Prediction 2023 Ladder Prediction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you fair dinkum?

Cats would have played every team in that 40 game period, and you are saying they haven’t had any tough games, that is hillarious your way of thinking.

It’s like this on Bigfooty

Tigers win the flag - it’s not fair they play all their games at the G

Cats won the flag - it’s not fair they don’t play all their game s at the MCG

and if the cats did play all their games at the G as I previously illustrated (80% wins at KP and 75% win at G) they would have the same result, the 2022 flag
Tigers don't train at the MCG, only Geelong train at their home ground.
Clearly mised my point completely but hey whatever makes you happy.

Not getting the love for Port at all on foxfooty.

Calling them a legit contender.

Seems very strange to me.
Back to back prelims then a fall. Those types tend to be backed to find their way back up. Couple of good additions in theory too.

I wouldn't be surprised anywhere from 1st to 12th but I don't have the confidence everyone else does.

Now that a few trades have gone I reckon it would probably be:

1. Dees (RU)
2. Lions
3. Tigers (P)
4. Carlton
5. Swans
6. Cats
7. Freo
8. Pies
9. Port
10. Saints

Blanket over the rest and WC spoon

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Post trade period

1 Melbourne
2 Geelong
3 Richmond
4 Sydney
5 Lions
6 Blues
7 Pies
8 Port

The 8 is going to be red hot

9 Freo
10 Western Bulldogs
11 Gold Coast big dark horse

Think those 3 all of a huge chance of playing finals also so wouldn’t be surprised if they get into the 8

12 Saints
13 Crows

Not sure about either. Could be good could be average like the last few years.

14 Giants
15 Eagles
16 Bombers

All will be competitive at times but not sure they will do much as they’re embracing building the kids on their lists

17 hawks
18 Roos

Take your pick the Harley Reid sweepstakes have begun! Hawks embracing the tank and who knows what happens with Clarko and North.

Next year is going to be bloody awesome!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consensus is Sydney got to a GF ahead of time with a young list. Yet, most have them dropping off significantly next year. WTF. Never change Bigfooty.
Historically speaking, teams who get thumped in a grand final often have a poor season the next year. You can absolutely make a GF ahead of time (we did in 2015 for example) and then shit the bed the next year (2016).

Historically speaking, teams who get thumped in a grand final often have a poor season the next year. You can absolutely make a GF ahead of time (we did in 2015 for example) and then s**t the bed the next year (2016).
I get it, but every season the wider footy public finds an excuse to tip a Sydney slide. No matter what happens in the previous season or the off-season.

1. Richmond
2. Geelong
3. Fremantle
4. Port Adelaide
5. Melbourne
6. Collingwood
7. Carlton
8. Gold Coast Suns
—————————
9. Western Bulldogs
10. Brisbane Lions
11. Essendon
12. Adelaide Crows
13. GWS Giants
14. Sydney Swans
15. St Kilda
16. North Melbourne
17. Hawthorn
18. West Coast

Usually a team that lost a prelim fall out of the 8

Last edited:
My revised, post-trade ladder. I've put in some thoughts as to why I've put each side (Top 8 and 18th side) where I've put them inside the spoiler under each team. Sorry if I have your team in an unfavourable position. I'm pretty unbiased as a fan, with some love for Melbourne, Sydney and Geelong - I try not to let this sway my opinions though.

I'm pretty stiff on Richmond, Freo and the WBD here. I make no apologies for my bold predictions but all three of those sides could do very, very well. My only hope is that one of them don't win the flag after I've tipped them to miss the eight!

1. Brisbane
    With the addition of an A+ midfielder, the best kid (or thereabouts) in the Country and a reliable, lead up KPF with sniper like precision it's hard to put Brisbane anywhere but first.

Keys to improvement:
    • An uninterrupted pre-season for Cam Rayner
    • Jarrod Berry to maintain his late year/finals form
    • Ashcroft being ready to go in the elite competition
    • Dunkley/Gunston add more layers to their midfield and forward mix
    Where they could fall:
    - Does Fages survive? If he doesn't, they will fall.

2. Geelong
    Reigning premiers, they lose Selwood however they gain Bruhn, that gun from the Falcons, Ollie Henry (Who will absolutely play a lot of senior footy) and Jack Bowes. A lot of midfield depth now. Competition for spots aplenty and an injection of exciting youth.

Keys to improvement:
    • Bruhn, Bowes or the Falcons kid needs to play 15+ games and be that 3rd midfielder
    • Henry to usurp Rohan or someone elses role in the team
    Where they could fall:
    - Too old too slow? We hear that every single year. Time is undefeated, will they defy it once more?

3. Carlton
    Underperformed in 2022, on the back of availability issues to our KPD, Ruck and in the latter half of the season - our Midfield stocks. Not to mention, Carlton lacked the ability to shift through the gears in 2022, something that sides like Collingwood and Geelong were able to do with apparent ease. Bolstering an area of need by adding the tall and hard running Acres to the wing, coupled with squad continuity and hopefully improved fitness - Carlton should rise the ladder further.

Keys to improvement:
    • Can the fringe HFF's/Wings/Mids put pressure on the 22? One of Dow, Philp, Cuningham, Carroll etc. needs to make the step up
    • Acres addition should assist our biggest weakness, transition football
    • Improved squad availability, our overall team fitness could not be any worse than it has been in 21/22
    Where they could fall:
    • Squad availability, do the likes of Cripps, Charles, Doc all stay fit?
    • Can our fringe players make the step up? Been a knock on Carlton for years
    • Mid:Forward connection has been really poor, they have the two most recent Coleman Medalists and need to tidy this part of their game up if they want to effectively leverage the twin tower combination.

4. Melbourne
    Can't see Melbourne dropping away too much, there is too much quality in this side to see them not finish in the top six. They replace Jackson with Grundy who should, in the immediate term make them better (Long term is a different story, however). Hunter is a powerful addition to their side too, who effectively replaces Hunt. They lose nothing in squad depth, replacing Weids with Schache and upgraded a few positions on the field.

Keys to improvement:
    • Gawn needs to kick more goals, or at the very least someone must step up.
    • Can more midfielders kick goals? Hunter probably one I'd look to get forward. Very crafty.

Where they could fall:
    • Another year in the legs of Gawn, can he perform to the same level he has? He is crucial to their success
    • Is the mid-size Forward here to stay? If Fritta is nulled, someone else will really need to step up as a goalkicker. They lack talent here, hence my point on Gawn

5. Sydney
    The Grand Final thumping will hurt, and will have lasting influence on this squad if history is anything to go by. They have plenty of talent on every single line and should still contend. They could still finish in the four. Is Logan McDonald ready to take the throne from Buddy? Can Buddy be pushed up the ground and play as a Matty Richardson type rather than a hit up forward?

Keys to improvement:
    • Alternate KPF needs to kick 40ish goals (Amartey, McLean, McDonald)
    • Ladhams is supremely talented, can he improve and be a weapon as a Ruck/Forward?

Where they could fall:
    - Again, what is the value of a mid-size Forward in 2023? Not sure you can rely on Heeney as a mid-sizer or Papley as a small to snag winning scores.

6. Collingwood
    The Pies surprised everyone this year with a sublime performance in 2022. They over-achieved and I feel they will normalise as a solid, top six competitor next year. Do not underestimate them, they could go as high as the top four again. Their brand is built around their talent and the talent they've introduced compliments this brand further. Loss of Henry who will be a star is notable, but addition of Mitchell and Hill will add layers to their game.

