared to 28 per game season average)

Coaches votes: 0 times (assuming he receives none from last night)

Now disposals aren't everything but for Neale racking up tonnes of footy is his one wood as he's not the most damaging ball user. He had 9 clearances vs Melbourne which is plenty, but only 3 score involvements and at 47% disposal efficiency.

By comparison Bontempelli has received coaches votes 2 out of 4 times against top 4 sides, disposal average of 27 vs those sides, which is identical to his season average. A whopping 11 score involvements again this round - he's 9th in the league per game for this metric compared to 41st for Neale. Then 1.6 goals/assists combined for Bont vs 0.7 for Neale. That's why, despite having less disposals, clearances and coaches votes overall (still high in each) - Bontempelli would start in my side over Neale in the contested midfield bull role. Neale has filled his boots with disposals and coaches votes against the lesser sides and gone missing when it's been tougher this season, comparatively.

Last edited:
He's probably still in my team but Lachie Neale hasn't been imperious against the top teams this year.

Port Adelaide (away) - 20 disposals
Melbourne (home) - 27 disposals
Collingwood (home) - 22 disposals
Melbourne (away) - 19 disposals

Average = 22 disposals per game (compared to 28 per game season average)

Coaches votes: 0 times (assuming he receives none from last night)

Now disposals aren't everything but for Neale racking up tonnes of footy is his one wood as he's not the most damaging ball user. He had 9 clearances vs Melbourne which is plenty, but only 3 score involvements and at 47% disposal efficiency.

By comparison Bontempelli has received coaches votes 2 out of 4 times against top 4 sides, disposal average of 27 vs those sides, which is identical to his season average. A whopping 11 score involvements again this round - he's 9th in the league per game for this metric compared to 41st for Neale. Then 1.6 goals/assists combined for Bont vs 0.7 for Neale. That's why, despite having less disposals, clearances and coaches votes overall (still high in each) - Bontempelli would start in my side over Neale in the contested midfield bull role. Neale has filled his boots with disposals and coaches votes against the lesser sides and gone missing when it's been tougher this season, comparatively.

Look neale is a good player , he is better than Priddis but not much better

Killed us in that final , but was running around on his own when prestia got injured .

Well below the top tier

He was 4 weeks ago, though hasn't polled a vote since.
He is due for a burst. Dont be surprized if Rozee polls the higher votes between the two in some matches. Dont discount Rozee for the Brownlow

Curnow has dominated Allir, two posters as well so could've had 5 goals and an assist.

He's certainly got a key forward spot locked up now you'd think.

Rozee good again but Butters quiet - in danger of dropping out of the side unless he has a good finishing stretch.

Daicos brothers supreme again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aliir AA

Michael Jordan Lol GIF by ESPN

Houston & Rozee are still starting 18 worthy.

Butters would only make it to the bench at this stage and is starting to slip, but still in my team.

I also still think Allir is worthy of the AA 40. He was hardly our worst KPD tonight with old man Jonas running around like a headless chook.

Last edited:
Stewart seems to be a certainty for the squad whether he deserves it or not but behind Hawkins our most deserving squad inclusion IMO is another long haired blonde defender: Zac Guthrie has been awesome this year. Not saying he’s close to the AA team or anything but I think he’s been fantastic

B: Stewart Andrews Weitering
HB: Sinclair Moore Daicos
C: Gulden Neale Daicos
HF: Greene Walker Petracca
F: Cameron Curnow Hawkins
OB: English Bontompelli (C) Butters
IC: Rozee Merett Dawson Houston

B: Stewart Andrews Weitering
HB: Sinclair Moore Daicos
C: Gulden Neale Daicos
HF: Greene Walker Petracca
F: Cameron Curnow Hawkins
OB: English Bontompelli (C) Butters
IC: Rozee Merett Dawson Houston
Neale will be making way for N Daicos.
Frees up another half back position.
Sicily should also make it, despite missing a few games.

Neale will be making way for N Daicos.
Frees up another half back position.
Sicily should also make it, despite missing a few games.

Sicily has missed 4 games. That's to many unless your season is unbelievable. He was better last year despite a few massive games.

Like most years there are more mids competing for spits then half backs. They will take the easy option and pick Daicos at half back I suspect. No issue with that as he has played there plenty.

Stewart seems to be a certainty for the squad whether he deserves it or not but behind Hawkins our most deserving squad inclusion IMO is another long haired blonde defender: Zac Guthrie has been awesome this year. Not saying he’s close to the AA team or anything but I think he’s been fantastic
He's turned his form around over the past month and was great last night, but not in a million years. Was much more consistent last season and that still wasn't squad worthy.

Round 18 Update (will update tomorrow)

Excluding games against the 3 easiest teams to score against (WCE, Hawthorn and NM - sorted by %), the averages for the main tall forwards are:

Main contenders

Hawkins: 13 games, 34 goals (2.62 pg), 13 assists (1.00 pg) = 3.62 goal contributions per game
Walker: 13 games, 33 goals (2.54 pg), 8 assists (0.62 pg) = 3.16 goal contributions per game
Curnow: 13 games, 31 goals (2.38 pg), 8 assists (0.62 pg) = 3.00 goal contributions per game
Daniher: 13 games, 31 goals (2.38 pg), 7 assists (0.54 pg) = 2.92 goal contributions per game

Best of the rest

Naughton: 14 games, 27 goals (1.93 pg), 13 assists (0.93 pg) = 2.86 goal contributions per game
Cameron: 13 games, 29 goals (2.23 pg), 8 assists (0.62 pg) = 2.85 goal contributions per game
Larkey: 13 games, 33 goals (2.54 pg), 4 assists (0.31 pg) = 2.85 goal contributions per game
Allen: 14 games, 34 goals (2.43 pg), 4 assists (0.29 pg) = 2.72 goal contributions per game
Lewis: 9 games, 18 goals (2.00 pg), 6 assists (0.67 pg) = 2.67 goal contributions per game
Finlayson: 11 games, 18 goals (1.64 pg), 11 assists (1.00 pg) = 2.64 goal contributions per game
Jack Lukosius: 14 games, 26 goals (1.86 pg), 10 assists (0.71 pg) = 2.57 goal contributions per game
Hipwood: 13 games, 19 goals (1.46 pg), 12 assists (0.92 pg) = 2.38 goal contributions per game
Miochek: 12 games, 26 goals (2.17 pg), 2 assists (0.17 pg) = 2.34 goal contributions per game
Ben King: 13 games, 22 goals (1.69 pg), 4 assists (0.31 pg) = 2.00 goal contributions per game

Hawkins has barely deviated from his overall season average of 3.65 goals/assists per game against opponents outside of the 3 cellar dwellars. Walker's 3.16 drops from 3.81. Curnow's 3.00 drops from 3.71. Daniher sees a smaller drop from 3.12 to 2.92.

Using an identical approach for the 2022 H&A season Hawkins averaged 3.58 goals/assists per game - so he's certainly backing up his AA season thus far.

Curnow (2nd), Hawkins (5th) and Walker (8th) are all top 10 in the league for average score involvements as well, providing around 3 scoring shots per game for team mates on top of their own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back