Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

It'll be like 2015 for Richmond fans when Martin had a 25 & 1 season missed out on a AA selection as teammate Deledio got slected on the bench in the AA team as that Fwd-Mid with season averages on 21 & 1.5 in 17 games.

Deledio was the bigger name at the time though. and the HFF were Wingard and Rioli. Wingard had 53 goals 20 assits and averaged 19 disposals per game. Rioli had 35 goals and 21 assists in the H/A season as well as doing classic "Cyril things."

If they go for fwd-mid on the bench, it's more likley to be Bolton with 29 goals 19 assists and averaging 22 disposals per game.

Last edited:
It'll be like 2015 for Richmond fans when Martin had a 25 & 1 season missed out on a AA selection as teammate Deledio got slected on the bench in the AA team as that Fwd-Mid with season averages on 21 & 1.5 in 17 games.

Deledio was the bigger name at the time though. and the HFF were Wingard and Rioli. Wingard had 53 goals 20 assits and averaged 19 disposals per game. Rioli had 35 goals and 21 assists in the H/A season as well as doing classic "Cyril things."

If they go for fwd-mid on the bench, it's more likley to be Bolton with 29 goals 19 assists and averaging 22 disposals per game.
I'm honestly struggling to work out who has had a better season out of Dustin Martin or Shai Bolton & I watch my team every week.
I would say Bolton has won us more close games, but Dusty has been more consistent in my opinion. Shai's quiet games have been pretty obvious but it's still close.

I'm honestly struggling to work out who has had a better season out of Dustin Martin or Shai Bolton & I watch my team every week.
I would say Bolton has won us more close games, but Dusty has been more consistent in my opinion. Shai's quiet games have been pretty obvious but it's still close.
The coaches and neutrals say Bolton.

10 extra goals/assists is significant. 1 extra disposal per game doesn't account for that, especially when Martin has missed 3 games and Bolton has missed none Bolton probably still misses out, but he has a better case to everyone but Hoyne and Martin fanatics.

Martin's season would be stronger if he was averaging 20 disposals with 55 goals/assists rather than 23 disposals per game and 38 goals/assists.

An extra goal a game and Richmond would be in 7th place, finals bound. If he gets in ahead of a prolific goal kicker something has gone wrong, and the midfielder(s) picked on the flank (e.g Petracca and Rozee) are walk-up selections.

If Nick Daicos is getting an All Australian spot then Zac Fisher should be considered.

Doing the exact same thing sitting on half back racking up 30+ uncontested touches a game.

If Nick Daicos is getting an All Australian spot then Zac Fisher should be considered.

Doing the exact same thing sitting on half back racking up 30+ uncontested touches a game.
I'll bite.

This is dumb, you are dumb.
Carlton supporters have lost the plot this last 9 weeks. They were ready to burn the place down before that.

Stop

You think we're bad now?

Just wait a month.

Bigfooty will be unberable.
God I hope you lot crash out round 1 ala Richmond 2014. It would be glorious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you posted a team in here? You can't just make a call on one player outside of looking at anyone else or where they would fit in a team.
Probably:

Martin - Balta - Martin
Martin - Vlaustin - Martin
Martin - Martin - Martin
Bolton - Martin - Bolton
Martin - Riewoldt - Martin
Nankervis - Martin - Martin
Martin - Martin - Bolton - Bolton

Have you posted a team in here? You can't just make a call on one player outside of looking at anyone else or where they would fit in a team.
This is blaisee's entire posting history, although at times Taranto, Bolton and Balta have been sprinkled in. The rest are all rants, particularly about Geelong players.

But yes at the very least you have to put your team out and give a reason why player x makes it instead of players y and z.

Martin is the fourth-highest rated forward under Champion’s 100X ratings system, behind Curnow, Toby Greene and Taylor Walker. He ranks first among all forwards for disposals – averaging 23.1 per game – contested possessions and forward-50 ground ball gets, and fifth for score involvements.

This is what Daniel Hoyne wrote.
Daniel Hoyne spent the first 3 or 4 months of the season telling SEN listeners how Brent Daniels from GWS was the AFL's most elite small/med forward, Essendon's Nic Martin was the AFL's best wingman and Brodie Grundy was the AFL's number one ruckman. His stats and ratings seem to produce some questionable findings.

I don't doubt Dustin Martin's ability to win contests or find the ball; and making things happen when he gets it. He's now the wrong side of 30 and he has slipped a cog or two, but he's still all class.

The query I'd have regarding Dusty's All Australian credentials as a forward is the lack of goals and the lack of chasing & tackling to lock the ball inside fifty. These are key stats for small/med forwards and Dusty doesn't rank highly in either.