Keys to improvement:
    • If you can get Naicos on ball he could win the Charlie. If he goes to this level they could do anything. Big if, he is very, very small but his brother stacked the muscle on with ease so you'd expect him to be similar.
    • Mitchell will offset their contested ball losses significantly
    • McStay adds a genuine lead-up option that they lacked - he won't kick you 50 goals but he provides a big target that compliments their slingshot footy

Where they could fall:
    • Will their game plan be exposed next year? Teams will go to work on their extremely effective game style
    • Will their defenders be exposed for the long leg-ropes they offer their direct opponents? Charlie and Harry had about 35 disposals between them and 12 shots on goal in a game the Pies won. If other teams can expose their KPD's in this way they will lose more games without doubt.

7. Gold Coast
    Gold Coast are more than capable of making the eight next year. Their Forward line was very potent, and that is without perhaps the most talented KPF in the game in Ben King. How much more damaging does Chol become with King in the side? How good is Casboult as a 3rd tall option? 2x Ruck/Forwards in Chol/Casboult i50 with one of the best KPF's in the game at FF and a top 6 engine room.. A lot to like about the Suns in 2023.

Keys to improvement:
    • King needs 50+ - he is every chance to do so
    • Rowell must spread from the contest better, far too good to not be following up on his own hard work
    • Anderson and Touk are A++ Players and with a better forward line to kick to next year their games will only look cleaner

Where they could fall:
    - I don't know enough about their deficiencies, though they seem to be missing a small forward option now which may hurt them on the transition in 2023.

8. Essendon
    The Dons - the smokey for 8th. Extremely talented list on paper, with a 50+ goal per year KPF at FF and the addition of Weids as another tall option. Their developing youth, particularly Martin, Cox, Caldwell, Jones etc. should be expected to go to another level in 2023. A full pre-season for Stringer, the addition of Setterfield as a big bodied midfielder and point of difference may be enough to see them enter the 8 again.

Keys to improvement:
    • Stringer needs to get fit
    • Weideman needs to play consistent football and snag 30+
    • Can Setterfield provide that much needed big body in the middle to protect the likes of Merrett, Parish, Sheil, Caldwell etc.?
    • Nic Martin is a future superstar - I am confident he will win a club B&F during his career. If he can go at 20/1 a game next year like he did this year then he is seriously going to help their chances. Better yet, if he can elevate his game and put on some size, spending some time in the engine room then look out.
    • Cox is an unknown quantity, a 200cm winger with crazy endurance. Get him fit.

Where they could fall:
    • Does Parish hurt you enough with his disposal? If not, it's hard to see who takes his spot
    • Their chances hinge on their highly touted youth - can they make the step up?
    • Does a new system introduce soft tissue injuries galore?
    • Does a new system take some tinkering? Will they know how to play for eachother?

9. Richmond

10. Fremantle

11. Adelaide

12. Port Adelaide

13. Western Bulldogs

14. West Coast

15. St. Kilda

16. North Melbourne

17. Greater Western Sydney

18. Hawthorn
    Where to start.. No Mitchell, No O'Meara.. Their midfield is now pitifully weak, yes they will initiate trials by fire but there is no guarantee that this will yield any meaningful result. Paddy Dow was considered by most, if not all recruiters as the 2nd or 3rd best kid from his draft. Throwing him in the deep end only stifled his confidence. I do not see how the Hawks can finish outside the bottom two. Mitch Lewis and co. (Kozzi, Jeka etc.) may provide enough firepower under the old, wise head of Breust to just avoid 18th, but it's a stretch.

Keys to improvement:
    • Jeka and Kosi - one of these kids needs to step up and make their mark next year. Both talented enough to play 2nd fiddle to Mitch Lewis and will need to do so with Gunston gone.
    • Newcombe will need to lead by example in the middle, focus will be centered on him now
    • They have great ruck stocks, with Reeves, Lynch and Meek all formidable talents
    • Opportunity to blood youth, a couple kids development will be fast tracked
    Where they could fall:
    • Lost a Brownlow medalist and known quantity in Mitchell who really steadies the ship for them.
    • KPP stocks are more or less, all young - less a couple. Retirement of McEvoy and loss of Gunston hurts their on-field leadership

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2023 Ladder Prediction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back