List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
Your opinion..
Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Grundy is flex depending on how hard ball we want to be, but I doubt we will try to drive a bargain too hard.

Stephens will be valued where fringe best 22-25 very often are; second if contracted, third if out of contract. His draft cost value is irrelevant.

Stephen Future 1st.

It’s in the Roos benefit to trade away those FF and keep good relationships.

No one achieves anything by low balling on Stephens.

Also reported that everything is amicable

It could even be an upgrade of future pics Eg our third for there end of first

Something like that

Grundy is flex depending on how hard ball we want to be, but I doubt we will try to drive a bargain too hard.

Stephens will be valued where fringe best 22-25 very often are; second if contracted, third if out of contract. His draft cost value is irrelevant.
Going by several reports, we're willing to pick up the whole of Melbourne's part of the contract (so $650k x 4), and are going to offer 31 or 42 in return.

Let's see what plays out. Both us and Dees will want this done as quickly and cleanly as possible.

Going by several reports, we're willing to pick up the whole of Melbourne's part of the contract (so $650k x 4), and are going to offer 31 or 42 in return.

Let's see what plays out. Both us and Dees will want this done as quickly and cleanly as possible.
It makes more sense for a pick in the 40s

Considering the picks used to acquire Grundy and considering we are picking up the whole contract

This is effectively a salary dump by Melb - let’s not forget that.

Stephen Future 1st.

It’s in the Roos benefit to trade away those FF and keep good relationships.

No one achieves anything by low balling on Stephens.

Also reported that everything is amicable

It could even be an upgrade of future pics Eg our third for there end of first

Something like that

Losing their only decent Ruck and KPD, Norf will not improve next year.

They will be back rattling the tin for more assistance, bribing their fans with free pies to rock up to games and bringing dishonour to the comp.

The sooner they merge with Aberfeldie in the EDFL the better.

STEPHENS MOVE ON THE WAY​

TALKS are progressing on a deal that sends Sydney midfielder Dylan Stephens to North Melbourne.
Stephens has requested a trade to the Kangaroos and was at Arden Street on Wednesday, chatting with North coach Alastair Clarkson.
The former No.5 draft pick is out of contract with trade discussions amicable between the club and the possibility Stephens could be one of the early deals done once the Trade Period opens on Monday.
The 22-year-old played 13 games this season, for a tally of 43 at the club, with North Melbourne holding picks 19, 40, 52 and 60 this year as well as a full deck of picks next year, with the additional two future end-of-first-round picks supplied by the AFL for next year too.

Losing their only decent Ruck and KPD, Norf will not improve next year.

They will be back rattling the tin for more assistance, bribing their fans with free pies to rock up to games and bringing dishonour to the comp.

The sooner they merge with Aberfeldie in the EDFL the better.

They forced out their only defender for a compo pick.

Your opinion..
Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
We can play hardball if we choose on Grundy but the reality is that he IS a contracted player. Let's not cut off our nose to spite our face. We need him! We will probably offer 42 and they will want 22 and hopefully we'll meet in the middle and everyone will agree with 31. There may be some tooing and froing with other picks but that will be the basics.
Stephens is another kettle of fish altogether. I know you have told us 1000 times that we need to be more ruthless but the reality is the fact that he is uncontacted, has said he wants to go to North and they have the second pick in the PSD. We can be as courageous as we want and get nothing or try to negotiate something. In my opinion, something is better than nothing.
I believe that their pick 40 will be involved but it may include other pick swaps to make that a little better for us but I don't expect anything better.

It makes more sense for a pick in the 40s

Considering the picks used to acquire Grundy and considering we are picking up the whole contract

This is effectively a salary dump by Melb - let’s not forget that.
We are not picking up the whole contract. The contract is $1M. Melbourne pay $650K and that's what we will pay.

We are not picking up the whole contract. The contract is $1M. Melbourne pay $650K and that's what we will pay.
I am aware - but it’s a salary dump for melb

They are not happy to have a VFL player earning 650k

They need that money off there books ASAP

Because Grundy is contracted he has a say in where he gets traded etc

Seems like Grundy picked us over the only other interested party

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamling has only played 6 games in the last 4 seasons!
He turns 31 early next season.
Would be disappointed if we went for him.

Edit: After subsequently finding out he played most of 2023 in the WAFL (after returning from a long term serious injury), it appears the Swans are confident he’s now fully recovered and hence he could be a great 2-3 years KPD option for us 👍
His body has been great for the past two seasons and the only reason he wasn’t playing games was because he was behind Cox Pearce and Logue last year and Cox and Pearce this year. Got into the team when Cox got injured and didn’t look out of place at all.

Still has a lot to offer at AFL level and I really think he’s got his body right to have 3-4 good years left in him to be honest. Would be a really good get for you guys right in your window imo. I’d much prefer we kept him on but can’t blame him when he can only make our team through injury.

I am aware - but it’s a salary dump for melb

They are not happy to have a VFL player earning 650k

They need that money off there books ASAP

Because Grundy is contracted he has a say in where he gets traded etc

Seems like Grundy picked us over the only other interested party

I think we'll be paying the 650... but I actually think Grundy will profit out of this. I can feel a 50k a year COLA payment from Melbourne to Grundy. Not bad really, work for one group but get paid by 3

Dow will be a lot better than some on here think. He was really good when given a run this year and will slot straight into our best 22

Looks like the type we need on the inside and won’t cost big money

Looks like the type we need on the inside and won’t cost big money

I like the look of Dow - hope we snag him.

Maybe it is because it’s only highlights but he looks a good user of the ball. The bit I really liked was that he always looked up and assessed his options before handballing or kicking.

He has had to work hard for his opportunity. A classic Sydney trade if we can pull it off.

Maybe it is because it’s only highlights but he looks a good user of the ball. The bit I really liked was that he always looked up and assessed his options before handballing or kicking.

He has had to work hard for his opportunity. A classic Sydney trade if we can pull it off.
We did the right thing by Carlton and Hewett in that trade so if Dow nominates us I don't expect it to be too difficult.

He's an interesting one. As an avid Carlton watcher I can't help but notice he gets pummeled a lot when disposing. It's as if every time he gets the ball he is under extreme pressure. I found myself feeling bad for him at stages when he finally got a game, was doing the hard dirty work, but kept getting pummeled in the process. A mix between slow acceleration and taking his time to dispose. He's a Stephens version of an inside mid. I'm ok with it tho because he at least fills our glaring weakness to a certain extent. Similar attributes to rowbum, maybe a bit better at extracting the ball, but lesser tackling game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back