Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Must be heart-breaking for the kids who don't get picked up. Prob sitting in a room with a bunch of family and friends, just waiting for your name to get called, and it doesn't.

Still, a rough count, there's about 30 list spots still open. So expect the likes of Sanchez to get a gig. But there are always those one or two that we punters think are around the 30-40 mark that just don't get the call up.

After using 32 on Binns, 30 on Cowan, 27 on Motlop, 37 on Durdin and 30 on TDK it's nice to have some confidence that our recruiters actually know what they're doing with picks around this mark. They've obviously got a good criteria for what they're looking for to differentiate those mid tier players in the draft.

They've got to be given the benefit of the doubt that they see something in Billy / Ashton that the others didn't rate.

Moir looks well worth the punt to me. Got some real weapons with that kicking ability. Far from a sure thing but it's a mid range pick in a shallow draft. Obviously backing him in to be a lot better after his hip issues clear up.

And it sounds like the short time Wilson was played as a mid has really caught their attention and they're banking on the fact that the other clubs were only looking at him as a back flank. Seems like a solid pick.

Really interesting Austin saying Wilson will train with the mids - some extra speed and burst from stoppage would be a nice addition to the midfield depth. Ability to go back just adds to the versatility of the team
Philp was our last attempt at a fast mid, I'm glad to see Austin has being seeing the same lack of pace out of stoppage we all have.

Not a lot of exposed form in the highlights package but you can see straight line running and some give and goes that hint at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of those “this isn’t a very good draft beyond the top 10” posts over the past several months have gone out the window just because we didn’t draft a certain player who was still available at Pick 34.

All the kids in this draft are spuds.

Except for the few picks that I liked that Carlton stupidly overlooked. Despite being picked in the 30s and 40s, I am sure they are all future hall of famers.

Pretty sure... ;)

This.
Austin has done a good job to date and this is the first surprise he’s pulled I can think of.
Doesn’t strike me as a massive risk taker so there must be something he sees others haven’t.

Also, Austin is part of a team, it’s unlikely he got here on his own.

This would be Brodie, Agresta, others much more than Austin methinks.

Twomey’s and co. hound the recruiters AND the agents. They know who have been spoken to (repeatedly).

Not necessarily a leak.

Gettable and similar are like a Venus fly trap. Austin is honest and uncomplicated, no game playing. CT on good terms with all of the agents and is happy to give them air time/exposure. More than one way to “get the goss”.

Yeah, think a savvy gambler would be on Carroll. Expect Wills the “saver” with his diminutive stature, but it could be the other way around.

I won’t have anyone take the piss out of Reimers, helped break open the drugs saga. He’s our hero like O’Reilly was for every other club 20 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don't forget the Mighty Drew Petrie, who singlehandedly made the *FC 7000 day thing a thing.

Drew "Frank the Tank" Petrie. Always a true real life hero.

R242014PetrieCelebration.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back