Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Including AA selectors. Which is why it's more of a popularity contest than a proper who's best 22.

I have no doubt if there was an AFL World Cup, the last four or five years, Sicily would be one of the first picked by the coach.

It's become more and more exactly that. Which is why the footy media's personal favourites always get picked years after they actually warrant it.

Then the same commentators endlessly recycle "well he's a 6/7/8 time All-Australian" like that achievement alone trumps everything else. Completely circular and self-serving.

Probably because its not basketball where Jordan or Bryant can win off their own back.

18 players on a giant field mean even GAS can fail to win the 1989 Grand Final on his own.

Right ?

No single individual has "won" games of footy for decades. The top teams year after year routinely can lose a start player or two or three and just keep winning.

No single individual has "won" games of footy for decades. The top teams year after year routinely can lose a start player or two or three and just keep winning.
There is a singular supporter base that strictly does not believe this, whose side recently won 3 flags.

But the fact they are insane consolidates your opinion as fact.

There is a singular supporter base that strictly does not believe this, whose side recently won 3 flags.

But the fact they are insane consolidates your opinion as fact.

Ahh yes, the newly-minted GOAT who is that far behind the two actual ATG players of this century that it's fair and right to accuse supporters of that particular team of being morons.

I have trouble keeping up with Geelong obsessions. Are you referring to Richmond or Hawthorn fans here? I can't think of another club who fits the "recently won 3 flags" description (and barely Hawthorn to be honest), although I've seen Geelong fans try to include themselves in this group in recent times.

We can probably move "is James Sicily the most influential player in the comp" and "James Sicily should have been in the 2022 AA squad over Tom Stewart" to their own threads. I don't think maybe would argue he shouldn't be in this year. He's also having a better year than he did last year.

Last edited:
Both Stewart and Sicily get a hell of a lot of meaningless cheap ball though. Let's be honest. Both read the ball and all of that jazz but their numbers are incredibly misleading. The majority of their touches are uncontested sideways chip kicks etc.

Both Stewart and Sicily get a hell of a lot of meaningless cheap ball though. Let's be honest. Both read the ball and all of that jazz but their numbers are incredibly misleading. The majority of their touches are uncontested sideways chip kicks etc.
Stewart averages more metres gained than Petracca...

So what do you want them to do?

Kick long to a contest and immediately turn the ball over?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t think too many children are going to be called Daniel in the coming years.#VICBIAS

Balta Ryan Sicily
Stewart Ballard McGrath
Merrett Dawson Gulden
Miers Hawkins Bolton
Langford Walker Martin
Witts Serong Anderson
Jackson Breust Taranto Laird
Couldn't sneak a spot for the team thats been on top for the whole year.....scrape arguably the best player this year on the bench? Or has McGrath been better

Probably because its not basketball where Jordan or Bryant can win off their own back.

18 players on a giant field mean even GAS can fail to win the 1989 Grand Final on his own.

Right ?

Not sure this is the argument you think it is. If it was, Sicily and co. would be playing off in a Grand Final this year...

This is coming from someone who thinks Sic is a lock for AA, as well.

...so you're saying the 7th best metres gained player in the league kicks it sideways mostly? Or are you just talking to yourself?
Using my amazing maths skills (and a calculator). Tom Stewart averages 23 metres gained per disposal vs Sicily with 17. What does this mean? I honestly don't care.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back