Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the bias of this thread. Everyone just pumps up their own players.
You can always redress this by offering some positive opinions on non-Geelong players you think might be AA-worthy

I did so last week when I offered some balanced opinion & stats about the key forwards.

I was replying to the prolific Geelong fan who has mostly used this thread to act as biased cheerleader for Tom Hawkins and Jeremy Cameron. I suggested Tex Walker was the leading contender for a key forward position ahead of Curnow and the Geelong duo and that Joe Daniher, Nick Larkey and Oscar Allen were also well-worthy of being included in the discussion. Right there with all of the others, in my opinion.

But you didn't like that and you downvoted me.... :D

Last edited:
I know he had a good game this week, but (and I say this as a Crows fan)...

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office
Think they just looked at the Hit Outs stat which he is leading.

For a team sitting in 4th, it's pretty strange that Melbourne would not have one player close to the 22. Oliver would have been a certainty, but he's missed to many.
To be honest I'm not sure they have any in the 40 squad right now.

For a team sitting in 4th, it's pretty strange that Melbourne would not have one player close to the 22. Oliver would have been a certainty, but he's missed to many.
To be honest I'm not sure they have any in the 40 squad right now.
Petracca should be top 40 if not 22 not sure who else though

Time for Isaac Quaynor to start featuring. Hasn't been beaten in a contest all year, literally never.

Last edited:
Seeing a lot of Charlie Cameron, he's honestly been pretty poor for a few weeks now but had a super start to the year.

A couple more poor weeks and he is likely out of the Best 22. On the flip, Daniher is having his best season since 2017 and would be in the convo if he keeps this up.
true enough but who takes his spot as a small forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Houston, D. Moore, T. Stewart
HB: J. Sinclair, H. Andrews, N. Daicos
C: Gulden, L. Neale, J. Dawson
FO: English, Serong, Butters
HF: Bont, T. Walker, Rozee
F: Rankine, C. Curnow, T. Greene
INT: S. Darcy, Merrett, Libba, Taranto

I noticed he's been in the coaches votes, but I really think he has lacked impact on the game over the past month.
My thoughts too. He's still getting very involved but has lacked the class and hurt factor he was previously having. Stats wise good, but not really willing the Demons over the line. Maybe a harsh assessment but he's probably back to borderline for me as far as AA team (if sticking to 6 or so mids).

Seeing a lot of Charlie Cameron, he's honestly been pretty poor for a few weeks now but had a super start to the year.

A couple more poor weeks and he is likely out of the Best 22. On the flip, Daniher is having his best season since 2017 and would be in the convo if he keeps this up.
I agree on this but he has so many credits in the bank and was essentially a lock with little competition. Whereas Daniher is in better form and a chance but has more competition for the tall forward spots.

I hate to not agree with a neutral pumping up a Freo player but if Ryan gets in then it must be a bad year for defenders and I’ve been telling Freo posters he’s been our 2nd best defender this year. There are Freo posters wanting him dropped - now that’s being a nuffy but I don’t reckon there are many players that have gotten AA with some of their supporters wanting him dropped.

Kenny 4 coach though

You can always redress this by offering some positive opinions on non-Geelong players you think might be AA-worthy

I did so last week when I offered some balanced opinion & stats about the key forwards.

I was replying to the prolific Geelong fan who has mostly used this thread to act as biased cheerleader for Tom Hawkins and Jeremy Cameron. I suggested Tex Walker was the leading contender for a key forward position ahead of Curnow and the Geelong duo and that Joe Daniher, Nick Larkey and Oscar Allen were also well-worthy of being included in the discussion. Right there with all of the others, in my opinion.

Are you talking about me? As my approach was always numbers based and they were the two leaders (combined goals/assists... especially against non-bottom.teams). Since then Cameron fell well out of form and Hawkins goals dried up, so the former is out and the latter borderline.

Goals and assists round 16:

1. Charlie Curnow 56 (45/11)
2. Taylor Walker 54 (46/8)/Tom Hawkins (37/17)
4. Toby Greene 52 (38/14)
5. Joe Daniher/Jeremy Cameron 48 (39/9)
7. Nick Larkey 47 (42/5)
8. Charlie Cameron 45 (37/8)
9. Izak Rankine 43 (30/13)/Kyle Langford (29/14)
For tall forwards this table is realistically the best way to do it. Curnow in one spot, Walker and Hawkins contending for 2nd. Sometimes there's a third tall spot too. I'd rather use a forward spot on that than an extra midfielder but who knows how the selectors will go.

For tall forwards this table is realistically the best way to do it. Curnow in one spot, Walker and Hawkins contending for 2nd. Sometimes there's a third tall spot too. I'd rather use a forward spot on that than an extra midfielder but who knows how the selectors will go.
All three are in right now.

1. A long time on this site means taking you seriously is no longer the case.

2. I disagreed because you created a metric for forwards that just so happened to shoehorn Mitch ****ing Lewis high up the list, I took no issue with the other forwards listed. Some criteria per games played like that matters. Those who miss games to a certain extent aren’t in AA conversation. And in 2023 Hawthorn players won’t be, just on performance alone.

STARTING 18 FROM 18 TEAMS:

FB - Stewart - Andrews - Sicily

HB - Daicos - Ballard - Sinclair

C - Gulden - Taranto - Serong

HF - Petracca - Larkey - Greene

FF - Allan - Walker - Curnow

FOLL - English - Butters - Merrett
I like this, but J Kelly is making a run for the wing spot. And I think Moore deserves a spot down back in place of Ballard, perhaps

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back