Teams 2023 Fantasy - Rate My Preseason Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Ziebell listed as a fwd sadly - there's plenty of options up at that end of the ground for our starting teams.
Even so, a 60s guy with the capacity to average 90+ over the first few rounds is a lock in my book. Happy to run with 0 forward rooks on field and have 5 in total. Will have a better idea over the preseason games but he currently sits at F5 between the big 4 and Mclean

I just don’t see how Clarko will allow that cheap rubbish in the back line that Ziebell got when he played down there a couple of years ago. At $537k he’s priced around 60 but he’d need to go 80 minimum, ideally more like 85 to make it a good pick.

I Dont Think So No Way GIF

I just don’t see how Clarko will allow that cheap rubbish in the back line that Ziebell got when he played down there a couple of years ago. At $537k he’s priced around 60 but he’d need to go 80 minimum, ideally more like 85 to make it a good pick.

I Dont Think So No Way GIF
You mean like the cheap ball Luke Hodge got off half back for years? I certainly see it happening

You mean like the cheap ball Luke Hodge got off half back for years? I certainly see it happening
Awesome well that’s the beauty of fantasy, we have different opinions and we back those opinions in. I wish you all the best with Ziebell.

The difference (from my viewpoint) is that Hodge was a better user of the ball - whereas Ziebell will be more of a “give it, give it, give it to me - oh shit, sorry I shanked it”. Clarko won’t accept that.

The difference (from my viewpoint) is that Hodge was a better user of the ball - whereas Ziebell will be more of a “give it, give it, give it to me - oh s**t, sorry I shanked it”. Clarko won’t accept that.
Yeah you’re probably right here. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. All I’m saying is don’t rule him out, definitely worth a preseason watch

I think I’ve finally got to the “Leave my team for now until the end of the preseason” stage with my team. Feeling like most of my on field spots I’m pretty confident about and I’ve got good balance. Only have three or four on field spots that I may change before round 1 (and the rookie spots of course)

D3 (this has to be the spot I’ve changed the most I feel. Rotated a combination of Yeo, Ellis and others as they all have their pros and cons. I had Ellis there from the beginning of pre season but brought in Yeo as he was the popular option. Also have the ability to go to a Uber and put them at D1 depending on who I put forward. Have Hunt, Ginbey, Weddle at 4,5,6 which completes that balance.)

M1 (I’ve got Andy Brayshaw there, I put him there as a book balancer but I’m liking the pick more as I think he can make that big step and Freo are forecasting a new style of play in the middle. Only thing I’m worried about is a tag from Windhager R1 but who knows what Ross the Boss has planned)

F5/F6 (I’m liking my Dunks, Taranto, Moore, Gulden front four and I’m going to back them which means 5 and 6 are the open spots. Currently have Sheezel F6 as he’s been training in that HB role that was primed for Tarryn Thomas. F5 I’ve started to narrow down the candidates, McLean, Daniels and Pedlar. McLean is the consensus popular option but needs to be in the right role for R1 and he needs to be picked too! Pedlar and Daniels have had great preseasons. Pedlar offers more financial flexibility, but Daniels could have the better role with the Giants mass exodus occurring. This also could help should I not decide to upgrade that D3 spot and leave Yeo there for example, it gives me a lot of cash to spread between getting playing rookies on the bench, if I need to spend a bit more to do so. If there’s a few 200kers playing I can do those upgrades on field)

G'day gents, good to be back and looking forward to another season of injuries, unforeseen substitutes and late outs!

This is the team I'll take into the preseason games - $96k in the bank, and bench rookies are placeholders until debuts are confirmed.

Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 4.00.55 pm.png

Couple of points I'll be mulling over in the next few weeks:
  • The back six is by far the hardest line to navigate this year, and I reckon it'll be where most teams succeed or fail during the early rounds.
  • Much like last year, D3 is proving the problem child. There's a dearth in value premium defenders, so I'm leaning towards a mid-priced option in that position. If Hunter Clark stays fit and gets a role in the midfield during the preseason games, he's should go 20 points above his 68-point price tag. I'm also keeping an eye on Long, who's a risky pick but looks promising in that cushy distributor role of the half-back at the Suns. If neither of them pass the eye test in the preseason games, I'm open to restructuring and moving D3 up to the next best value premium - perhaps Stewart or Cumming.
  • If we're light on for rookie defenders, I don't hate the idea of bringing in Hunt. Priced at 43 and should lock down a wing or halfback role at the Eagles. Coffield is another option, and though he has a better scoring history, he's coming off an ACL and hasn't yet participated in full-contact training.
  • My biggest question in the midfield is the M4 position. LDU looks primed to break out this year, but the tag risk in an otherwise unthreatening Roos. midfield is a concern. Coniglio, Kelly and Parish are all viable options, but there's still question marks over their roles within their respective midfields.
  • I'm still totally unconvinced by Worpel despite his 25% ownership. Still, one to consider if he absolutely blows up in his preseason games.
  • After last year's Preuss debacle, I'm going set-and-forget rucks. Though I like Cameron, his hamstring and the spectre of Cox is enough for me to pass.
  • Butters vs. Rozee: the eternal question. Both are slated for more midfield clock, both have shown similar scoring ability, and both will be decent starting options. However, Rozee's flexibility and ability to impact games is his Achilles heel, fantasy-wise, and I can see a world where his scoring is curtailed by tags and stints in the forward line. By comparison, Butters is unlikely to draw attention from the opposition, and last year he proved his capacity to score with limited CBAs - in fact, he was predominantly starting wing and half-forward if I recall correctly. You can't go wrong with either pick, really, but I do see some slight upside in Butters and am happy to take on Rozee as a slight point of difference.
  • Similar to Worpel, Milera sets off alarm bells. He'll need to be considered if Phillipou or Mclean don't play round one, though.
Love to hear your thoughts, particularly on the D3 and M4 dilemmas.

G'day gents, good to be back and looking forward to another season of injuries, unforeseen substitutes and late outs!

This is the team I'll take into the preseason games - $96k in the bank, and bench rookies are placeholders until debuts are confirmed.

View attachment 1605425

• The back six is by far the hardest line to navigate this year, and I reckon it'll be where most teams succeed or fail during the early rounds.
  • Much like last year, D3 is proving the problem child. There's a dearth in value premium defenders, so I'm leaning towards a mid-priced option in that position. If Hunter Clark stays fit and gets a role in the midfield during the preseason games, he's should go 20 points above his 68-point price tag. I'm also keeping an eye on Long, who's a risky pick but looks promising in that cushy distributor role of the half-back at the Suns. If neither of them pass the eye test in the preseason games, I'm open to restructuring and moving D3 up to the next best value premium - perhaps Stewart or Cumming.
  • If we're light on for rookie defenders, I don't hate the idea of bringing in Hunt. Priced at 43 and should lock down a wing or halfback role at the Eagles. Coffield is another option, and though he has a better scoring history, he's coming off an ACL and hasn't yet participated in full-contact training.
  • My biggest question in the midfield is the M4 position. LDU looks primed to break out this year, but the tag risk in an otherwise unthreatening Roos. midfield is a concern. Coniglio, Kelly and Parish are all viable options, but there's still question marks over their roles within their respective midfields.
  • I'm still totally unconvinced by Worpel despite his 25% ownership. Still, one to consider if he absolutely blows up in his preseason games.
  • After last year's Preuss debacle, I'm going set-and-forget rucks. Though I like Cameron, his hamstring and the spectre of Cox is enough for me to pass.
  • Butters vs. Rozee: the eternal question. Both are slated for more midfield clock, both have shown similar scoring ability, and both will be decent starting options. However, Rozee's flexibility and ability to impact games is his Achilles heel, fantasy-wise, and I can see a world where his scoring is curtailed by tags and stints in the forward line. By comparison, Butters is unlikely to draw attention from the opposition, and last year he proved his capacity to score with limited CBAs - in fact, he was predominantly starting wing and half-forward if I recall correctly. You can't go wrong with either pick, really, but I do see some slight upside in Butters and am happy to take on Rozee as a slight point of difference.
  • Similar to Worpel, Milera sets off alarm bells. He'll need to be considered if Phillipou or Mclean don't play round one, though.
I like this team. Regarding your D3/M4 question marks - would you consider Bowes at D3 for a similar price to Clark who you have there currently? Feel like he probably has the most upside out of the defenders in that price bracket.

