Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Quickly thinking about the draft.

Guys who are likely mids at the next level are pretty sparse.

McKercher, Sanders, Windsor (wing), Edwards, Wilson, Cleary, Graham(?)

Usually the first round is mostly mids

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Quickly thinking about the draft.

Guys who are likely mids at the next level are pretty sparse.

McKercher, Sanders, Windsor (wing), Edwards, Wilson, Cleary, Graham(?)

Usually the first round is mostly mids

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stevens, Johnston, DeMattia, Simpson, Hall, should all play at the next level as mids

Loooove the Moir pick. I know there are knocks on him, but it sounds like we've been in close contact with him for a while and are satisfied with both his attitude and his injury prognosis. If the form drop this year can be explained and easily rectified, then he's an absolute steal with incredible skills.

Wilson I'm finding it a little harder to get excited about. As a running defender I can see it, but I don't think that was a need for us. But to hear that we like him as a mid, and intend to develop him there....I love the pace and agility, love the intent, love the disposal when he gets into space....but his work by hand looks poor to say the least. He's got some incredible blokes to learn from - Diesel and Crippa foremost on that front - but it's an incredibly important skill for an on-baller, so he's gonna need to improve dramatically from the hospital handballs, missed targets, or handballs behind a running teammate that seemed to litter the footage I've seen of him.

It seems an odd pick when the explosive mid with good disposal in Simpson was right there as well. The only consolation I can think of is that Simpson was and is a midfielder, while Wilson was late to that party and may therefore have more immediate upside with development and experience in the new position. Despite those reservations/concerns, I'm optimistic that we've picked the right player for us with access to more information and insight than I have from the outside.

Ultimately though, Austin continues the trend of identifying a need and dedicating multiple resources to providing options that fill that need. Lacked pace, creativity and effective disposal in the front half. Trades in Hollands who ticks 2 of the 3 boxes, recruits Fantasia who ticks all three, and drafts Moir and Wilson who look like they tick 2-3 each as well. At the very least, the selection panel will have options, which in turn will hopefully drive performance.
I agree that what Billy demonstrated with his hands in close was not up to scratch but I feel like that is a trainable trait. I remember when Ratten took over as senior coach from Pagan and suddenly we looked like the Harlem Globetrotters with our handballing in close after one off-season.

Give him some good coaching as part of a functioning on ball set up and it could work. The important thing was that he was a one touch player.

It's not as if we weren't linked to Wilson either

"Carlton (Pick 34) has also been linked to outside runners. Roberts will be strongly considered if he’s still on the board, while speedy yet composed Dandenong Stingrays midfielder Cooper Simpson also has interest from the Blues. Matt Carroll (Sandringham Dragons) and Billy Wilson (Dandenong Stingrays) have also been linked to Carlton."
Fox Sports

Last edited by a moderator:
In his interview, Austin basically suggested they would take stock, and assess who was available post National draft. I think those expecting some insurance or injury coverage with a mature ager is going to be disappointed. We have depth, injury coverage across the park, I am pretty sure we will take a throw at the stumps to find a diamond in the rough who can hopefully be developed to add some progression to the list.

Just playing Devil's Advocate though, we had plenty of time to take stock leading into last night, and then after we picked Wilson. Our list of desired player/s surely doesn't change from last night until this afternoon?

The diamond in the rough was there at 57 if we wanted him. I can't believe we would quibble over $80K of salary cap and risk someone else picking him first, if we have our eye on a diamond. We would see that type as worth 2 years wouldn't we?

If Austin says they are taking stock now, then how do we explain the predetermined pick in the rookie draft? The "taking stock" seemed to be done in advance of the drafts from the way we have gone about it - 2 mature age for needs, 2 draftees with attributes we lack, and then hold 1 back intentionally. That doesn't suggest a 3rd 18 year old to me, but I guess we'll see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those in room clips are really telling

Austin & Co, had a plan and they have executed.
No sliders were attractive enough to deviate from this plan, including keeping F1 for flexibility in next year's trade and draft period.

These clips give me a better understanding and confidence, especially with the Billy Wilson pick.
They had options, could have gone with Simpson, but deliberately rated Wilson over Simpson - that was important to me.
I'm fully behind Billy now :D

Given the above, the information that was leaked seemed pretty accurate - so I'm expecting MCarroll as our rookie
Done for the year!

This forum lurches into Austin bias.
So SoS was not responsible for Dow, Obrien or SPS?
SOS picked Samo, when we didn’t have a head recruiter.
Brodie was National Recruiting Manager in 2017 when we picked Dow and O‘brien.

That’s not to say it’s not collaborative, but it’s the recruiters who are in charge of picking draftees.

Warming up to the Wilson pick, from seeing how Austin talks about him and his highlight video, does have the wheels. I would have preferred Simpson like nearly everyone on here Perhaps could of even traded back and he was likely going to be there, but I guess the recruiters know way more than us. Was honestly shocked how far Shoenmaker, Roberts and Stevens slid would of been nice to have a list spot to trade in for one of them.
on schoenmaker, there was some very unpleasant stuff rumoured about him on the draft board, well beyond the getting caught drinking that lead to a 10 week ban, publicised pre-draft.

I suspect that that information, plus the drinking and potentially his interviews lead to him dropping well below his talent level.

if any is true saints are welcome to him and good luck to them

Straight up lose 80k from your salary cap, and I can’t remember when we last went with more than the minimum number on the Senior List.

80K? If we are that much in trouble cap wise (we aren't, nor are we flushed with cash as some would have you believe) then we have bigger problems

Last edited:
80K? If we are that much trouble cap wise (we aren't, nor are we flushed with cash as some would have you believe) then we have bigger problems
Lose a bit of flexibility with 1yr vs 2yrs too. The list movements end of 2024 will be intriguing.

But with you on taking a pick @ 57 is better than re-setting back down the line for the rookie draft @ 16.

Just listening to Austin interview.

Adamant that Wilson has been picked as a midfielder with speed and a point of difference

Also said they have banked 2 x F4 pick to help getting Campo kids. They will come and train with club for a week or so over pre season and different times during the year

Very happy hearing that

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back