Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Win the Coleman, get the FF position.

Heck, in the side he's playing in as a Forward, it would make the achievement of a Coleman even better.
That’s no true if your name is jack riewoldt

But if you name is jack hawkins you don’t need to do much at all and you still get an aa jumper and three mates from Geelong to share the Uber ride home

But if you name is jack hawkins you don’t need to do much at all and you still get an aa jumper and three mates from Geelong to share the Uber ride home
Still upset over 2012? It was the one Hawkins AA year where Riewoldt scored more combined goals/assists and it was close (85 for Riewoldt, 80 for Hawkins).

Over the 5 home and away seasons where Hawkins was selected, he contributed 375 goals/assists compared to Riewoldt's 264. That's right, 111 extra goals or 22 per season on average. Only in 2021 was it even remotely close from the 4 Hawkins AA years where he contributed more.

Still upset over 2012? It was the one Hawkins AA year where Riewoldt scored more combined goals/assists and it was close (85 for Riewoldt, 80 for Hawkins).

Over the 5 home and away seasons where Hawkins was selected, he contributed 375 goals/assists compared to Riewoldt's 264. That's right, 111 extra goals or 22 per season on average. Only in 2021 was it even remotely close from the 4 Hawkins AA years where he contributed more.

What have other years got to do with 2012?

You just said jack was better that year, got robbed either from the Richmond tax or Cats AA favouritism.

And don’t act like you wouldn’t be spewing if it was the other way around mate.

What have other years got to do with 2012?

You just said jack was better that year, got robbed either from the Richmond tax or Cats AA favouritism.

And don’t act like you wouldn’t be spewing if it was the other way around mate.
He said that Hawkins can get AA doing nothing. 80 goals/assists that year is hardly nothing, and every other AA year he belted Jack on those numbers. Sometimes it's just a matter of sucking it up. And honestly I wouldn't care at all if Riewoldt had a guernsey in 2012 or even 2021. The persecution complex on these matters only really flows one way.

There's such a massive chip on your shoulders about the most inane matters. Even after a period of success, I guess it's hard to shake old habits.

He said that Hawkins can get AA doing nothing. 80 goals/assists that year is hardly nothing, and every other AA year he belted Jack on those numbers. Sometimes it's just a matter of sucking it up. And honestly I wouldn't care at all if Riewoldt had a guernsey in 2012 or even 2021. The persecution complex on these matters only really flows one way.

There's such a massive chip on your shoulders about the most inane matters. Even after a period of success, I guess it's hard to shake old habits.

Missing out on an AA when you get the Coleman is not inane.

Judging from the way you complain about Dustys “robbed” NS and Brownlow you’d be saying the exact same stuff as us if the shoe was on the other foot. It’s not just one way.

Missing out on an AA when you get the Coleman is not inane.

Judging from the way you complain about Dustys “robbed” NS and Brownlow you’d be saying the exact same stuff as us if the shoe was on the other foot. It’s not just one way.
The comment about Hawkins getting in for doing nothing is quite obviously deluded. Look at the 2012 team. Dean Cox was in a forward pocket for crying out loud. They've since added 3 key forwards when justified. Hawkins is probably only behind Franklin from key forwards still playing for B&F votes, Brownlow votes, coaches votes and Ayres votes as a collective. He's quite obviously deserved recognition.

Dusty's Brownlow was well deserved and only one NS I thought could've gone to Houli but it's not an upsetting issue - btw. Stop making every single thread about him.

The comment about Hawkins getting in for doing nothing is quite obviously deluded. Look at the 2012 team. Dean Cox was in a forward pocket for crying out loud. They've since added 3 key forwards when justified. Hawkins is probably only behind Franklin from key forwards still playing for B&F votes, Brownlow votes, coaches votes and Ayres votes as a collective. He's quite obviously deserved recognition.

Dusty's Brownlow was well deserved and only one NS I thought could've gone to Houli but it's not an upsetting issue - btw. Stop making every single thread about him.
cox kicked 28 goals sharing the forward pocket/ruck with Nic Nat who kicked 24. They were both deserving.

Matty Pavlich got screwed over in 2012 worse than Jack Riewoldt.

They butchered the 2012 AA side. Franklin played only 16 games and his 59 goals was padded by an outlier 13 against North Melbourne. He should not have made the side, and Cox should have been on the bench if he wasn’t the #1 ruck. Pavlich was the best forward in the game that year, and Riewoldt was probably stiff to miss too.

cox kicked 28 goals sharing the forward pocket/ruck with Nic Nat who kicked 24. They were both deserving.

Matty Pavlich got screwed over in 2012 worse than Jack Riewoldt.

Mitchell probably got it the worst. Won the Brownlow and didn’t get in.

That whole 2012 AA team was cooked. No Coleman or one of the 2 Brownlow medallist’s in it. Has that even happened before?

Seems as though he gets it for living in your head as much as anything.

Either that, or being the second best key forward of the last decade.

Well earned at any rate.

