Fixture 2023 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the fixture came out sometime in November. Maybe i was getting mixed up with Membership renewal
However with a google search the below result for the 2022 fixture from AFL site

2022 Toyota AFL Premiership Season Fixture​

AFL releases the full fixture for Rounds One to Nine of the 2022 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
By Statement on Dec 9, 2021, 11:20am
Yes. Certainly won't be renewing my membership this year until the fixture is confirmed. Not convinced the Vic memberships ended up being anything close to value for money.

After the support of VIC members (and hangers on) during the finals down here, if we get anything less than 5 games in Melbourne the club will cop it to high heaven. The club will pull the old ‘we tried’ thing, but boy oh boy will they cop it.

FFS GWS got more games in Melbourne last season, I don’t know one plastic club supporter down here.

After the support of VIC members (and hangers on) during the finals down here, if we get anything less than 5 games in Melbourne the club will cop it to high heaven. The club will pull the old ‘we tried’ thing, but boy oh boy will they cop it.

FFS GWS got more games in Melbourne last season, I don’t know one plastic club supporter down here.
I've never understood why people continue to blame the club for things they don't control.

I've never understood why people continue to blame the club for things they don't control.
I can't believe the club hasn't stopped this flooding TBH

It might not be in the club's full control but they are certainly able to make fixture requests. After essentially wasting one request on "not playing in Ballarat" last year it is reasonable to suggest "x games in Melbourne" is not high on their list of priorities. Which is in my view a massive oversight by the club.

It might not be in the club's full control but they are certainly able to make fixture requests. After essentially wasting one request on "not playing in Ballarat" last year it is reasonable to suggest "x games in Melbourne" is not high on their list of priorities. Which is in my view a massive oversight by the club.

Zero percent is a long way from full control.

Clubs make a wish list, they make a bit of a song and dance about it, but the AFL gives zero shits, it does whatever it wants focusing on it own financial return & growth, take that to the bank.

Zero percent is also a long way from the truth I'd wager.

Furthermore, even if zero percent is correct, it's pretty self-defeating to think that way.

I don't agree with that. It's not all doom & gloom, just the fact that we are pretty much a sponsor child of the AFL atm.

I don't think there's any anti Fitzroy agenda with the AFL, they just don't seem to care about the merger terms.

I'm sure the club would love to play more games in Vic (Vic metro, not Ballarat & not Geelong, and sure as hell not Tassie), just as sure I am that they ask for more games in Vic every year, but they are a cork in the ocean pretty much, and are never going to come out & criticize the AFL publicly in relation to this when it doesn't happen.

I see your point. I guess I'd simply like to see some more combative language from our people about it. But I also acknowledge that's not really the style of Wellington or Swann, and their diplomatic, stay-out-of-the-limelight approach has served us well, certainly compared to a lot of other president-CEO combos in the league. Maybe Daly has that in him but would be out of character compared to what we've seen from him since taking over from Noble.

All the more reason for us to become self sufficient ASAP, so we no longer need to rely on AFL handouts.

On the other hand, I'm reminded of that scene from Taken where Liam Neeson electrocutes the bad guy. The bad guy thinks if he tells Neeson what he wants, he'll survive. But nah, Neeson leaves the lights on when he walks out. Sometimes I feel like we're trying so hard not to rock the boat, but how do we know that's making a positive difference? Would we better off throwing the cat amongst the pigeons a bit?

I don't know the answer to that, I think you make a fair point, and maybe it simply comes back to how we all handle conflict; I tend to confront it head on which I acknowledge is not always wise. But it's food for thought anyway.

And at the end of the day I just wanted to share that Taken scene. "I believe you. But it's not gonna save you."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see your point. I guess I'd simply like to see some more combative language from our people about it. But I also acknowledge that's not really the style of Wellington or Swann, and their diplomatic, stay-out-of-the-limelight approach has served us well, certainly compared to a lot of other president-CEO combos in the league. Maybe Daly has that in him but would be out of character compared to what we've seen from him since taking over from Noble.

