Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

We can probably move "is James Sicily the most influential player in the comp" and "James Sicily should have been in the 2022 AA squad over Tom Stewart" to their own threads. I don't think maybe would argue he shouldn't be in this year. He's also having a better year than he did last year.
I disagree. He had a better year last year. His good games are better this year but he was more consistent last year

A
2019​
22​
98.2​
2020​
14​
100.1​
2021​
20​
107.6​
2022​
17​
109.7​
2023​
19​
114.7​

B
2018​
14​
105.1​
2019​
22​
93.8​
2020​
11​
102.9​
2022​
22​
113.5​
2023​
16​
116.1​

Total Supercoach scores table A 530.3
Total Supercoach scores table B 531.4

One players has four AA's, the other has zero

A
2019​
22​
98.2​
2020​
14​
100.1​
2021​
20​
107.6​
2022​
17​
109.7​
2023​
19​
114.7​

B
2018​
14​
105.1​
2019​
22​
93.8​
2020​
11​
102.9​
2022​
22​
113.5​
2023​
16​
116.1​

Total Supercoach scores table A 530.3
Total Supercoach scores table B 531.4

One players has four AA's, the other has zero
Supercoach scores are irrelevant to measuring anything apart from who wins in supercoach.

He was injured 5 minutes into round 2 after getting coaches votes in round one when he dominated English.
English leads the following over Gawn: Disposals, Marks, Intercept marks, goals, score involvements, hit outs, hit outs to advantage.

It shouldn't be an argument. His last 4 games have been prime Max, his season hasn't

English leads the following over Gawn: Disposals, Marks, Intercept marks, goals, score involvements, hit outs, hit outs to advantage.

It shouldn't be an argument. His last 4 games have been prime Max, his season hasn't
I don't have Gawn in.

I was correcting your factually incorrect statement where you said, ''He was half the player for the first part of the season then missed games''.

He ''missed games'' from round 2 after getting coaches votes in round one.

You do do comprehension ?

Ok clearly didn’t affect you. Tom Stewart actually defends and spoils as well as rebounds though so maybe he has slightly less possesions but I’m taking Stewart every day of the week.

Last year was an amazing year by Stewart he was the general of a premiership side and organised our whole defence and set up our style of play.

Stewart’s an outstanding player. But in 2022 he missed 5 games and was out early in two others. I don’t believe anyone should make the team if missing effectively 7 games of football. IMO it’s disrespectful to way too many other players who had outstanding years and played close to full seasons. Stewart finished 9th in Geelong’s B&F. Sicily won Hawthorns and had a brilliant year in 2022. Just pick Sicily over Stewart and not a single person would’ve batted an eyelid, even Cat supporters wouldn’t have cared given how much footy he missed … it’s like selectors deliberately make a controversy to give everyone something to talk about.

It’s like this year if Sam Taylor makes the team after missing 7-games - ask anyone, do you want let’s say Harris Andrews for 23-games, or Sam Taylor for 16?

It’s a reward for performance over a season … I’m happy if someone misses maybe 3-4 games (especially now there’s 23), but missing 6+ and getting in the team is a joke IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No he did not have shockers. You're assuming he had shockers because you're not looking out for him. Weitering had shockers and that's why I am not throwing his name yet (keep up what he's produced for the next 3 weeks and I will), however there's been two constants for Carlton all year that they have been Cerra and Newman.

You watch them closer than me and that’s fair enough. But I’ve seen enough to have him behind Houston, Naicos, Sinclair and Stewart. Do you have him ahead of any of those 4 for a half back position?

Also must remember that not only did Stewart miss quite a few games, he was tagged out of a couple, subbed off one as well. I actually don't think there is a single argument where Stewart was in last year over Sicily. I seriously mean it when I say it's the worse selection I can remember.

Sicily had to be in the team in 2022. It doesn’t matter who had to come out …. Take out a bench player and put Stewart on bench and then put Sicily in if you want ..?? Or put Sicily onto bench. It really doesn’t matter how he got into the team. I agree that his omission is the worst AA selection error I can remember - and I’m a Tigers supporter with no affection for Sicily, I can assure you.

Stewart averages more metres gained than Petracca...

This is not a Stewart criticism, but metres gained stats are completely irrelevant for any player who takes kick outs … run 15m and kick 55m a few times a game = 210m. It’s no surprise these 13 x ‘kick out’ players are top-22 in average metres gained 2022:

Ryan
Rich
Smith
Short
Stewart
Weller
Atkins
Young
Dale
Daicos
Redman
Sicily
Houston

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn’t tak
This is not a Stewart criticism, but metres gained stats are completely irrelevant for any player who takes kick outs … run 15m and kick 55m a few times a game = 210m. It’s no surprise these 13 x ‘kick out’ players are top-22 in average metres gained 2022:

Ryan
Rich
Smith
Short
Stewart
Weller
Atkins
Young
Dale
Daicos
Redman
Sicily
Houston

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.c
He doesn’t take many l”kick outs though.

Ryan
Rich
Smith
Short
Stewart
Weller
Atkins
Young
Dale
Daicos
Redman
Sicily
Houston

But he's not kicking sideways there either right?

Stewart’s an outstanding player. But in 2022 he missed 5 games and was out early in two others. I don’t believe anyone should make the team if missing effectively 7 games of football. IMO it’s disrespectful to way too many other players who had outstanding years and played close to full seasons. Stewart finished 9th in Geelong’s B&F. Sicily won Hawthorns and had a brilliant year in 2022. Just pick Sicily over Stewart and not a single person would’ve batted an eyelid, even Cat supporters wouldn’t have cared given how much footy he missed … it’s like selectors deliberately make a controversy to give everyone something to talk about.

It’s like this year if Sam Taylor makes the team after missing 7-games - ask anyone, do you want let’s say Harris Andrews for 23-games, or Sam Taylor for 16?

It’s a reward for performance over a season … I’m happy if someone misses maybe 3-4 games (especially now there’s 23), but missing 6+ and getting in the team is a joke IMO.

If I was picking a best 22 right now, I'd have Sam Taylor as one of my first picked, well before Andrews.

Houston ______ Sicily
N Daicos Moore Sinclair
Gulden Bont J Daicos
Petracca Walker Greene
_____ Curnow _____
English Butters Dawson
Merrett Libba Rozzee _____

For me all of those are already in, blazer made. Full back out of Taylor, Andrews, Wilkie or possibly stewart and sicily goes key. Small forward is a crap shoot, would have langford near on locked, and still think charlie cameron makes it. Then your last bench spot could be anyone.
Best one yet.

I'd tinker with it a little.

Houston Weitering Sicily
N Daicos Moore Sinclair
Gulden Bont Anderson
Petracca Walker Rozee
Langford Curnow Greene
English Butters Dawson
Merrett Libba RMarshall DRioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad