Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
Damien Barrett mate.

"open to"

"might be"

Ergo: just making s**t up.

Melts on the Eagles’ board are pretty funny. You’re going to have face reality mate - Reid doesn’t want to go there. Get the best deal you can while you can.

Damien Barrett mate.

"open to"

"might be"

Ergo: just making s**t up.

I love it how especially this time of year every time a year journo says something it goes like this:

Something that favours my team: THIS IS GREAT NEWS!
Something that goes against my team: Bloody hack journos just make shit up!

He would know more than you would mate.

Sounds like all things are still up in the air.
Barrett doesn't know anything about the draft. He also gets no info from WCE. Blacklisted years ago.

His stance for months has been that WCE want Curtin because he's the 'best WA talent', nothing more than that. This is despite the fact that we've picked more Victorians with our first rounders in the last 2 national and mid-season drafts, when people thought WCE would prioritise similarly rated WA players.

O'Brien's been on record numerous times saying that the only time they'll prioritise WA talent over interstate is when they rate them on par, then they'll pick the local. Otherwise, they go for best available.

They may very well end up trading the pick but it won't be for unders or fair value, it'll be a trade that's in WCE's favour and it won't be because Reid 'may' be a flight risk. They have no reason to trade pick 1 if they don't want to.

As an aside, it was interesting to hear Phil Davis' thoughts immediately following that statement from Barrett, where he said you'd just take Reid and back your club to keep him, especially now that rookie contracts are 3 years. He used Josh Kelly as an example of this, as well as Boyd leaving after 1 but they made the choice to trade Boyd after his first year because they knew he'd leave in his second and wanted to get the best value. That's far less likely to happen now with first rounders having 3 year contracts, you get an extra year to win over the player.

I love it how especially this time of year every time a year journo says something it goes like this:

Something that goes against my team: Bloody hack journos just make s**t up!

Appropriate that you immediately posted a Jay Clark article.

Something that goes against my team: Bloody hack journos just make s**t up!
He's had the same position for months and when questioned on it says "WCE must want the local kid Curtin", despite WCE not actually meeting him at all during the season, whereas O'Brien's spoken with Reid/Reid's manager a number of times over the course of the season.

Barrett doesn't know anything about the draft. He also gets no info from WCE. Blacklisted years ago.

His stance for months has been that WCE want Curtin because he's the 'best WA talent', nothing more than that. This is despite the fact that we've picked more Victorians with our first rounders in the last 2 national and mid-season drafts, when people thought WCE would prioritise similarly rated WA players.

O'Brien's been on record numerous times saying that the only time they'll prioritise WA talent over interstate is when they rate them on par, then they'll pick the local. Otherwise, they go for best available.

They may very well end up trading the pick but it won't be for unders or fair value, it'll be a trade that's in WCE's favour and it won't be because Reid 'may' be a flight risk. They have no reason to trade pick 1 if they don't want to.

As an aside, it was interesting to hear Phil Davis' thoughts immediately following that statement from Barrett, where he said you'd just take Reid and back your club to keep him, especially now that rookie contracts are 3 years. He used Josh Kelly as an example of this, as well as Boyd leaving after 1 but they made the choice to trade Boyd after his first year because they knew he'd leave in his second and wanted to get the best value. That's far less likely to happen now with first rounders having 3 year contracts, you get an extra year to win over the player.

Okay mate. Keep telling all that to yourself if it helps you mentally deal with the situation. Meanwhile your club admins can work out the best deal they can for Reid.

He's had the same position for months and when questioned on it says "WCE must want the local kid Curtin", despite WCE not actually meeting him at all during the season, whereas O'Brien's spoken with Reid/Reid's manager a number of times over the course of the season.

Find it hard to believe that West Coast, who didn't know until pretty much the end of the season they had pick 1, didn't speak to local product Curtin. Especially given most clubs speak to tons of players during the year.

Bit of a stretch mate.

Okay mate. Keep telling all that to yourself. Meanwhile your club admins can work out a good deal for Reid.
Well, the rumour this morning is Melbourne are preparing Oliver and a first for pick #1.

I absolutely wouldn't do that and I expect it to be just that, because it doesn't suit either party, but would be interesting if there's some truth to it(I expect there isn't).

Can you not come here and spam us with your opinions as fact. Keep that to WCE board thanks.

I am keeping my views open on pick 1 being traded. Definitely think it’s a good chance to happen.

Well, the rumour this morning is Melbourne are preparing Oliver and a first for pick #1.

I absolutely wouldn't do that and I expect it to be just that, because it doesn't suit either party, but would be interesting if there's some truth to it(I expect there isn't).

Where’s this rumour? Link please.

Probably not too far fetched since we were debating Oliver here 15 pages back or so.

We played better with him out of the team.

Find it hard to believe that West Coast, who didn't know until pretty much the end of the season they had pick 1, didn't speak to local product Curtin. Especially given most clubs speak to tons of players during the year.

Bit of a stretch mate.
This was as a month and a half ago, rumour comes from his own father, who is expecting him to go later in the top 10.

Having said that, plenty of times WCE have picked players without meeting them more than once, or showing much interest. A number of players have been convinced they were going elsewhere before having their name called out by WCE. They keep their cards very close to their chest, which is why any reports of WCE 'openly' talking about trading anything is utter BS before it happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Appropriate that you immediately posted a Jay Clark article.

You mean the bloke who I said might not be the best in the business? What exactly is wrong with that opinion? Personally I rate Edmund, Landsberger and Twomey well ahead of him.

Pick 5, 13 and steak knives mate. Like it or lump it with a kid who’s cracking the sads before he’s even boarded a plane to Perth. 😅

I think his off field behaviour is why this might have some legs.

You mean the bloke who I said might not be the best in the business? What exactly is wrong with that opinion? Personally I rate Edmund, Landsberger and Twomey well ahead of him.
You all but said he got his mail off twitter. And he turned out to be right about the Crows being into Petty.

This was as a month and a half ago, rumour comes from his own father, who is expecting him to go later in the top 10.

Having said that, plenty of times WCE have picked players without meeting them more than once, or showing much interest. A number of players have been convinced they were going elsewhere before having their name called out by WCE. They keep their cards very close to their chest, which is why any reports of WCE 'openly' talking about trading anything is utter BS before it happens.

Weird way for them to do business, particularly given they've gone to watch him play. Would have thought given their current position and importance of this decision they would do proper due diligence.

Weird way for them to do business, particularly given they've gone to watch him play. Would have thought given their current position and importance of this decision they would do proper due diligence.
I'm sure they'll meet with him, they may already have.

They've obviously gone and watched him a number of times.

At that point however North had met with him twice and WCE hadn't met with him at all.

Could simply be down to how/when they structure meetings with players but I don't believe anything formal can be done until after the year 12 exams. Might be wrong there though.

You all but said he got his mail off twitter. And he turned out to be right about the Crows being into Petty.

I said that I saw that rumour start on twitter before it was picked up by Clark - Who said the Crows COULD BE into Petty or Sparrow because they're South Australian. I haven't seen the Crows confirm their interest in Petty anywhere, can you share a link to that?

I would do Oliver and P13 for picks 2&3 but probably not for pick 1 to be honest.
There could be something said for fleecing North of their picks for Oliver. They get their marquee player they've been desperate for all these years and Melbourne get a killer draft hand.

Not sure what they'd offer up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back