Teams 2023 Fantasy - Rate My Preseason Team

Remove this Banner Ad

13 looks to be the magic number at the mo, so just need two more!

These are probably the most likely sub 300K:

DEF:

Ginbey
Wilmot
Cincotta
Chesser
Cowan
Fahey
McVee
Blanck
N. Murray
Michalanney

MID:

Ashcroft
C. Mackenzie
W. Phillips
O. Hollands
Davey Jnr.
B. Humphrey

RUC:

Who cares, it'll be a donut

FWD:

Sheezel
Phillipou
F. Greene
Chandler
Pedlar
Sturt
Caminiti
Spose there's 23 rookies there plus the donut at R3 so 24.

Starting with the forwards.

Sturt probably wont be named with Walters and Frederick back in
Don't know much about Caminiti but would think that Sharman is ahead of him, not sure about when Membrey is back but pretty poor JS is what I see.
Pedlar looks to be fighting for a spot with Keays, but still plays as a forward in a poor side.
Chandler is a small forward who we all know have limited scoring opportunities albeit playing in a better side
Greens as a KPF in a poor team at least looks like he could give a spike score or two, plus has JS at least until their other KPF's are back
Phillipou is a gun but has no defensive side to his game yet and will be playing forward in an average side.
Sheezel will be a star of the game and I hope that the Roos don't play him like they did with JHF, he showed good poise when played back and hopefully gets up and around the ball.
For me there's really just 2 or 3 options here that fit my bill of scoring and JS

The mid options really says it all.

Ashcroft....
Mackenzie (if he get's the role) don't want to see another Ward type scenario
Phillips ditto
Hollands, still has to be named over O'Brien (should be a monty)
Davey, looks the goods, but will have scoring issues
Humphrey, looks similar to Sheezel but will probably be locked away in the forwards.

I could look at 4/5 on this line with Davey as Utility, Humphrey is a chance but it's between him and Sheezel at that price for me

With the backs.

Don't know much about Murray or Michalanney but they seem like lockdown types who traditionally don't score well, stand to be corrected here (as well as everywhere else)
Cowan and Cincotta are fighting for the same spot, and TBH I don't have much faith in either for scoring ability.
Wilmot and Chesser have reasonable scoring opportunities by playing on the wing and are good bench choices.
Don't even know if Fahey will be named but he does have a hell of a left peg on him
McVee is probably out when Salem returns which could be soon
Reckon you'd be lucky to see a score of 40 from Blanck
Ginbey should be on field in everyone's team

I can really only see 3 options here, 4 if you're desperate.

Like I said, 14-16 out of that lot means scraping the barrel for bench spots.

I'm not poo pooing anyone but for me, I'd rather have performing rookies on the bench and making money.

Don't know much about Caminiti but would think that Sharman is ahead of him, not sure about when Membrey is back but pretty poor JS is what I see.
Pedlar looks to be fighting for a spot with Keays, but still plays as a forward in a poor side.
Chandler is a small forward who we all know have limited scoring opportunities albeit playing in a better side
Greens as a KPF in a poor team at least looks like he could give a spike score or two, plus has JS at least until their other KPF's are back
Phillipou is a gun but has no defensive side to his game yet and will be playing forward in an average side.
Sheezel will be a star of the game and I hope that the Roos don't play him like they did with JHF, he showed good poise when played back and hopefully gets up and around the ball.
For me there's really just 2 or 3 options here that fit my bill of scoring and JS

Ashcroft....
Phillips ditto
Humphrey, looks similar to Sheezel but will probably be locked away in the forwards.

I could look at 4/5 on this line with Davey as Utility, Humphrey is a chance but it's between him and Sheezel at that price for me

With the backs.

Don't know much about Murray or Michalanney but they seem like lockdown types who traditionally don't score well, stand to be corrected here (as well as everywhere else)
Cowan and Cincotta are fighting for the same spot, and TBH I don't have much faith in either for scoring ability.
Wilmot and Chesser have reasonable scoring opportunities by playing on the wing and are good bench choices.
Don't even know if Fahey will be named but he does have a hell of a left peg on him

I'm not poo pooing anyone but for me, I'd rather have performing rookies on the bench and making money.
It’s a pretty bang average list of rookies this season. Ashcroft, Ginbey, Mackenzie, Phillips and Sheezel all feel safe JS and scoring wise but starts to drop away pretty dramatically after that. Seeing a lot of teams with Cincotta at D6 and Wilmot and Chesser filling the bench. To me that is fraught with danger with all 3 having minimal JS and scoring volatility. I think Ginbey at D6 is the play but again, makes it hard as there’s no obvious mid pricer or under priced premiums down in defence

Ashcroft....
Phillips ditto

With the backs.

