HB: Daicos Moore Houston
C: Daicos Petracca Gulden
HF: Greene Walker Petracca
FF: Cameron Curnow Hawkins
R: English Taranto Butters
I/C: Sicily Dawson Neale Bontempelli

Rozee, Merrett, Libba stiff

Mids mids mids

Goldstein? Could name many who have been better. Darcy, English, Marshall, OMac, Witts, probably Gawn, ROB and even Jackson
Two of those are correct. The first two. He's been great this year.

Last year's squad of 44 had 12 forwards, 13 defenders, 3 rucks and 18 midfielders
Using those numbers, I'd sit on

DEFENDERS: Harris Andrews, Darcy Moore, Nick Daicos, Isaac Quaynor, Mason Redman, Luke Ryan, Tom Stewart, Charlie Ballard, James Sicily, Dan Houston, Aliir Aliir, Callum Wilkie, Jack Sinclair
MIDFIELDERS: Rory Laird, Jordan Dawson, Lachie Neale, Josh Dunkley, Jordan De Goey, Josh Daicos, Zach Merrett, Caleb Serong, Noah Anderson, Tom Green, Christian Petracca, Clayton Oliver, Zak Butters, Connor Rozee, Tim Taranto, Errol Gulden, Marcus Bontempelli
RUCKS: Sean Darcy, Tim English, Rowan Marshall
FORWARDS: Taylor Walker, Izak Rankine, Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron, Charlie Curnow, Kyle Langford, Jeremy Cameron, Tom Hawkins, Toby Greene, Nick Larkey, Jeremy Finlayson, Oscar Allen

Current team:
B: James Sicily - Darcy Moore - Callum Wilkie
HB: Nick Daicos - Charlie Ballard - Jack Sinclair
C: Josh Daicos - Jordan Dawson - Zach Merrett
HF: Connor Rozee - Taylor Walker - Jeremy Cameron
F: Charlie Cameron - Charlie Curnow - Toby Greene
R: Tim English - Marcus Bontempelli - Zak Butters
I: Lachie Neale - Tim Taranto - Christian Petracca - Dan Houston

Two of those are correct. The first two. He's been great this year.
Mate ask any North fan, they'll tell you how over the hill he has looked for most of the year. 3 coaches votes in 14 games compared to the elite rucks this year is no good. He's average to below average in most key metrics. Hasn't been close to a top three ruck this year.

Last year's squad of 44 had 12 forwards, 13 defenders, 3 rucks and 18 midfielders
Using those numbers, I'd sit on

DEFENDERS: Harris Andrews, Darcy Moore, Nick Daicos, Isaac Quaynor, Mason Redman, Luke Ryan, Tom Stewart, Charlie Ballard, James Sicily, Dan Houston, Aliir Aliir, Callum Wilkie, Jack Sinclair
MIDFIELDERS: Rory Laird, Jordan Dawson, Lachie Neale, Josh Dunkley, Jordan De Goey, Josh Daicos, Zach Merrett, Caleb Serong, Noah Anderson, Tom Green, Christian Petracca, Clayton Oliver, Zak Butters, Connor Rozee, Tim Taranto, Errol Gulden, Marcus Bontempelli
RUCKS: Sean Darcy, Tim English, Rowan Marshall
FORWARDS: Taylor Walker, Izak Rankine, Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron, Charlie Curnow, Kyle Langford, Jeremy Cameron, Tom Hawkins, Toby Greene, Nick Larkey, Jeremy Finlayson, Oscar Allen

Current team:
B: James Sicily - Darcy Moore - Callum Wilkie
HB: Nick Daicos - Charlie Ballard - Jack Sinclair
C: Josh Daicos - Jordan Dawson - Zach Merrett
HF: Connor Rozee - Taylor Walker - Jeremy Cameron
F: Charlie Cameron - Charlie Curnow - Toby Greene
R: Tim English - Marcus Bontempelli - Zak Butters
I: Lachie Neale - Tim Taranto - Christian Petracca - Dan Houston
Locks for the team bolded, IMV.

B: Sinclair Andrews Ballard
HB: Daicos Moore Houston
C: Daicos Petracca Gulden
HF: Greene Walker Petracca
FF: Cameron Curnow Hawkins
R: English Taranto Butters
I/C: Sicily Dawson Neale Bontempelli

Rozee, Merrett, Libba stiff

Mids mids mids
Sinclair is one of the league's best back pockets. Equal 26th in the league for rebound 50s and 52nd for intercepts. 168th in the league for number of defensive 1v1 contests faced. Classic defensive 50 stuff.

He's definitely not a high half back/winger/midfielder. Promise.

Sinclair is one of the league's best back pockets. Equal 26th in the league for rebound 50s and 52nd for intercepts. 168th in the league for number of defensive 1v1 contests faced. Classic defensive 50 stuff.

Sinclair is a defender who pushes up the ground as the game progresses.

I see you had no issue with me putting Hawkins in the forward pocket. Not a known crumber or goal sneak. Funny you overlooked that one and you even had him there in your own side. Unless you think he plays forward pocket week in week out?

Last edited by a moderator:

I see you had no issue with me putting Hawkins in the forward pocket. Not a known crumber or goal sneak. Funny you overlooked that one and you even had him there in your own side. Unless you think he plays forward pocket week in week out?
There's plenty of players not named Tom Stewart that have had high numbers of back pocket metrics (rebound 50s, intercepts and defensive 1v1 contests). It wasn't an attack but a talking point. As is the need for a third tall forward, which is reasonable to either have one or not (but for me, less weird than Sinclair in a back pocket).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacob Weitering one for the watchlist. Two back to back outstanding games to bring the Blues back into relevancy. Will be hard to omit whilst he wills the team to 10 straight wins to push for a top 4 spot.

Jacob Weitering one for the watchlist. Two back to back outstanding games to bring the Blues back into relevancy. Will be hard to omit whilst he wills the team to 10 straight wins to push for a top 4 spot.
Gonna be easy to omit when they win 1 or 2 more for the rest of the year and finish bottom 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's certainly been impressive against those powerhouses Gold Coast and Hawthorn.

Importantly, how did he go against West Coast and North Melbourne? If he also performed against them, it may just be enough to get him over the line.

Walker and Curnow's ability to get up the ground mean I think one of them would fit a '3rd tall' spot and get all 3 in without having to throw team balance out too much.
Pretty much every team lines up with 2 key forwards and 2 rucks or 3 and 1.

Intoduction to a back pocket's (or even a back flanker who defends his defensive 50 often) heat map:

1688429384194.png
Stacks of intercepting tall defenders fit this profile too.

Now a look at a couple of midfielders, along with super high half back/winger/midfielder Sinclair:

1688429442656.png

Bont and Green having around double the amount of defensive 50 possessions as Sinclair, while the defensive/forward half ratios of the three are similar. If anything, I have a new back pocket candidate in Tom Green. ;)

He's certainly been impressive against those powerhouses Gold Coast and Hawthorn.

Importantly, how did he go against West Coast and North Melbourne? If he also performed against them, it may just be enough to get him over the line.
Not sure, but I've pencilled him in for a complete domination in Round 20.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back