Opinion 2023 Coates Talent League Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
Thought I would start a thread to discuss the Coates Talent League (I couldn't see any previous thread).
Here's some thoughts and pictures from two of the games on the weekend.

Bendigo Pioneers v Gippsland Power
1. Thomas Hanily (Gippsland Power)

For Bigfooty (1 of 15).JPG

Despite Power playing catch up all game after the Pioneers kicked the first 5 goals Hanily was heavily involved from the get go in the Powers midfield.
The kid had 32 disposals, 6 marks, 4 i50s, 4 tackles and kicked a goal. Was probably the most complete performance on the ground.
Hanily is 179cm tall.

2. Oskar Smartt (Bendigo Pioneers)
For Bigfooty (6 of 15).JPG

Smartt proved to be the matchwinner kicking 3 goals (including the sealer, from the clutch mark above about 45m out from goal late in the last).
Smartt also had 16 disposals, 7 i50s and 8 tackles.
Smartt is listed at 178cm, so will need to grow some more if he wants to be a genuine medium forward but doesn't turn 18 until late October, so plenty of time for physical growth.

3. Xavier Lindsay (Gippsland Power)
For Bigfooty (2 of 15).JPG

Like Hanily, Lindsay improved as the game went on and was instrumental in the Power's second half fight back. Lindsay often started off the back of the square and was utilised like we've been using Shuey recently.
Lindsay had 27 disposals, 8 marks and 4 rebound 50s. He is listed as 182cm in height.

4. Oliver Poole (Bendigo Pioneers)
For Bigfooty (5 of 15).JPG

Playing a similar role to Gaff/Scully Poole moved extremely well in space.
The guy is an aggressive runner and influential in the first quarter which proved decisive.
Poole had 20 disposals. He is listed at 182cm and appears to have a slight frame, however, he was a noticeably good tackler attributed with 9 in total, including the one below.
For Bigfooty (7 of 15).JPG

Geelong Falcons v Murray Bushrangers
1. Archie Sinnott (Geelong Falcons)

For Bigfooty (8 of 15).JPG

This kid is big (186cm) and hard to tackle (as demonstrate above). All this makes sense considering he's turning 19 this year.
He had 26 disposals on the weekend, kicked a goal (probably should've had a couple more goals and was constantly in the thick of it.

2. Oscar Ryan (Murray Bushrangers)
For Bigfooty (11 of 15).JPG

Despite the Bushrangers being completely smashed in the first half (they were down by 50 points) Ryan was fantastic as an intercept defender (in the style of Brad Sheppard). Ryan had 24 disposals, 9 tackles, 4 rebound 50s and took a couple of good marks (see above) and spoils as the third man up.

3. Tobyn Murray (Geelong Falcons)

For Bigfooty (12 of 15).JPG

Murray reads the play around the clearances tremendously well.
Standing at 176cm in height Murray had 23 disposals, 6 i50s and kicked a goal.
Has a good step of pace.

4. Ethan Borys (Geelong Falcons)
For Bigfooty (10 of 15).JPG

Playing as a rebounding defender Borys was never beaten by his opponent and utilised many opportunities to move up on to the wing.
As an over-ager he reads the play incredibly well. Borys had 25 disposals and 6 marks and I understand that he is leading the league in rebound 50s atm.

5. Nicholas Newton (Murray Bushrangers)
For Bigfooty (15 of 15).JPG

So Newton only had 18 disposals in a midfield that got well beaten, however, there's something about him that just screams that he's ready to tackle AFL next year (perhaps that might be only as a SPP-style of player). Newton showed a stiff-arm to a number of opponents (including Archie Sinnott above). Don't know how far he'll go but at 188cm he's a good sized midfield option.

Last edited:

When do we start talking up the Cannons boys?

Big win over a disappointing Gippy Power side boasting Duursma, Archer Reid and another Sering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Western, without Morris, almost beat that team

Did you watch the Jets v Gippsland game? If you did would like to know your thoughts on Matofai-Forbes. Is Bulldogs NGA for next year and looks to have some talent.
He's pretty handy on the lead and makes the most of his opportunities inside 50, probably needs to get up the ground a bit more in the coming games and look to develop his defensive game

How come Watson, McKercher, Sanders etc didn’t play?

What’s happening with the WAFL and SANFL prospects how come most of them aren’t playing ?

How come Watson, McKercher, Sanders etc didn’t play?

What’s happening with the WAFL and SANFL prospects how come most of them aren’t playing ?
Week out from the start of Nationals not really that surprising especially with the SA/NSW/Tas/Qld/NT lads...

Capture.PNG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back