Game Day 2023 Grand Final: Lions v Pies ! (Port hummin still an option in here )

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pies looked fresher in the end and I think that was the difference with two 6 day breaks and travel for GWS.
The Pies have to grab a flag in the next two years because Giants and other teams like Crows and GC will only improve.
Don't think they beat the Lions though. Lions will smash the Blues as one final is a blowout usually and one is close.
Connor Idun and Quaynor. Would kill to have somebody like them in our backline.

Gee, 1 point pre-lim losses;
. Carltank v us 1976
. * v Swans 1996, Carltank 1999
. Pies v Swans 2022
. Giants v Pies 2023.

Bet there may be a few more. Mastermind ?

Last edited:
What was with the commentators continued fixation on the crowd last night? Every 5 minutes ‘listen to the magpie army’ ‘if there was a roof on the place it would blow off’ ect ect ect . BT in particular

To be fair, I was at the game and I've never experienced a crowd like that. It was genuinely like, 96000 Collingwood fans and 1000 GWS fans.

Gee, 1 point pre-lim losses;
. Carltank v us 1976
. * v Swans 1996, Carltank 1999
. Pies v Swans 2022
. Giants v Pies 2023.

Bet there may be a few more. Mastermind ?

No, that's it. North Melbourne in 1976, Sydney 1996, Carlton 1999, Sydney 2022. What do they all have in common?

They lost the next week.

What was with the commentators continued fixation on the crowd last night? Every 5 minutes ‘listen to the magpie army’ ‘if there was a roof on the place it would blow off’ ect ect ect . BT in particular

I think the answer is that they just aren't very good commentators. BT in particular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I was the thinking the same thing.

You don’t watch the Super Bowl or FA Cup and hear this fixation?

But BT has been fixated on attendance since he started, failing to realise that what feeds him are the eyes on sets in living rooms

Pies looked fresher in the end and I think that was the difference with two 6 day breaks and travel for GWS.
The Pies have to grab a flag in the next two years because Giants and other teams like Crows and GC will only improve.
Don't think they beat the Lions though. Lions will smash the Blues as one final is a blowout usually and one is close.
Connor Idun and Quaynor. Would kill to have somebody like them in our backline.
At the ground, Giants looked fresher in the last quarter - I thought with the week off once Pies got ahead in the fourth quarter they would run away with it, but the Giants were running and connecting better. Seemed like they were using extras to win and clear the ball but then Collingwood had their defence including Cameron back ready to intercept so couldn’t get to the goal - and the time they did get through, Sidebottom absolutely saved it with the mark on the goal line (or Greene stuffed it by going for the magic goal instead of finding a teammate, although I can’t remember what options he had).

I was with Collingwood supporters and surrounded by them so it was hard to look the umpiring objectively but I felt in the last part of the game especially they just let a lot go - too much in my view, if there’s a trip or a head high or a pretty clear deliberate OOB you should pay them in the last quarter the way you did in the first.

The crowd was probably a factor in GWS’ nervous start, but not after that. Maybe it affected the umpires early, as those advantage calls and non-calls were pretty bad, although later I found the sudden temporary enthusiasm for paying insufficient intent perplexing.

Why do umpires “put the whistle away” WTF was that? Seriously? Collingwood ******* dived in the footy with no effort to get the ball out for the last minute of the game? High tackles? Nuh? Ok?

Pet hate of mine. So the game's close and/or there's a lot at stake so let's decide to change the rules for the last bit? Either that or the occasion somehow gets to them collectively and they're like deer in the headlights.

Whatever the case, the end of last night's game was very poorly umpired. The four blokes at the Gabba this afternoon would be pretty happy - do a half reasonable job and they have a Grand Final to do next week.

But BT has been fixated on attendance since he started, failing to realise that what feeds him are the eyes on sets in living rooms
I have the sound off , foxtel need to bring back crowd noise option

Pet hate of mine. So the game's close and/or there's a lot at stake so let's decide to change the rules for the last bit? Either that or the occasion somehow gets to them collectively and they're like deer in the headlights.

Whatever the case, the end of last night's game was very poorly umpired. The four blokes at the Gabba this afternoon would be pretty happy - do a half reasonable job and they have a Grand Final to do next week.

BT would claim that he's trying to give the viewer a sense of the atmosphere. Unfortunately, like the majority of BT's wafflings, he doesn't have the vocabulary, sense of occasion or the effort to do it beyond "Gee it's a big crowd. Check out the noise in here. Pies fans are goin' off their nut!!!!!"

Typical of Seven's decline into lazy, cliche-ridden hoopla for all of it's play-by-play commentators. Remember how Bruce, Sandy and Dennis were known for their professionalism, attention to detail and research? They had faults, but at least they showed evidence of preparing for games, avoided outright buffoonery, and their commentary and voice reflected a feel and care for the game.

McLachlan is the only one now who shows any research but lets himself down by using it as irrelevant soundbites that have nothing to do with the game (It's Player X's mum's birthday today and the last time he played here at Metricon, it was his dad's birthday). The rest phone it in. I doubt they'd bother going to a game if they weren't paid for it. They all display the basic knowledge of the main players and events, (ie Player Y is a superstar, Team Z is in a bit of trouble here, that's a contentious umpiring decision - bit like chatting about footy with your Auntie who says she likes footy, has it on in background on Sunday afternoons but hasn't been to a game for 20 years) but never tell you something you can't see for yourself and seem like they're adamant that we watch to hear them. Not only do they add nothing to the coverage, they actively distract from it.

Among countless non decisions in the last I still can’t get my head around Tom Green getting legged and it just getting ignored. There’s really no justifying that.

BT would claim that he's trying to give the viewer a sense of the atmosphere. Unfortunately, like the majority of BT's wafflings, he doesn't have the vocabulary, sense of occasion or the effort to do it beyond "Gee it's a big crowd. Check out the noise in here. Pies fans are goin' off their nut!!!!!"

Typical of Seven's decline into lazy, cliche-ridden hoopla for all of it's play-by-play commentators. Remember how Bruce, Sandy and Dennis were known for their professionalism, attention to detail and research? They had faults, but at least they showed evidence of preparing for games, avoided outright buffoonery, and their commentary and voice reflected a feel and care for the game.

McLachlan is the only one now who shows any research but lets himself down by using it as irrelevant soundbites that have nothing to do with the game (It's Player X's mum's birthday today and the last time he played here at Metricon, it was his dad's birthday). The rest phone it in. I doubt they'd bother going to a game if they weren't paid for it. They all display the basic knowledge of the main players and events, (ie Player Y is a superstar, Team Z is in a bit of trouble here, that's a contentious umpiring decision - bit like chatting about footy with your Auntie who says she likes footy, has it on in background on Sunday afternoons but hasn't been to a game for 20 years) but never tell you something you can't see for yourself and seem like they're adamant that we watch to hear them. Not only do they add nothing to the coverage, they actively distract from it.

POTD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back