Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

True on the selectors.
I reckon langford has got himself in the spotlight a bit though

My gauge is who Darcy is fawning over. So a good chance for Langers. Though dusty is dusty

Yep, how that bloke is a selector is beyond me. I just hope for once they pick players in positions. Last year they did well, until they put Mills on a wing! I love Callum but who on earth was he not just picked on a bench with Daicos picked or McCluggage.

B: Sicily Andrews Stewart
HB: Daicos Moore Sinclair
C: Gulden Bontempelli Daicos
HF: Rozee Curnow Butters
F: Greene Walker Petracca
Foll: English Liberatore Dawson
Int: Houston Merrett Neale Taylor

No change.
Squad of 40:

Adelaide: Dawson, Walker
Brisbane: Neale, Dunkley, Andrews, Cameron
Carlton: Curnow, Weitering, Cerra
Collingwood: Moore, Daicos, Daicos, Quaynor
Essendon: Merrett, Langford
Fremantle: Serong
Geelong: Stewart, Miers
Gold Coast: Anderson, Ballard
GWS: Greene, Green, Taylor
Hawthorn: Sicily
Melbourne: Petracca, Gawn
North Melbourne: Sheezal, Larkey
Port Adelaide: Butters, Rozee, Houston
Richmond: Taranto, Martin
St Kilda: Wilkie, Sinclair, Marshall
Sydney: Gulden
West Coast: N/A
Western Bulldogs: Bontempelli, Liberatore, English

B: Sicily Andrews Stewart
HB: Daicos Moore Sinclair
C: Gulden Bontempelli (C) Daicos
HF: Rozee Curnow Petracca
F: Greene (VC) Walker Larkey
Foll: English Liberatore Butters
Int: Dawson Houston Merrett Neale

In: Larkey
Out: Taylor.

James Sicily v Tom Stewart 2022:

Sicily 130 more disposals
65 more marks
50 more contested possessions
24 more contested marks
90 more one percenters
4,500 more metres gained
25 more intercepts
80 more rebound 50’s
55 coaches votes to 38

So of course if you want to analyse ‘totals’ then players who’ve missed a few games would never get selected. But this isn’t what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No one can defend the decision last year.

it was an absolute disgrace that Sicily was overlooked for Stewart

Just as big a disgrace was the AA captain selected ahead of Lynch

I am sure history will repeat this year with Dusty being overlooked for someone inferior

What do you expect with shock jocks like Kane Cornes on the panel

Its amateur hour

No one can defend the decision last year.

it was an absolute disgrace that Sicily was overlooked for Stewart

Just as big a disgrace was the AA captain selected ahead of Lynch

I am sure history will repeat this year with Dusty being overlooked for someone inferior

What do you expect with shock jocks like Kane Cornes on the panel

Its amateur hour
Sicily and Stewart should have both picked last year.

And you know you're the only one who thinks that, right? Lynch was the fourth best key forward last year. Lynch had 60 goals and 6 assists over home and away. Hawkins had 59 and 26. Can you see why Hawkins was much more effective?

Martin, do you want him picked as a forward or a midfielder? If as a forward then Greene, Langford, Cameron, Breust, Henry, Lukosius, Papley, Elliott and Rankine at a minimum have had better years as small/medium forwards. If Martin gets picked ahead of any of the top 3 (who are streets ahead this year) it'll be due to reputation over output. If it's as a mid then there's about another 20 ahead of him.

What's the Tiger obsession with Dusty and AA this year. He most likely misses whether you choose midfield or forward. He's had a great career, its not the end of the world.

Sorry, Richmond fans are trying to pick him as a forward. Therefore goals and assists are the most important part. I'd rather pick a forward in the AA side with 50+ goals who averages 10-15 touches a game compared to one that has 25 and averages 23
Exactly. Sure he has the 11th most score involvements* but he's nowhere near it for goals or assists.

*Something else to think about for SIs are his 22 behinds. Those are 22 "clanger" score involvements. If you remove everyone's behinds then Martin and Bolton are equal 18th for total score involvements. Trailing Curnow, Petracca, Bont, Walker, Greene, Coniglio, Miers, Rozee, Butters, Dawson, Anderson, Laird, Merrett, Adams, Newcombe, Brayshaw and Green.

Melbourne: Petracca, Gawn
Good squad, I can see Gawn making it on the back of his name recognition, being a top 3-5 ruck and some super games but he probably shouldn’t.

Meanwhile Viney might be leading or at least second in the Dees best and fairest and has been the best midfielder in a stack of games. Would be a harsh omission from the squad

What's the Tiger obsession with Dusty and AA this year. He most likely misses whether you choose midfield or forward. He's had a great career, its not the end of the world.
You've obviously done the clever thing and stayed well clear of the multiple 'Dustie for GOAT!' threads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good squad, I can see Gawn making it on the back of his name recognition, being a top 3-5 ruck and some super games but he probably shouldn’t.

Meanwhile Viney might be leading or at least second in the Dees best and fairest and has been the best midfielder in a stack of games. Would be a harsh omission from the squad
Viney should make the squad. They pick about 20 midfielders and they pick a few for top 4 teams. Viney should slip in right behind Petracca. Gawn or May for the last Melbourne squad spot I reckon.

