News 2023 All Australian Team Named - Congrats Charlie

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a heap of nominees for a team that was absolutely red hot during the nine game winning streak. I think this is a great thing, shows weā€™ve been functioning so well as a team after years of having outstanding individual performances.
Or it could mean we have been busting a gut but we arguably don't quite have the list yet to ultimately back it up. It depends on your outlook, I guess.

Last edited:
Or it could mean we have been busting a gut but we don't quite have the list yet to ultimately back it up. It depends on your outlook, I guess.
You want list perfection over a team working hard for each other and getting wins?

Honestly our improvement has been due to improvements in the whole playing group over individual performances so I cannot really be too bothered by the selections. That said, make the selectors look like idiots by bringing home #17, or at least pushing deep into the finals boys!!!!

Champion team over team of champions 100% of the time !!!

So... Jai Newcombe is an AA player? I wouldn't have him in the top 40 midfielders in the league let alone the top 5 or 6.

Luke Jackson? WTF?

That has to be one of the worst AA squads ever named.

So... Jai Newcombe is an AA player? I wouldn't have him in the top 40 midfielders in the league let alone the top 5 or 6.

Luke Jackson? WTF?

That has to be one of the worst AA squads ever named.
Naw I think Newcombe is up there.

Jackson is a bit weird, still seems an almost, in between kind of player, unless I've missed something.

AA squad is a joke every year, and doesnt mean anything really.
Weiters pretty ordinary first half of the year, probably lucky to be in it.
Cripps hasnt had his best year either, based on reputation.

Cerra been consistently best all year, doesnt make it.

Ah well, win finals. More important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez name recognition gets u a gig. Love Crippa but Cerra has been better for longer this year.
Newman proving u donā€™t need to be dead to be stiff.
Weiters deserves to be named in final Squad & Charlie is first picked
Agree Cripps by his standards was average until approx R13.

Cerra has been our best player this year by a fair distance, had it not been for his recent injury he would win our B&F comfortably.

Naw I think Newcombe is up there.

Jackson is a bit weird, still seems an almost, in between kind of player, unless I've missed something.
Nope, nowhere near it.

1693266005639.png

Not that those stats tell a full picture, but when you're competing in a very tough position, against the likes of the 2 Melbourne lads, Neale etc etc. Jair a fair way off still.

And against Cezz:

Has had a very good year.

Up there in coaches votes (11th best mid), more than Cripps or Cerra.

Has had some absolute ripper games, mixed with some quieter ones. Hard to be super consistent in a struggling side tho.

I think he'd be in the top 15-20 mids this year; borderline AA squad IMHO. Maybe a tiny bit lucky to make it, but maybe unlucky to miss out.

No issue with Cripps. Won't get near the team but good recognition for hiis leadership. Also, despite all the flack he's copped from supporters he actually leads us for coaches votes this year.

Weiters should get in. He has been unreal the 2nd half of the year and unlike most the key backs named actually locks down an opponent. His bad first half of the year was overblown. He barely lost a 1 on 1 contest and still beat his opponent most weeks. Just didn't do much offensively and had a few bad turnovers. Shouldn't hold him back. Statistically he's thereabouts with Harris Andtews despite the fact Andrews has been getting the 2nd tall most weeks.

Charlie will be first player picked. No brainer.

I never stress to much about the squad so long as they get the team right. For me nobody missed the squad who should be in the final team so for now we are good. The selectors have actually been pretty good in recent years.

Ridiculous that they went down the u12s participation route by ensuring every club was represented. Cripps has been solid but i dont think any Blues fan would have thought twice if he missed the squad.. Newman should make the 23, not including him in the 40 shows how clueless the selectors are. Will be interesting to see who makes it, obviously Curnow is selected.

Weiters is up against Moore, Sicily, Stewart and Wilkie probably for 3 spots.. Stewart is probably a lock based on how much the media jizz all over him leaving 2 spots available for the others.
Weiters played 23 Sicily 19, Moore 21 & Wilkie 22, on theory this should rule Sicily out, but the media love him.. Moore has captained the team that finished on top, but has had at least as many bad games as JW did at the start of the season.. Wilkie is solid but surely not..

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2023 All Australian Team Named - Congrats Charlie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back