Preview 2023 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Think farrar is better suited as a small anyway. Going to be some good competition for spots down back with weller and Budarick to return. Could see ginbey/ Mackenzie/ hollands starting at half back also.

Farrar aint top heavy. He moves like he is 178cm.
Yeah he’s not the issue, very versatile.

You reckon we can take collins, Ballard, Graham and Andrew into a game?

If I was the Lions coach I’d be lining up a small forward line rotation with
Cameron
Mccarthy
Bailey
Lohmann
Rayner
Gunston
Hipwood
Daniher

They’d run rings around us.
We’d have at least 1 of the tall defenders constantly on the bench.

I'm still not leaving Rory Thompson island

B: Caleb Graham, Sam Collins, Sean Lemmens
HB: Wil Powell, Charlie Ballard, Ben Long
C: Brandon Ellis, Noah Anderson, Elijah Hollands
HF: Ben Ainsworth, Mabior Chol, David Swallow
F: Nick Holman, Ben King, Jack Lukosius
Foll: Jarrod Witts, Matt Rowell, Touk Miller
I/C: Jy Farrar, Alex Davies, Sam Flanders, Tom Berry

Emerg: Rory Atkins, Jeremy Sharp, Brayden Fiorini, Mal Rosas Jnr

Mentioned Joel Jeffrey in the mix if he has a good pre season.

B: Caleb Graham, Sam Collins, Sean Lemmens
HB: Wil Powell, Charlie Ballard, Ben Long
C: Brandon Ellis, Noah Anderson, Elijah Hollands
HF: Ben Ainsworth, Mabior Chol, David Swallow
F: Nick Holman, Ben King, Jack Lukosius
Foll: Jarrod Witts, Matt Rowell, Touk Miller
I/C: Jy Farrar, Alex Davies, Sam Flanders, Tom Berry

Emerg: Rory Atkins, Jeremy Sharp, Brayden Fiorini, Mal Rosas Jnr

Mentioned Joel Jeffrey in the mix if he has a good pre season.
Berry is not ahead of Rosas at all.

Berry is not ahead of Rosas at all.

Yeah, as obvious as it sounds I think we need goal scorers up front.

King, chol probably good for 4-6 a game between them, but outside that. No one else a really reliable goal threat.

Ainsworth plays more up ground and will probably get you 1 a match.

Lukosius not shown to be a reliable source to date.
Holman is more defence.

Think having Jeffrey or rosas provides a bit more offence than Berry.

Especially with Davies likely playing a bit fwd/mid don’t think we need another pure pressure guy.

Do we have any concern that we lose physical presence without the Chol/Casboult combo? I think the impact that Meat had crashing packs is understated. King is an amazing key but doesn't really bring the same physical presence.

Do we have any concern that we lose physical presence without the Chol/Casboult combo? I think the impact that Meat had crashing packs is understated. King is an amazing key but doesn't really bring the same physical presence.
Yeah, a bit.
Somewhat unknown.
Think both king and chol (especially) will have to do it a bit much re.

Yeah, a bit.
Somewhat unknown.
Think both king and chol (especially) will have to do it a bit much re.

They're almost a little bit too similar stylistically whilst being different (and King at a higher level) at the same time. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. Don't think we have seen the last of Meat in the ones. I reckon we could even run with all three given Chol and King's mobility.

Jed Walter in 2024 is going to be an awesome addition to our mix given he has athleticisim but plays with pure brute physicality but will be allowed to develop behind the other lads.

They're almost a little bit too similar stylistically whilst being different (and King at a higher level) at the same time. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. Don't think we have seen the last of Meat in the ones. I reckon we could even run with all three given Chol and King's mobility.

Jed Walter in 2024 is going to be an awesome addition to our mix given he has athleticisim but plays with pure brute physicality but will be allowed to develop behind the other lads.
The thing with Chol and King is they are both quick enough and good at ground level to almost play like a small (but neither offer any pressure). Chol probably has the better leap, along the better hands.

Chol got a bit better with bodying opponents by end of season, but mostly it’s their speed and separation that gets them goals. They both get a lot of goals out the back too, considering how tall they are.

