Preview 2023 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope I'm wrong because I like him, but I'm getting a (albeit less dickheady ) Jack Watts vibe about him
All the tools but just unable to use them to their full potential
He's a weapon but you can't rely on him, personally I want him in the back lines swap him and Andrew, let Andrew just play on the ball as a high half fwd, but i don't think that will happen

Here's my go at Rd1 team.....

Not considered (possible trades)....Rankine Sharp Corbett Fiorini

Injured: Weller Budarick

FB: Farrar Collins Andrew
HB: Long Ballard Powell

C: Ellis Miller Anderson

HF: Hollands Chol Ainsworth
FF: Jeffrey King Rosas

R: Witts Rowell Swallow

IC: Lemmens Lukosius Flanders Bowes

Certainly possible. I predict Anderson will not be on the wing and Davies and Holman will be in.

Not bad.

Guessing Swallow will start on the bench and Anderson will start in the middle with Rowell and Touk.
Luko will likely start as a half forward with Hollands on the wing with Ellis.
Not sure in Andrew gets best 22 just yet, so Graham in for Andrew.
Would love to see Bowes get some midfield minutes and Swallow play more forward.

Other than that, this team is starting to take shape and should contend for finals next season, the biggest problem is the loss of Weller which hurts our ball movement, hopefully Long can help with that with his disposal efficiency for last season was above 75%.

Not bad.

Guessing Swallow will start on the bench and Anderson will start in the middle with Rowell and Touk.
Luko will likely start as a half forward with Hollands on the wing with Ellis.
Not sure in Andrew gets best 22 just yet, so Graham in for Andrew.
Would love to see Bowes get some midfield minutes and Swallow play more forward.

Other than that, this team is starting to take shape and should contend for finals next season, the biggest problem is the loss of Weller which hurts our ball movement, hopefully Long can help with that with his disposal efficiency for last season was above 75%.
Just hope that Farrar improves again and helps with ball movement. He makes good decisions. Played only 25 games.

Pre-draft Round 1 line-up

Lemmens Collins Long
Farrar Ballard Andrew/? (until Powell is back)
Ellis Rowell Hollands
Ainsworth Chol Lukosius
Rosas King Holman
Witts Miller Anderson
Bowes Flanders Swallow Jeffrey

E: Sexton, Davies, Sharp

Inj.: Powell, Buddas, Weller

A couple of thoughts.
  • Considering we finished the season playing Farrar on Jeremy Cameron and then Cam Zurhaar, I don’t see why Graham plays with Ballard back unless he has a cracking pre-season learning game awareness.
  • Looking forward to see Mac develop over the Summer, but still a few pre-seasons away from being able to provide an honest match-up
  • We are still missing that guy who can roam around the backline picking up 25+ kicks and start our transition with Weller and to a lesser extent Buddas out. Farrar IMO could go towards filling that role, with only 2 seasons under his belt, but don’t know who else back there we want the ball in their hands.
  • I would still be looking to target the classiest ball user in the top 10 of the draft. Can slot them in on half-back and slide up to the wing early in the season, and once they run out of petrol tickets we should have Buddas/Weller easing back in to end the season.
  • LEAVE LUKOSIUS IN THE ONE SPOT TO DEVELOP
  • I think whether we play finals next year will ultimately come down to how the likes of Bowes, Davies, Flanders, Jeffrey, Sharp develop. Our bottom 6 is our Achilles heel. We need them to go from bit part players floating around playing 50% game time trying not to get in the way, to genuine role players who just play their specific role and execute it well (i.e Holman). They don’t have to be stars, just play A ROLE. Sharp in particular coming on would give us huge relief, with either Ellis able to go back or Hollands HF/Mid.

All in all though, we beat 1 of the teams in the prelims on their deck and pushed another two (as close to beating Brisbane as ever) without everything ever feeling like it clicked. We’re not too far away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the best things about Hollands is that he is a midfielder.. but seems like he can actually play well and influence games without being in the centre square.

Previous Mid/Fwds we've drafted recently like Anderson and Flanders seem to really be centre square only players.

Really gives the team much more scope.

One of the best things about Hollands is that he is a midfielder.. but seems like he can actually play well and influence games without being in the centre square.

Previous Mid/Fwds we've drafted recently like Anderson and Flanders seem to really be centre square only players.

Really gives the team much more scope.
I always thought Anderson could rest as a forward, as he kicked a fair few goals as an underager. But he’s definitely earned his pure midfield status now. Clearance machine and can be quite evasive.

I hope we give a Hollands a clear role next season. His spot in the best 22 is there, for sure.

I always thought Anderson could rest as a forward, as he kicked a fair few goals as an underager. But he’s definitely earned his pure midfield status now. Clearance machine and can be quite evasive.

I hope we give a Hollands a clear role next season. His spot in the best 22 is there, for sure.
Definitely earned his centre square title. I don’t know that he could play forward watching him play.

How many times have you seen him mark on a lead or out of this opponent to take a contested mark. Can remember hollands doing those things more than anderson in their careers to date.

Here's my pre draft prediction taking into the account the expected loss of Rankine, potential losses of Bowes, Sharp, Corbett and Fiorini via trades also, and addition of Long.