Good synopsis! I'm also of the opinion the rookie class this year may be weak and so starting best 22 $300-$500k players could result in not just in more points but also generate more cash - which would be a deviation from the norm.

Big time lurker, rare time poster. Gonna try post a bit more this season.

Fairly settled on this team. Much like a few of you, I've bought in to the pre-season hype and brought in a couple of players that weren't on my radar originally in Callaghan, Gulden & Flanders.

DEF - Paid up to reduce the midpricers/risky rookies on field. I think Doch, Daws and Cumming will all be top 6 come years end. I haven't gone as far as checking stats to see if there's any correlation, but I feel Cumming is under priced due to Himmelberg's stint down back last year stealing his kick ins and marks. Daicos has been in and out of my team all preseason but couldn't squeeze him in to this version.

MID - Paid up for Laird. Easy perma-captain. Tried chasing him last year and could never get him in with the constant injuries/patching holes. Love watching Macrae play (when he's on) and don't remember a time he hasn't been in my team, I think he can bounce back after a down year. Tom Green for the breakout - some have flagged his inability to mark/tackle after the praccy match, but he only had 2 games last year where he didn't record a mark or tackle. Callaghan was very impressive so I've dropped Worpel to him to free up some cash. M6-8 pretty standard.

RUC - Marshall locked. With so many question marks over a lot of the rucks I've gone the cheaper Darcy. Don't love it or hate it. Kinda meh.

FOR - Pretty standard. 3 of the big 4, if you include Dunkley in the mids. Gulden hard to ignore after his game. Have had all of Maclean, Bruhn, Henry at F4 but Flanders leaves me with exactly $0k ITB and happy to take a punt on him. Looked good on the weekend, and being the higher priced player out of those previously mentioned it'll be easier to drop him down to one of them than try and chase him.

UTIL - $200K

Feedback appreciated.

1678183606628.png
1678183674116.png

Fairly settled on this team. Much like a few of you, I've bought in to the pre-season hype and brought in a couple of players that weren't on my radar originally in Callaghan, Gulden & Flanders.

DEF - Paid up to reduce the midpricers/risky rookies on field. I think Doch, Daws and Cumming will all be top 6 come years end. I haven't gone as far as checking stats to see if there's any correlation, but I feel Cumming is under priced due to Himmelberg's stint down back last year stealing his kick ins and marks. Daicos has been in and out of my team all preseason but couldn't squeeze him in to this version.

MID - Paid up for Laird. Easy perma-captain. Tried chasing him last year and could never get him in with the constant injuries/patching holes. Love watching Macrae play (when he's on) and don't remember a time he hasn't been in my team, I think he can bounce back after a down year. Tom Green for the breakout - some have flagged his inability to mark/tackle after the praccy match, but he only had 2 games last year where he didn't record a mark or tackle. Callaghan was very impressive so I've dropped Worpel to him to free up some cash. M6-8 pretty standard.

RUC - Marshall locked. With so many question marks over a lot of the rucks I've gone the cheaper Darcy. Don't love it or hate it. Kinda meh.

FOR - Pretty standard. 3 of the big 4, if you include Dunkley in the mids. Gulden hard to ignore after his game. Have had all of Maclean, Bruhn, Henry at F4 but Flanders leaves me with exactly $0k ITB and happy to take a punt on him. Looked good on the weekend, and being the higher priced player out of those previously mentioned it'll be easier to drop him down to one of them than try and chase him.

UTIL - $200K

Feedback appreciated.

View attachment 1623716
View attachment 1623717
Welcome to the Board ....hope to see you more thru the season ;)

Ashcroft....
Phillips ditto

With the backs.

On Sheezel, he’ll predominantly play forward, but will also spend some time behind the ball and the occasional centre bounce, depending on match circumstances. Adams and Clarko view him as very flexible.

Last edited:

UTIL - $200K

Feedback appreciated.

View attachment 1623716
View attachment 1623717

I think this is being slightly overlooked this year by quite a few. Chasing Laird (if not starting with him) isn't going to be all that easy. Even if he drops in price (which he almost certainly will) hes pretty well known for his high floor so its still a hell of a lot of money to come up with while dealing with the inevitable issues that pop up each week

I'm like you and could never get to him last year. He's in my starting team this year

Hi all is it crazy to put a 200 rookie on the field to esentialy upgrade Macrae to Brayshaw?
I'm starting one $200K rookie on the field in my backline, but with Macrae going back to his inside role this year he's every chance to equal or outscore Brayshaw. So I'd personally play one $200K rookie, but not to upgrade Macrae to Brayshaw. Others may disagree.