In the middle, I’ve got nothing much at all against LDU (he’s probably the first to get tagged at North but that wouldn’t be enough to turn me off) but if you find yourself strapped for cash later in the pre season you could probably go down to Tom Green who I’d expect a similar output from at over $70k cheaper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like this team. Regarding your D3/M4 question marks - would you consider Bowes at D3 for a similar price to Clark who you have there currently? Feel like he probably has the most upside out of the defenders in that price bracket.

In the middle, I’ve got nothing much at all against LDU (he’s probably the first to get tagged at North but that wouldn’t be enough to turn me off) but if you find yourself strapped for cash later in the pre season you could probably go down to Tom Green who I’d expect a similar output from at over $70k cheaper
Green is a great shout and one I haven’t really considered for some reason. He can definitely free up some cash if we need to bolster other areas on the ground, D3 for example. I started with him last year, and the two things that held him back were his rotations forward (thanks, Leon) and his limited TOG post-bye. With a new coach and another preseason under his belt, hopefully neither issue will be a concern this time around.

With Bowes, I’m just not sure what to expect. A big watch, for sure.

View attachment 1605425

Few things

On H Clark. How’d his preseason been? Is he playing midfield or defence this season? I’m bullish on him and have been for about 3 years now. Notorious burn man. Any info greatly appreciated.

Hunt played wing in match sim last week. Think he’s a good shout for a 70ish type average so should make money fairly easily.

Very bullish on LDU this year. Even with a tag should bump his average significantly but plenty of options to move him to if you don’t like the look after round 1. Warner, Green, Mitchell, Simpkin, Serong, Newcombe etc

Few things

On H Clark. How’d his preseason been? Is he playing midfield or defence this season? I’m bullish on him and have been for about 3 years now. Notorious burn man. Any info greatly appreciated.

Hunt played wing in match sim last week. Think he’s a good shout for a 70ish type average so should make money fairly easily.

Very bullish on LDU this year. Even with a tag should bump his average significantly but plenty of options to move him to if you don’t like the look after round 1. Warner, Green, Mitchell, Simpkin, Serong, Newcombe etc
Haven't read much about Hunter, actually. I know he's been training fully and hasn't had any preseason hiccups, but I'm none the wiser in terms of what role he'll play in 2023 - especially with Ross now at the helm. If I had to guess, I think he'll slot into Hill's role off half-back, with stints through the middle.

Even when he's playing in defence, he usually leaves his man and moves into the square anyway, so he's still got the opportunity to score back there.

I've stalked the Saints board as i have Hunter in my Keepers.

He's looking very solid this year, training in the midfield by Lenny Hayes' recommendation.

I've stalked the Saints board as i have Hunter in my Keepers.

He's looking very solid this year, training in the midfield by Lenny Hayes' recommendation.
I also have the prick in keepers. This years the last straw with him. Always has so much promise and pretty much always gets injured. Midfield sounds juicy though

I also have the prick in keepers. This years the last straw with him. Always has so much promise and pretty much always gets injured. Midfield sounds juicy though
Hopefully he can just play close to 22 games, i got him as steak knives so luckily not that attached yet.

Made out of glass atm, surely goes big in a contract year

North Melbourne Game Plan

Now as best I can tell, it centres on how they bring the ball out of the back half of the ground. They’re confronted as they’re coming out (of defence), whether it be Aaron Hall or Tarryn Thomas or any of their runners, with the defensive grid of the other team.

“It’s an old-fashioned switching of the play, but switching of the play back and forth to unsettle the defensive grid, hence the whirlpool nature of the ball movement.

“It’s all around – and this would be simplifying it massively – how they come out of their back half at Melbourne.

“Maybe the ‘Whirlpool’ might be one to look out for.”

North Melbourne Game Plan

Now as best I can tell, it centres on how they bring the ball out of the back half of the ground. They’re confronted as they’re coming out (of defence), whether it be Aaron Hall or Tarryn Thomas or any of their runners, with the defensive grid of the other team.

“It’s an old-fashioned switching of the play, but switching of the play back and forth to unsettle the defensive grid, hence the whirlpool nature of the ball movement.

“It’s all around – and this would be simplifying it massively – how they come out of their back half at Melbourne.

“Maybe the ‘Whirlpool’ might be one to look out for.”
Does that just mean they’ll play kick to kick across D50? Ziebell 🔒

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams 2023 Fantasy - Rate My Preseason Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back