Sicily Andrews Wilkie
Sinclair Moore N.Daicos

Gulden Bont J.Daicos
English Butters Liberatore

Rozee Curnow Petracca
Cameron Walker Greene

Dawson Merrett Marshall Larkey

Neale - had a strong year but fairly borderline, didnt start the season that well.
Serong - too many blind hack kicks, lots of bad turnovers cost his team at key moments

Last year the worst omission was Sicily, especially since he played 5 more games than Stewart and was 19 coaches votes clear of the next defender. This year I get the feeling they will omit Merrett, been very consistent and one of the best users in the comp still.

Last edited:
Sicily and Stewart should have both picked last year.

And you know you're the only one who thinks that, right? Lynch was the fourth best key forward last year. Lynch had 60 goals and 6 assists over home and away. Hawkins had 59 and 26. Can you see why Hawkins was much more effective?

Martin, do you want him picked as a forward or a midfielder? If as a forward then Greene, Langford, Cameron, Breust, Henry, Lukosius, Papley, Elliott and Rankine at a minimum have had better years as small/medium forwards. If Martin gets picked ahead of any of the top 3 (who are streets ahead this year) it'll be due to reputation over output. If it's as a mid then there's about another 20 ahead of him.
Elaborating on my previous point - because a few have said goals and assists don't matter, Martin is an SI king - a bit more of an analysis on the most goal involvements this season. Combine goals and assists, subtract behinds from the surplus SIs and use 50% team accuracy as a rough estimate (it's imperfect as players will be in SIs that end up with forwards of varying accuracy, but it's the only way to do it):

The overall table of goal involvements (best estimate) for 2023:

1. Curnow: 121 goals
2. Walker: 115 goals
3. Greene: 112 goals
4. Petracca: 108 goals
5. Bontempelli: 101 goals
6. Langford: 100 goals
7. Miers: 100 goals
8. Coniglio: 94 goals
9. J.Cameron: 93 goals
10. Hawkins: 92 goals

11. Larkey: 91 goals
Bolton: 91 goals
13. C.Cameron: 90 goals
14. Naughton: 89 goals
Rozee: 89 goals
Butters: 89 goals
15. Papley: 86 goals
16. D.Martin: 86 goals
Adams: 86 goals
17. Daniher: 85 goals
18. Lukosius: 83 goals
Keays: 83 goals
20. Dawson: 82 goals

21. Hipwood: 81 goals
22. Gulden: 80 goals
Anderson: 80 goals
N.Martin: 80 goals
Merrett: 80 goals
Newcombe: 80 goals
27. Allen: 79 goals
Shultz: 79 goals
Brayshaw: 79 goals
30. Pendlebury: 78 goals
T.Kelly: 78 goals

32. Elliot: 77 goals
Ugle-Hagan: 77 goals
Heeney: 77 goals
N.Daicos: 77 goals
36. Rankine: 76 goals
Finlayson: 76 goals
Laird: 76 goals
McLuggage: 76 goals
Moore: 76 goals
Green: 76 goals

42. Close: 75 goals
Bailey: 75 goals
44. Pickett: 74 goals
Miochek: 74 goals
Warner: 74 goals
47. Rayner: 73 goals
De Goey: 73 goals
Higgins: 73 goals
Taranto: 73 goals

51. Serong: 72 goals
J.Daicos: 72 goals
Parker: 72 goals
54. Fogarty: 71 goals
55. Neale: 71 goals
56: Treloar: 70 goals
English: 70 goals
O.Henry: 69 goals
Walters: 69 goals
Breust: 69 goals

Martin has had an almost identical scoreboard impact to Adams, Papley and Daniher. Slightly ahead of Keays and Lukosius, slightly behind Naughton and C.Cameron as far as pure forwards, and a distance behind Langford and Miers (surprisingly even the injured Jezza and Hawkins too).

Coniglio is underrated. The coaches don't acknowledge him that much but he's involved in a lot of goals for someone never talked about.

Last edited:
You've obviously done the clever thing and stayed well clear of the multiple 'Dustie for GOAT!' threads.
I took a glimpse once. I'd rather be castrated with a cheese grater.

Any idea when the squad gets announced. Still think Wilkie over Stewart bias obviously but best defender in best defensive team to me sounds about right.

Any idea when the squad gets announced. Still think Wilkie over Stewart bias obviously but best defender in best defensive team to me sounds about right.

Wednesday the squad of 40 is announced

It's close enough that I think Wilkie in a finals team and strong defence will get the nod. I've no problem with that, Wilkie would be fully deserving of a spot.

not enough love for coniglio
averaging more possesions than anyone in the top 10 scores and score invovments. Including bont and petracca

Would be a good squad addition, GWS deserve more than 1 in the top 40. They may get Taylor but he's missed a third of the year.

not enough love for coniglio
averaging more possesions than anyone in the top 10 scores and score invovments. Including bont and petracca
Look at my table above. 8th in the league for estimated goal involvements. He's always had a better case than his team mate Green. But for whatever reason the coaches ignore him a lot and he's not a hyped name.

Look at my table above. 8th in the league for estimated goal involvements. He's always had a better case than his team mate Green. But for whatever reason the coaches ignore him a lot and he's not a hyped name.

It's taken a better coach not wasting Cognilio's talents. Kingsley deserves coach of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back