Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
Mate you keep saying 3 first rounders like they're all equal. It's one good first rounder and 2 meh ones. It's not 3 top 10 picks.
Yeah that’s why I said top 20 - or top 21 or top 19 if that’s too specific for you.

If you guys are sold and all chips on on Reid at this stage, fine. But don’t act like it’s not a reasonable position to back yourself in with a top 10 and two later first round picks.

You’re obviously very excited about Reid and I’m sure you’re right but do you really not remember what people were saying about Rowell pre-draft and especially after his first two games?

Now he just looks like he’ll be an inside workhorse. We did much better in that draft with 2 lower picks

After his first two game yes, there was a massive hype train. Still doesn't change the fact hes a one dimensional player, Reid is unlike anything you've seen.

Yeah that’s why I said top 20 - or top 21 or top 19 if that’s too specific for you.

If you guys are sold and all chips on on Reid at this stage, fine. But don’t act like it’s not a reasonable position to back yourself in with a top 10 and two later first round picks.
It's not crazy just think if the clubs even floating the idea, we can't be rating the 10+ players very highly or else we wouldn't even talk about it. If there was a butters or Rozee which ever went later in their then I'd doubt we are so willing to flip them

Lets do my own version ...

would you rather

Nick Riewoldt (pick 1)

or

Jimmy Toumpas (pick 4), Sam Weideman (pick 9) and Bailey Laurie (pick 22)

It's not crazy just think if the clubs even floating the idea, we can't be rating the 10+ players very highly or else we wouldn't even talk about it. If there was a butters or Rozee which ever went later in their then I'd doubt we are so willing to flip them

Don’t get me wrong, I like that the club is exploring it. One superstar is much more what we need than 3 Brayshaw’s.

I am just very sceptical of any forward predictions about the calibre of drafts or the certainty of a pick 1 being a generational player.

6 months ago everyone was saying last years draft is so thin everybody should trade out of it onto this year’s draft which could be the best ever. Now we’re thinking maybe our club doesn’t rate the depth in next years draft

Don’t get me wrong, I like that the club is exploring it. One superstar is much more what we need than 3 Brayshaw’s.

I am just very sceptical of any forward predictions about the calibre of drafts or the certainty of a pick 1 being a generational player.

6 months ago everyone was saying last years draft is so thin everybody should trade out of it onto this year’s draft which could be the best ever. Now we’re thinking maybe our club doesn’t rate the depth in next years draft
Well either they don't rate it or they rate Reid that highly. Personally think Hawthorn say no to that anyway although I think they should take it.

would you rather

Nick Riewoldt (pick 1)

or

That must hurt you seeing as you hated Roo 😂

Tbf both Roo and Toump were match winners for the saints

would you rather

Nick Riewoldt (pick 1)

or

I wouldn’t have traded Riewoldt for three picks 15 years later, no.

Then again Riewoldt never won the Saints a flag so perhaps they should have traded pick 1 for pick 12 Shaun Burgoyne, pick 18 Daniel Kerr and throw in the Vol-Kane-O at pick 20

Well either they don't rate it or they rate Reid that highly. Personally think Hawthorn say no to that anyway although I think they should take it.
Totally different equation for lower sides, they DEFINITELY should take the extra first rounders.
Kangaroos made out like a bandit doing that deal last year

I wouldn’t have traded Riewoldt for three picks 15 years later, no.

Then again Riewoldt never won the Saints a flag so perhaps they should have traded pick 1 for pick 12 Shaun Burgoyne, pick 18 Daniel Kerr and throw in the Vol-Kane-O at pick 20

No this is my cherry picked version, you dont get to do another.

Lets use the 2000 draft though with picks around roughly what we expect them to be

Riewoldt

or

Andrew McDougal (pick 5), Simon Wiggins (pick 15) followed by a future first Barry Brooks (pick 15)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets be optimistic and say we win a flag with Riewoldt, so its pick 18 next year instead... the club we trade our picks to gets Shane Harvey instead of Brooks. That makes the trade a little less lopsided doesnt it.

Lets use the 2000 draft though with picks around roughly what we expect them to be

Riewoldt

or

Andrew McDougal (pick 5), Simon Wiggins (pick 15) followed by a future first Barry Brooks (pick 15)

Probably go with Wiggo and then trade 5 and future first for pick 2 and get Koschitzke.

Probably go with Wiggo and then trade 5 and future first for pick 2 and get Koschitzke.

Ox would have tried harder to catch him if he was a Dees player

We tried trading 3 firsts for Humphrey last year. I dont think they are locked into a specific strategy, it's one draft at a time, which is exactly what it should always be.

🍒 picking.
Personally I think we should approach GC this year to trade three first rounders for Bailey Humphrey.

Based on the ladder right now we have picks 6 and 16. Next year's first is slated to be on the table as well.

I've gone back to the last 11 drafts and listed below pick 1, 6, 16 and the next year's 20. I chose 20 partly randomly, but also partly because picks slide when F/S and academy picks are included. I haven't assumed 6 or 16 slide, so i'm compensating for that a bit. 20 is still first round most of the time, but you could use any pick in the teens as a comparison.

Here's the list:
1​
6​
16​
future 1st (20)
2021​
Horne-FrancisRacheleDarcy WilmotJacob Konstanty
2020​
Ugle-HaganGrainger-BarrasLachie JonesKai Lohmann
2019​
RowellMcAseyCooper StephensMax Holmes
2018​
WalshBen KingNed McHenrySam Philp
2017​
RaynerJ. StephensonEd RichardsCollier-Dawkins
2016​
McGrathPetrevski-SetonTodd MarshallColeman-Jones
2015​
WeiteringFrancisHimmelbergIsaac Cumming
2014​
McCartinMarchbankSam DurdinFiorini
2013​
BoydScharenbergDarcy LangLaverde
2012​
WhitfieldMacraeJackson ThurlowJack Leslie
2011​
PattonWingardTom SheridanBroomhead

Which years do you take pick 1, and which do you take 6,16 and 20 based on this?

Whilst not necessarily at Reid levels, there are certainly a few #1s on this list that were touted as superstars from an early age (thinking Rowell, Weitering, Boyd and Patton in particular)

Yeah Reid sounds like he'll be more like an Ashcroft/Walsh type as opposed to the many talls that have gone at 1 and never really eventuated.

I spose we just death ride Freo for now and see where we're at come end of season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back