If we can get them in one-on-ones and either kick to advantage or into space then they will get plenty of shots. If we just bomb it high it won’t be pretty as they won’t take out two defenders like a Casboult.

It may serve us well to throw Chol back into the ruck on a part time basis. I know he kicked more goals for us this year than anyone else but I think a lot of the goals he kicked would have been kicked by King if he was playing this year and I think we can all agree we noticed a huge difference just by having Casboult's presence in our forward line this year. Therefore I'd be really hesitant to take Levi out because I feel we need the big bear in the square for several reasons. Plus, Casboult actually does the one percenters that other talls are unwilling to do.

Walter is the obvious long term replacement for Casboult's physical presence in the forward line. I would think the two of them will get the opportunity to play some VFL footy together next year and hopefully that allows Jed to fast track his development as a power forward with a significant presence in the forward line. He doesn't even necessarily have to kick many goals, just provide a physical presence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I think it was the midfield review video where they talked about focusing on using the ball better as a group, which we absolutely will need to do without the man mountain down there landing it on his massive chest.

I think it is something we will struggle with early in the season as we try to adjust and we will see some teams absolutely pick us off with someone dropping in front of the full forward.

The good news is those floater kicks we often see when we try to kick to a lead and it lands about 15m out in front of the leader could be beneficial going to Chol or King. I’d back them in a ground ball 1v1 with their opponent.

I'm still not leaving Rory Thompson island
Rory’s playing for a contract, expect him to suddenly be healthy

If Evans was correct a few of the boys realise how good they have it and that they aren’t highly sort after so expect the likes of Rory, Sexton, Fiorini and Lemmons to give this year all they have

What are we expecting from Sexton in 2023? Is there a spot for him to grab? He can definitely find goals.

What are we expecting from Sexton in 2023? Is there a spot for him to grab? He can definitely find goals.
Reckon Sexton, Rosas and maybe even Jeffrey are competing for the one or two spots vacant from Rankine’s departure as the goal kicking small, with Sexton and Jeffrey showing on multiple occasions they can kick solid bags.

Holman, Berry (and maybe Swallow/Flanders/Davies rotating) competing as the pressure small forward.

I’ve said many times I’m big on goal kickers. If Sexton is fit over pre-season I’d give him the nod if there are two spaces. I know not everyone agrees though.

B Long Collins Andrew
HB Weller Ballard Powell
C Ellis Anderson Hollands
HF Ainsworth Chol Lukosious
F Rosas King Jeffery
FOLL- Witts Rowell Miller
I/C- Swallow, Flanders, Holman, Davies, Sexton

B Long Collins Andrew
HB Weller Ballard Powell
F Rosas King Jeffery

Question marks over Long, Andrew, Weller, Powell, Hollands, Lukosius, Rosas, King, Jeffery, Flanders, Davies, Sexton.. half the side... most of these young or returning from major injury. Just makes me think we could still be one year away, but the talent on that team, it's ridiculous.

B Long Collins Andrew
HB Weller Ballard Powell
F Rosas King Jeffery
Looks a good team but not sure we'd go with 5 mid/fwds on the bench. Would have to include atleast 1 of farrar, Lemmens, Graham or even ginbey. I also wonder if it is a 5 man bench instead of a sub if we could still play casboult and rotate the talls off the bench which could give witts some more rest.

Budarick & Powell both started jogging on a treadmill today

Via Suns Insta
Feel for both of these guys, both fully invested and dealing with challenging injuries that would test anyone’s mental fortitude

You'll be lonely because I reckon even Rory has left
To be fair, Rory's two and a half games this year were probably a big part of the reason we were even in the finals race in the last quarter of the home and away season. We were languishing towards the bottom of the ladder with a win-loss record of 2-5 with a very daunting upcoming month but Rory returned against the Swans and suddenly we pulled off two stunning upsets against Sydney and Fremantle to reignite our season and you could certainly argue that not only did Rory play a big part in that but that we would have had a good shot of beating the Bulldogs if he had not gotten injured early on in that Ballarat game. The fact remains though, those wins were absolutely crucial to us keeping our season alive and perhaps a similar scenario plays out in 2023 if Rory finds his way back into our best 22. We're right there on the precipice of becoming a finals team and even a game or two from Rory could make a big difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2023 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back