All the more reason for us to become self sufficient ASAP, so we no longer need to rely on AFL handouts.

On the other hand, I'm reminded of that scene from Taken where Liam Neeson electrocutes the bad guy. The bad guy thinks if he tells Neeson what he wants, he'll survive. But nah, Neeson leaves the lights on when he walks out. Sometimes I feel like we're trying so hard not to rock the boat, but how do we know that's making a positive difference? Would we better off throwing the cat amongst the pigeons a bit?

I don't know the answer to that, I think you make a fair point, and maybe it simply comes back to how we all handle conflict; I tend to confront it head on which I acknowledge is not always wise. But it's food for thought anyway.

And at the end of the day I just wanted to share that Taken scene. "I believe you. But it's not gonna save you."

Off the top of my head the last person to really take the AFL to task over their fixture was Jeff Kennett. I might be wrong, but he certainly stands out in my memory.

Now the Hawks pretty much own, Sunday twilight 😂😂😂😂

Usually the Lions play the dogs in Ballarat think next season if the Lions play them away it will be at Marvel. With Dunkley joining Brisbane the AFL would want the game at Marvel Stadium for a bigger crowd.

Usually the Lions play the dogs in Ballarat think next season if the Lions play them away it will be at Marvel. With Dunkley joining Brisbane the AFL would want the game at Marvel Stadium for a bigger crowd.
It’s funny how they think that way. I doubt promoting the game as ‘Dunkley vs the Dogs’ would draw an extra 5 people through the turnstiles.

It’s funny how they think that way. I doubt promoting the game as ‘Dunkley vs the Dogs’ would draw an extra 5 people through the turnstiles.
Maybe Andrew and a few of his mates will bother showing up this time.

Zero percent is a long way from full control.

Clubs make a wish list, they make a bit of a song and dance about it, but the AFL gives zero shits, it does whatever it wants focusing on it own financial return & growth, take that to the bank.
It’s more that it’s very obvious we don’t push for it at all. Continuously have less games than the swans and I think a fair few times GWS of all sides which is pretty embarrassing. Whilst we might put in a request it’s clear we don’t really give a shite how many and where we play in Melbourne as long as we get prime time Gabba games. I’ve grown to accept it but it’s a shame. But surely we can reduce the prices. As much as I want to support the club financially with a membership it’s getting ridiculous. I think it was 160 odd for 4 games this year. I don’t count Ballarat. Just not feasible to get there. I got a full season basketball membership for 100 bux a few years ago.

interesting how GWS with no fans can play games in Melb when the AFL go on maximising crowds.
Where when I was at the final against Demons it seemed there was more lions fans.

I say we get Tassie, Ballarat and Cats again against Melb sides.
Then probably Saints and Kangaroos to help their crowds.
Maybe Tigers or Demons or Pies.
Prob due to play swans double up
Also say we head to Perth twice

interesting how GWS with no fans can play games in Melb when the AFL go on maximising crowds.
Where when I was at the final against Demons it seemed there was more lions fans.

I say we get Tassie, Ballarat and Cats again against Melb sides.
Then probably Saints and Kangaroos to help their crowds.
Maybe Tigers or Demons or Pies.
Prob due to play swans double up
Also say we head to Perth twice
Dont think they will send us to Perth twice. We will play either Freo or West Coast twice. The team we play twice will be the team we play once in Perth & once at the Gabba. The other Perth side we only play once will be at the Gabba.

Dont think they will send us to Perth twice. We will play either Freo or West Coast twice. The team we play twice will be the team we play once in Perth & once at the Gabba. The other Perth side we only play once will be at the Gabba.
Apologies if this has been discussed already, I haven’t read the whole thread.

It would more likely be Freo, wouldn’t it?, as we only get one double up against a bottom 6 team from last season.

We will get a double up against Collingwood (top 6).

We’ll get a double up against Gold Coast (middle 6).

Playing the Bulldogs twice sort of makes sense (middle 6).

Hawthorn makes the most sense as the team to play twice, from the bottom 6 teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture 2023 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back