Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder when the last time a midfielder or forward made the AA team without fulfilling at least one of these criteria:

-Top 20 for coaches votes
-Top 30 for goals
-Top 30 for goal assists

Surely you have to tick off one of these at a bare minimum.

go through the geelong players that made it since 2000

You will find a dozen

If Weitering concedes zero this week to go along with his latest 22 games and Taylor concedes 3-4 from Curnow this weekend then I think Weitering deserves it ahead of him. Taylor’s last month hasn’t been great and he’s also missed too many games.

If Weitering concedes zero this week to go along with his latest 22 games and Taylor concedes 3-4 from Curnow this weekend then I think Weitering deserves it ahead of him. Taylor’s last month hasn’t been great and he’s also missed too many games.
Conceding goals is an interesting stat in that I saw Jacob Van Rooyan take marks against Weitering a few weeks ago and miss 2 easy shots at goal. So if he ends up conceding none, the zero is a bit misleading. There needs to be a bit of nuance in these stats. Also some concede goals due to dubious free kicks etc.

Conceding goals is an interesting stat in that I saw Jacob Van Rooyan take marks against Weitering a few weeks ago and miss 2 easy shots at goal. So if he ends up conceding none, the zero is a bit misleading. There needs to be a bit of nuance in these stats. Also some concede goals due to dubious free kicks etc.
I suppose I should have said conceding contests. Because Weitering has completely blanketed his opponents all year.

I'm picking Rozee on current form, been better in a better side. But it's who's had the better season. Langford has kicked 50 goals, and played a few games at half back. So yes, I am for real, he has been comfortably one of the best mid sized forwards this year.
Remove one of. He's the best.

Should be AA those are insane stats 1v1 hardly gets beaten.

View attachment 1784435

And kicked a massive 24 goals and 14 assists. 38 combined. 20 players in the league have kicked 38 goals or more without assists. Martin is nowhere near the team. 16 of his goals are against teams outside the 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rozee has played every single game and been decisive in many of Port's close ones. He's top 10 in the coaches votes and especially for scoring metrics, totals rather than averages are the bread and butter of forwards picked in the AA side - Rozee has a few more score involvements, Martin has 4 more goals/assists. Rozee does it as a starting stoppage midfielder and that's why he gets in the best players most weeks. He has more than twice as many coaches votes as Martin.

eth-dog has a nice goal/assist table that should help you for the prolific forwards this season.

Rozee and Petracca as the mids in contention for the flanks are streets ahead.
Don't mention that table to him. It gives him nightmares because it accurately predicts the AA forwards the vast majority of the time. Which goes against his rants.

Score involvements rofl. He could have had a handball 5 links down the chain. 16 of his 24 golas have been against teams out of the 8. No impact on games.
But he hasn't had 5 handball links down the chain most of the ball he is getting is in the forward half. no impact on games okay your trolling...

Not sure any tigers players make it tbh. Taranto has had an average month but is still averaging 29 disposals and a goal a game. He's a 50/50 chance bit you jist know Kane will do hus best to have him overlooked.

Don't reckon Dusty makes it.

But he hasn't had 5 handball links down the chain most of the ball he is getting is in the forward half. no impact on games okay your trolling...

The second someone argues against Dusty using statistics, Tigers fans immediately label it as trolling because they disagree. No I am not trolling I am presenting facts. And if he gets so much of the ball forward, why does he only have 24 goals and 14 assists?

5th for score involvements would say he is having a big impact on games.
he's 14th for score involvements

Sitting comfortably behind players like Gryan Miers, Kyle Langford, Stephen Coniglio and Taylor Walker - who I assume you are also campaigning to make the AA team this year?

The second someone argues against Dusty using statistics, Tigers fans immediately label it as trolling because they disagree. No I am not trolling I am presenting facts. And if he gets so much of the ball forward, why does he only have 24 goals and 14 assists?

Stats? He’s averaging:

23 touches, 1.3 goals, 7.5 score involvements, 9.5 contested possessions and 2.7 clearances per game and involved in 31% of Richmond’s scores.

Rozee who’s considered a lock and is playing in a top-4 team averages:

25.7 touches, 0.9 goals, 6.8 score involvements, 8.4 contested possessions and 3.7 clearances and involved in 26% of Port’s scores.

So maybe best not to use stats to argue against Martin’s credentials for AA given Martin’s done it playing for a team in 12th.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is Josh Daicos a lock?

Stats? He’s averaging:

23 touches, 1.3 goals, 7.5 score involvements, 9.5 contested possessions and 2.7 clearances per game and involved in 31% of Richmond’s scores.

Rozee who’s considered a lock and is playing in a top-4 team averages:

25.7 touches, 0.9 goals, 6.8 score involvements, 8.4 contested possessions and 3.7 clearances and involved in 26% of Port’s scores.

So maybe best not to use stats to argue against Martin’s credentials for AA given Martin’s done it playing for a team in 12th.

As usual Martin fans pick and choose the stats they like. The simple fact is Martin has had no influence on games. To kick only 24 goals and have only 14 assists when he has spent so much time forward is a really poor return. Only 8 goals have been kicked against the top 8 teams and 4 of those were junk time goals. So maybe it is best to use stats.

As usual Martin fans pick and choose the stats they like. The simple fact is Martin has had no influence on games. To kick only 24 goals and have only 14 assists when he has spent so much time forward is a really poor return. Only 8 goals have been kicked against the top 8 teams and 4 of those were junk time goals. So maybe it is best to use stats.

Martin games v top-7 teams and bottom-11 (as who knows if GWS or Dogs will make finals, so I’ll include both as bottom-11 then we can do final numbers after next week:

Top-7 v the rest:

Disposals: 23.63 v 22.73
Goals: 1.0 v 1.45
GA: 0.75 v 0.73
I50’s: 5.75 v 4.27
Clearances: 3.25 v 2.45
Player ratings: 13.7 v 13.4

So less goals against top-7, which is probably not surprising as they have the best defences ….but superior in every other category.

Example : Curnow has 52 goals against bottom-10 at 4.3 goals per game and 23 goals against top-8 at 2.3 per game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back