Budarick and Weller unable to be considered. Outsiders perspective but I don't see trading Sexton as a wise thing so I still have him inside that best 25 selected. Thoughts very welcome

B: Lemmens ~ Collins ~ Long
HB: Farrar ~ Ballard ~ Uwland/ Powell (SHARP preferred here but may be part of a trade)

C: Ellis ~ Rowell ~ Hollands
RR: Witts ~ Miller ~ Anderson

HF: Ainsworth ~ Chol ~ Lukosius
FF: Rosas/ Sexton ~ King ~ Holman

INT: Davies ~ Swallow ~ Flanders ~ Jeffrey
SUB: Sexton/ Markov/ Constable/ Tsitas

• I'm a rater of Uwland and with the seriousness of Powell's injury late in 2022 he may not get up early. Nod to the future rather than say an Oleg Markov
  • Andrew or Graham also options if wanting extra height
  • Would not want to see Atkins playing AFL anymore

For Suns fans/ VFL watchers can you fill me in of how Sandy Brock went in 2022

Bit of pressure on Rosas and Jeffrey now with Rankine gone.

Will need these guys to become reliable source of goals, both themselves and creating for others.

Rosas had a few nice games, but they were generally against weaker teams.
12 goals and 5 goal assists in 8 games against non-finalists
2 goals and 2 goal assist in 7 games against finalists

There will be opportunity for him to play the full season. Small forwards are always going to find it difficult in losses, but need him to remain a consistent threat. Izak was still going at ~1.2 goals a game against finalists this year.

Jeffrey seems a bit more reliable, purely by virtue of having more ways of hitting the scoreboard.

Here's my pre draft prediction taking into the account the expected loss of Rankine, potential losses of Bowes, Sharp, Corbett and Fiorini via trades also, and addition of Long.

Budarick and Weller unable to be considered. Outsiders perspective but I don't see trading Sexton as a wise thing so I still have him inside that best 25 selected. Thoughts very welcome

B: Lemmens ~ Collins ~ Long
HB: Farrar ~ Ballard ~ Uwland/ Powell (SHARP preferred here but may be part of a trade)

C: Ellis ~ Rowell ~ Hollands
RR: Witts ~ Miller ~ Anderson

HF: Ainsworth ~ Chol ~ Lukosius
FF: Rosas/ Sexton ~ King ~ Holman

INT: Davies ~ Swallow ~ Flanders ~ Jeffrey
SUB: Sexton/ Markov/ Constable/ Tsitas

• I'm a rater of Uwland and with the seriousness of Powell's injury late in 2022 he may not get up early. Nod to the future rather than say an Oleg Markov
  • Andrew or Graham also options if wanting extra height
  • Would not want to see Atkins playing AFL anymore

For Suns fans/ VFL watchers can you fill me in of how Sandy Brock went in 2022
Pretty good, I'd have it very similar.
Sharp cannot play defence, not competitive enough.
Not sure about Uwland's health. He has capacity to play that role but hasn't played any football for >12 months because of a back injury so is just a wait and see.

Tsitas is a long way back.
Didn't look near the level in short game time when he got a chance this year. Think he'll be capped at a good senior VFL player. Am sure he won't receive another contract, hopefully he sticks around the coast like so many do and becomes an ongoing VFL player for us.

Sandy Brock got some scope. Certainly improved throughout the season.
Reminds me of a Jordan Ridley style player, not quite as good above his head, but quick, smooth mover and quite skilful for a tall player.
Actually gives a bit of drive from the back line.
Needs to build his strength.

With some of the mid-aged depth being shipped off we'll still have a pretty young AFL side most weeks - particularly in the midfield and forward.
The top 25 or so players who I would expect to play the majority of the year (if fit):

≤22 years:
Defence: Graham, Budarick, Andrew
Mid: Anderson, Rowell, Hollands, Davies, Flanders
Forward: King, Jeffrey, Rosas, Lukosius

23 - 26:
Defence: Powell, Ballard, Farrar, Long
Mid:
Forward: Ainsworth, Chol

≥27 years:
Defence: Collins, Lemmens, Weller
Mid: Witts, Miller, Swallow, Ellis
Forward: Holman

Backups are generally more experienced, although expecting to feature mostly in the presence of injuries: Casboult, Burgess, Day, Constable, Macpherson, Berry, Sexton, Atkins.

It's encouraging for our continued development.
Given of those leaving, Rankine was the only one who really had any significantly positive impact, maybe Fiorini in a few games.

But also serves as a warning for how much we can expect next year.

We've got to continue getting games into the ≤22 years group.
And continue to find good young prospects in the VFL who can become part of that above core: Moyle, Faulkhead, Brock, Ace, Uwland etc..

With some of the mid-aged depth being shipped off we'll still have a pretty young AFL side most weeks - particularly in the midfield and forward.
The top 25 or so players who I would expect to play the majority of the year (if fit):

≤22 years:
Defence: Graham, Budarick, Andrew
Mid: Anderson, Rowell, Hollands, Davies, Flanders
Forward: King, Jeffrey, Rosas, Lukosius

23 - 26:
Defence: Powell, Ballard, Farrar, Long
Mid:
Forward: Ainsworth, Chol

≥27 years:
Defence: Collins, Lemmens, Weller
Mid: Witts, Miller, Swallow, Ellis
Forward: Holman

Backups are generally more experienced, although expecting to feature mostly in the presence of injuries: Casboult, Burgess, Day, Constable, Macpherson, Berry, Sexton, Atkins.

It's encouraging for our continued development.
Given of those leaving, Rankine was the only one who really had any significantly positive impact, maybe Fiorini in a few games.

But also serves as a warning for how much we can expect next year.

We've got to continue getting games into the ≤22 years group.
And continue to find good young prospects in the VFL who can become part of that above core: Moyle, Faulkhead, Brock, Ace, Uwland etc..
Lack of midfield depth in the 23-26 age bracket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2023 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back