News AA 2024 - Congratulations Patrick & Weiters

Remove this Banner Ad

What? Are you talking about this year? McGovern got in on name only. All my mates are West Coast fans and they all think he's coasted off the defensive capabilities of Barass for two or three years, playing lose and getting cheap ball.
First of all, my commiserations on your friends being WC fans, growing up in Perth so were many of mine. McGovern has always had a licence to play off his man and this year 2024 he has been in good form averaging just over 20 disposals a game v Weiters 14 and HA 13, marks are similar as is efficiency per disposals. Metres gained by McG 462, W 206, HA less again.
Not a huge fan of just going of stats, but he did play some good footy this year

First of all, my commiserations on your friends being WC fans, growing up in Perth so were many of mine. McGovern has always had a licence to play off his man and this year 2024 he has been in good form averaging just over 20 disposals a game v Weiters 14 and HA 13, marks are similar as is efficiency per disposals. Metres gained by McG 462, W 206, HA less again.
Not a huge fan of just going of stats, but he did play some good footy this year
He had 117 kick ins this year, 111 of those he played on from and therefore had a disposal.

That is compared to 1 and 6 from Weitering and Harris Andrews respectively. Weitering didn't play on and Harris Andrew had 3 disposals from his 6 kick ins.

If you take away McGovern's 111 kick ins, he averages 14 disposals, the exact same as Weiters and Harris Andrews. Again, if you take away his kick ins his metres gained would be substantiall reduced also.

So effectively you think he is deserving of AA because he kicks the ball out? I reckon if you'd got Zorko, Whitfield, Blakey etc in the AA side you don't need McGovern taking kick outs.

He had 117 kick ins this year, 111 of those he played on from and therefore had a disposal.

That is compared to 1 and 6 from Weitering and Harris Andrews respectively. Weitering didn't play on and Harris Andrew had 3 disposals from his 6 kick ins.

If you take away McGovern's 111 kick ins, he averages 14 disposals, the exact same as Weiters and Harris Andrews. Again, if you take away his kick ins his metres gained would be substantiall reduced also.

So effectively you think he is deserving of AA because he kicks the ball out? I reckon if you'd got Zorko, Whitfield, Blakey etc in the AA side you don't need McGovern taking kick outs.
Good argument, but those blokes aren't in his side, so he takes the kickouts because that is his role, nearly every player that kicks out now pads their stats by stepping outside the square. Personally, I feel Weiters has had better years than this season without falling over the line so I'm glad he got one back.

Good argument, but those blokes aren't in his side, so he takes the kickouts because that is his role, nearly every player that kicks out now pads their stats by stepping outside the square. Personally, I feel Weiters has had better years than this season without falling over the line so I'm glad he got one back.
Agree, i'm just saying I think the focus when selecting key position players in the AA side should be their primary role of defending / one on one contests / intercept marks etc and not possessions and I think that Weitering clearly and Harris Andrew both were better than McGovern, by a long while. And I usually think Harris Andrews is greatly over valued in that context, so that's saying something. The AA was weird this year with defenders. With Taylor being injured there really wasn't a stand out defender other than Weitering. Harris likely second but it was dire. I wouldn't have had either of McGovern or Ryan in the side.

Fantastic post, well reasoned and backed up.

McGovern is a good player and has had a great career...but clearly those stats are padded. 5 extra kick ins means an extra 200m+ gained as well.

Agree, i'm just saying I think the focus when selecting key position players in the AA side should be their primary role of defending / one on one contests / intercept marks etc and not possessions and I think that Weitering clearly and Harris Andrew both were better than McGovern, by a long while. And I usually think Harris Andrews is greatly over valued in that context, so that's saying something. The AA was weird this year with defenders. With Taylor being injured there really wasn't a stand out defender other than Weitering. Harris likely second but it was dire. I wouldn't have had either of McGovern or Ryan in the side.
Alex Pierce was unlucky to break an arm, probably still would of had him ahead of Ryan?
It's always hit and miss with AA
The biggest robbery was Kreuzer not being selected when he and Ryder had stand out years, both had similar stats and both polled well in coaches votes, Ryder finishing ahead. Both should have been chosen but they said only 1 ruckman can be selected. A year or 2 later they chose 2:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

News AA 2024 - Congratulations Patrick & Weiters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back