MRP / Trib. 2023 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait until an accidental knee to the head in a marking contest gets put up…..it’s coming

Gleeson said, that if you can foresee prohibitive contact and make it, it’s a reportable offence.

Which can’t be true, every player who jumps for a pack mark, makes contact with their knee to a persons back, neck or head.

Has the Melbourne thug got off yet?

Must admit it’s nice to not be us for a change that has the only player suspended ever for a rule of the week crackdown

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know that Christian is to blame here, he's essentially enforcing the AFL's directive that any contact to the head will lead to consequences.
This incident is precisely why that sort of approach does not work..

you're being generous - the whole 'system' - appointing one man - was designed to be manipulated.

you're being generous - the whole 'system' - appointing one man - was designed to be manipulated.
The system is deeply flawed, no doubt.
There's a tendency here & elsewhere though, to blame the umpire or to blame Christian specifically, for issues of law or rule when, to my knowledge, neither party are involved in any change in directive but are tasked with ensuring compliance with it.
IMO if you don't like the law/rule, direct angst to those responsible for it, rather than those policing it.

There's a tendency here & elsewhere though, to blame the umpire or to blame Christian specifically, for issues of law or rule when, to my knowledge, neither party are involved in any change in directive but are tasked with ensuring compliance with it.
IMO if you don't like the law/rule, direct angst to those responsible for it, rather than those policing it.
It wasn't the rules that suspended Cripps for 2, or Van Rooyen, or that gave a week to Harry and Newman.
It was 100% down to an incompetent Christian, and in the cases of Cripps and Van Rooyen, the tribunal as well.

The best thing about the appeal outcome was this line: "It's not for this board to redraft the laws of Australian Football in circumstances whereby the meaning of the law is clear on the face of it."

In other words, if the AFL wants to change how the game is played, they should stop trying to do it by stealth via suspensions. Put forward rule changes, wear the criticism, have a constructive discussion, and find a reasonable compromise. Much as I agree with the criticism of Christian, it's also true that the AFL's mismanagement of this whole area has set him up to fail.

The whole point of this case is Christian ****ed up the laws of the game (likely at the direction of the AFL). Graded as a strike rather than contact, the fact it was cited at all despite being a legitimate spoil, the fact that the tribunal agreed it was a legitimate spoil but still upheld the suspension. It was a series of idiots making things up as they went along, and why it was eventually overturned when an actual lawyer got to the bottom of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back