Goals - med forwards

56 Toby Greene
51 Charlie Cameron
50 Kyle Langford
45 Luke Breust
38 Oliver Henry
37 Tom Papley
36 Jamie Elliott, Izak Rankine
35 Jack Higgins
33 Kysaiah Pickett
32 Lachie Schultz, Dan Butler, Cody Weightman
31 Michael Walters
30 Isaac Heeney
29 Bayley Fritsch, Shai Bolton
27 Sam Powell-Pepper
26 Michael Frederick, Jaidyn Stephenson, Zak Bailey
25 Willie Rioli, Tyson Stengle, Luke Pedlar
24 Dustin Martin, Bobby Hill, Will Hayward, Kade Chandler

Tackles - Med Forwards

(I've highlighted players who've kicked > 24 goals)

97 Alex Neal-Bullen
92 Dan Butler
90 Isaac Heeney
88 Lachie Schultz
86 Dylan Moore
86 Beau McCreery
84 Nick Holman

82 Kysaiah Pickett, Sam Switkowski
81 Toby Bedford
73 Sam Powell-Pepper
72 Jack Graham
68 Charlie Cameron, Josh Rachele
66 Shai Bolton, Archie Perkins
64 Gryan Miers

63 Izak Rankine, Will Hayward, Lachlan Murphy, Jade Gresham
62 Darcy Byrne-Jones
61 Lincoln McCarthy

60 Zak Bailey
59 Daniel Lloyd
58 Jamie Elliott
57 Brad Close
56 Toby Greene, Kade Chandler
53 Mattaes Phillipou, Jack Petruccelle
52 Luke Pedlar
51 Cam Rayner, Jake Stringer
50 Connor Macdonald
49 Jed McEntee, Bailey Humphrey
48 Brent Daniels
47 Jesse Motlop, Noah Long
46 Will Snelling
46 Paul Curtis, Jye Menzie

44 Bobby Hill
43 Rhyan Mansell
42 Luke Breust, Jaidyn Stephenson
41 Cody Weightman
40 Malcolm Rosas
40 Tyson Stengle, Tom Papley, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Xavier O'Halloran
38 Jack Higgins
37 Cameron Zurhaar
36 Matt Guelfi, Cam Mackenzie, Ben Ainsworth

35 Willie Rioli, Kyle Langford, Matthew Owies, Arthur Jones, Gary Rohan, Tyler Brockman
32 Dustin Martin, Michael Walters

Last edited:
Daniel Hoyne spent the first 3 or 4 months of the season telling SEN listeners how Brent Daniels from GWS was the AFL's most elite small/med forward, Essendon's Nic Martin was the AFL's best wingman and Brodie Grundy was the AFL's number one ruckman. His stats and ratings seem to produce some questionable findings.

I don't doubt Dustin Martin's ability to win contests or find the ball; and making things happen when he gets it. He's now the wrong side of 30 and he has slipped a cog or two, but he's still all class.

The query I'd have regarding Dusty's All Australian credentials as a forward is the lack of goals and the lack of chasing & tackling to lock the ball inside fifty. These are key stats for small/med forwards and Dusty doesn't rank highly in either.

Goals - med forwards

56 Toby Greene
51 Charlie Cameron
50 Kyle Langford
45 Luke Breust
38 Oliver Henry
37 Tom Papley
36 Jamie Elliott, Izak Rankine
35 Jack Higgins
33 Kysaiah Pickett
32 Lachie Schultz, Dan Butler, Cody Weightman
31 Michael Walters
30 Isaac Heeney
29 Bayley Fritsch
27 Sam Powell-Pepper
26 Michael Frederick, Jaidyn Stephenson
25 Willie Rioli, Tyson Stengle, Luke Pedlar
24 Dustin Martin, Bobby Hill, Will Hayward, Kade Chandler

Tackles - Med Forwards

(I've highlighted players who've kicked > 24 goals)

97 Alex Neal-Bullen
92 Dan Butler
90 Isaac Heeney
88 Lachie Schultz
86 Dylan Moore
86 Beau McCreery
84 Nick Holman

82 Kysaiah Pickett, Sam Switkowski
81 Toby Bedford
73 Sam Powell-Pepper
72 Jack Graham
68 Charlie Cameron, Josh Rachele
66 Archie Perkins
64 Gryan Miers

63 Izak Rankine, Will Hayward, Lachlan Murphy, Jade Gresham
62 Darcy Byrne-Jones
61 Lincoln McCarthy
59 Daniel Lloyd

58 Jamie Elliott
57 Brad Close
56 Toby Greene, Kade Chandler
53 Mattaes Phillipou, Jack Petruccelle
52 Luke Pedlar
51 Cam Rayner, Jake Stringer
50 Connor Macdonald
49 Jed McEntee, Bailey Humphrey
48 Brent Daniels
47 Jesse Motlop, Noah Long
46 Will Snelling
46 Paul Curtis, Jye Menzie

44 Bobby Hill
43 Rhyan Mansell
42 Luke Breust, Jaidyn Stephenson
41 Cody Weightman
40 Malcolm Rosas
40 Tyson Stengle, Tom Papley, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Xavier O'Halloran
38 Jack Higgins
37 Cameron Zurhaar
36 Matt Guelfi, Cam Mackenzie, Ben Ainsworth

35 Willie Rioli, Kyle Langford, Matthew Owies, Arthur Jones, Gary Rohan, Tyler Brockman
32 Dustin Martin, Michael Walters
Dusty's not in the team to chase, tackle or kick goals, he's there to be Dustin Martin. What's hard to understand about that?

They should put dusty in a forward pocket and. Pick a team around him .

The same way Richmond do

He is the best one on one llayer in the league and no one has done what he has done this year

Could not care who else makes the team , dusty has to be in

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back