UTIL - $200K

Feedback appreciated.

View attachment 1623716
View attachment 1623717
Great team. Reckon we have about 4 different players. Rate the DPP with rookies through the mids. Think it’s a good play

I'm starting one $200K rookie on the field in my backline, but with Macrae going back to his inside role this year he's every chance to equal or outscore Brayshaw. So I'd personally play one $200K rookie, but not to upgrade Macrae to Brayshaw. Others may disagree.
Agreed 100%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UTIL - $200K

Feedback appreciated.

View attachment 1623716
View attachment 1623717

Great side mate, not much to fault there :)

Welcome to the board!

I was thinking the same but the first 5 rounds for Brayshaw is hard to pass up

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    783.5 KB · Views: 83
Most current team, should stay pretty similar until round 1 teams. Brought in Callaghan and Sheezel, had to cut Doch down to Ridley to fund the moves. Would love Doch but I feel as though the backline has some sneaky value this year, and think it's most definitely the line you can take a few risks on as it seems pretty uncertain outside of D1 Doch.

Would probably prefer to have Mcgrath over Ridley but can't afford it, plus unsure how the Bombers backline will play out and both seem value. My forwards are looking extremely vanilla but I'm hesitant to adjust them as they'll all be around the mark and I want to leave some room for when DDP additions come in.

Also had Henry over Sheezel, but wanted to 'beef up' my forward rookies (lol) to include Pedlar and Davey. Can't afford Henry without culling both of those guys for 200k forward rooks. I like Henry this year and he has very low ownership, but reading the Freo board there's quite a bit of discussion on what their wings will look like anyway, and he's not guaranteed a spot. Not sure if any Freo posters can shed any light.

Let me know what you guys think. 21k left over.

Fantasy 08-03.png

Hi all is it crazy to put a 200 rookie on the field to esentialy upgrade Macrae to Brayshaw?

I think so - but then I finished sub 10,000:p

Interesting, had 18k and just made myself 171K out of doing not too much...

Witts > S. Darcy (agree with a lot about his upside and Jackson's role not interfering as much, vs Witts who had very little upside and is more the 'safe' choice)

Bruhn > T. McLean (agree that one bad PS game shouldn't exclude him, and there are plenty at his price point - up or down. Nor is Bruhn or his role completely guaranteed either - despite a very impressive PS showing)

Cowan > Cincotta (no idea who they'll go with, so might as well tentatively pick the guy who has DPP and looked to score better than Cowan in the PS game)

Voila, 171K - which I might keep given all the uncertainty around a lot of things this season. Feels good having some cash for once.

Jeeze, i just signed up to the fantasy premium account and looked at bye structure for the first time.

View attachment 1624085

Not good, I won't be making any changes though. Thankfully they're all round 15 so I have plenty of time to fix the above up.

Byes don't really matter this year with the four bye rounds and only two teams missing in the second one. Can easily move to the 12 and 13 players before you get anywhere near 14 and 15.

My team is floating around this at the moment.

I've trialed having a weaker backline with constable at D4, but I really feel much safer having Yeo at D4.
  • Cogs -> Gulden allowed me to go from TGreen to JKelly
  • English -> Darcy frees up some cash to bring in McGrath
I've payed up for the big dogs in Doc and Laird. Because I don't want to be on the receiving end of those guys if I don't have them.

M1 - M4 is solid as ****

Overall I'm quite happy with this structure. I'll probably stick with this, but some of the personnel may be subject to change. (looking at u Worpel)

1678234171895.png

Pretty content with this, I'm not really sold on Phillipou's role at the Saints so I'm happy to fade him. 31k rem.

1678238011980.png

Last edited:
Playing ultra casually this year so plan was just to throw together a team the night before. Got itchy fingers and started picking a few players and before I knew it ended up with this

Untitled.png

• 900k left and no idea what to do with D4/R2. Meek might be the cheap option if they send spud Reeves back to Box Hill
  • Newc my big smoky out of the LDU/Green etc breakout types
  • Worp similar trap to Rowell last year. Callaghan looks a gun and shocked he's only in 12% of teams. Sheed looks ready for the retirement village at the ripe old age of 27
  • Prime Yeo circa 2019 getting 15 tackles a game would be good
  • Waiting for Bevo and Horse to work their magic on Macrae/Gulden. Not a question of if just when
  • Gould the red dot if one is needed as I'm still not convinced he's real even though I've seen him play with my own eyes

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams 2023 Fantasy - Rate My Preseason Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back