Funny how a noted Tigers nuff is still giving it the biggen 12 seasons later but was probably perfectly fine with 2018 when Jack made it with:
65 goals in 22 games, 17 goal assists

Hawkins played 2 less games, kicked 58 goals and dished off another 24. Same goals contributed in two less matches. You could easily make the same argument for that year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how a noted Tigers nuff is still giving it the biggen 12 seasons later but was probably perfectly fine with 2018 when Jack made it with:
65 goals in 22 games, 17 goal assists

Hawkins played 2 less games, kicked 58 goals and dished off another 24. Same goals contributed in two less matches. You could easily make the same argument for that year.

He won the Coleman medal in 2018 mate. Did you seriously want him to win the Coleman medal twice and not get in the AA team both times for Hawkins? But yeah we are biased.

He won the Coleman medal in 2018 mate. Did you seriously want him to win the Coleman medal twice and not get in the AA team both times for Hawkins? But yeah we are biased.

No I don’t. I don’t have a problem with it. I don’t think I Coleman should make you an automatic selection but nor do I have any issue at all with Riewoldt making that team - if Hawkins deserved it over anyone it would probably have been Franklin who’s per game numbers were similar again but a bit lower and who missed 4 games.

Riewoldt also kicked 42 from 18 games when you remove the 10, 5, 5 and 4 he kicked in four matches against the Suns, Blues, Saints and Dogs who all finished in the bottom 6. Hawkins ‘fattened his wallet’ to the tune of 11 goals in 5 games against the same teams. Again I have no problem with this: Hawkins bagged 7 against the Lions who were 5th from the bottom so he had his fun as well - but it’s the exact sort of clueless argument the person I quoted loves to make.

I think it’s hilarious that a noted teeth-gnasher is still moaning about it years later and just ignores when similar situations occur with other players.

No I don’t. I don’t have a problem with it. I don’t think I Coleman should make you an automatic selection but nor do I have any issue at all with Riewoldt making that team - if Hawkins deserved it over anyone it would probably have been Franklin who’s per game numbers were similar again but a bit lower and who missed 4 games.

Riewoldt also kicked 42 from 18 games when you remove the 10, 5, 5 and 4 he kicked in four matches against the Suns, Blues, Saints and Dogs who all finished in the bottom 6. Hawkins ‘fattened his wallet’ to the tune of 11 goals in 5 games against the same teams. Again I have no problem with this: Hawkins bagged 7 against the Lions who were 5th from the bottom so he had his fun as well - but it’s the exact sort of clueless argument the person I quoted loves to make.

I think it’s hilarious that a noted teeth-gnasher is still moaning about it years later and just ignores when similar situations occur with other players.

I would defend it if it was Hawkins on the receiving end. Of course it happens but Coleman medalists is crossing the line imo. Your just not used to it cause it doesn’t happen to Geelong.

I would defend it if it was Hawkins on the receiving end. Of course it happens but Coleman medalists is crossing the line imo. Your just not used to it cause it doesn’t happen to Geelong.

We’ve only had one Coleman medalist since Gary Ablett and the one time we did have one he was unquestionably the best key forward in the competition with or without the medal; only one other forward even managed to average 2 (Kennedy who kicked 2 goals exactly per game) while Hawkins kicked 42 and dished off another 20 in 17 games with reduced quarters.
So if it happened that season yeah I would think it’s fairly abnormal as he was head and shoulders above everyone.

There’s other seasons when it’s less clear cut and obviously the guy with the most goals is going to be in the box seat to make the team but if it’s close, and the guy behind him is doing other stuff around the ground then I don’t see a major issue with them taking that into account either.

Ben Brown never made an AA team despite 3 straight years of kicking 60 goals in a mediocre side. No Coleman’s - Cameron’s 9 in the final round in 2019(?) saw to that - but he was very prolific nonetheless. But his lack of impact in other areas saw him miss out. He didn’t offer much aside from goals barring 2018 where he seemed to have a bit more to offer the rest of the forward line

The actual AA team possibly. No chance in the Bigfooty soccer mums AA team
Missed 4 games, been average in a few. Not kicked enough goals to be a forward, no where near the half-dozen mids. Not anywhere near it tbh. Maybe a big backend to get into the squad at most. People are taking Neale out of their sides here and debating whether he should be in, let alone De Goey. It's cut throat in the middle.

Missed 4 games, been average in a few. Not kicked enough goals to be a forward, no where near the half-dozen mids. Not anywhere near it tbh. Maybe a big backend to get into the squad at most. People are taking Neale out of their sides here and debating whether he should be in, let alone De Goey. It's cut throat in the middle.
Yeah more than likely

Jesse Hogan will not make the team but should be considered for the squad, he has been very consistent and I am a big fan which I thought I’d never say.

Jesse Hogan will not make the team but should be considered for the squad, he has been very consistent and I am a big fan which I thought I’d never say.
You're not wrong. I felt he was a bit fake when he was at Melbourne, did little better at Freo but he's become an effective and even threatening player. Good on him and love to see him rewarded.

They butchered the 2012 AA side. Franklin played only 16 games and his 59 goals was padded by an outlier 13 against North Melbourne. He should not have made the side, and Cox should have been on the bench if he wasn’t the #1 ruck. Pavlich was the best forward in the game that year, and Riewoldt was probably stiff to miss too.

Sam Mitchell somehow missed as well.

Was an absolute joke of a team.

Jumping Jack Hawkins was a damn fine player but wasn't gifted any All Australian jumpers.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back